Thread: Cold weather game camera?

Default Cold weather game camera?

My wife was looking up game cameras (YES!!) and she said that most were functional to 0 degrees, and she only found one that worked at -20. Now that we live in Delta Junction, she's concerned about how well they would work in our cold temperatures.

Having never used one, I would greatly appreciate suggestions on whether temp is a big deal or not - and what are some models you folks might suggest?

Much appreciated, Dave Curtis

I have the Cuddie Back cameras and they work good in cold weather, but they go thru batteries when the temp drops here... I have them out all winter in WI monitering the deer on our farm and they do a good job even in that -20 range... Just gonna have to replace batteries is all...

Thanx, anyone up here have comments on Cuddie Back? Any particular model?

Hey Bigdog which models do you use? i had two excites and they both went haywire on me and cuddeback wouldnt do anything for me. Shoulda burned that $600! oh well. My hunting partner has had very bad luck with bushnell 8 megapixel smart scouters also, two went down last year after 3 months of use. i would sure like to find something more reliable.

Default AVOID Cuddeback

Something happened with their company a while back ~4-5 years ago with their customer service and quality of their products. I won't buy from them anymore.

I have had multiple photo sensors on cameras go bad after only very light use and they would not back them.

I have had excellent results with Reconyx (although not in negative temps). Also, I tested a Moultrie I9, that I got for Christmas, over a couple of nights. It was in the single digits and it held its battery life quite well.

I bought a Stealth Cam (STC-U8401R) Getting it programed is a real PITA.. Maybe a 10 yr old kid wouldn't have any trouble with the programming...but I did. Batteries don't seem to last very long in cold wx. However, when it does decide to take a picture, they are really good quality photos. Placement can be a problem... The first time I set it up I had it facing East... Every clear day when the sun came up and topped out over the spruce trees, the bright sunshine would trigger the camera... had some great sunrise photos...!

10 4 . Customer support actually hung up on me because we were arguing about who should pay for my second camera to be fixed. NEVER EVER AGAIN. JUNK.

i know marc cuddeback personally and will vouch for him and his cameras...everyone has ****ty employees at times. i dont use cameras at all for hunting, but after guideing marc this past spring he sent me a couple cameras to try out. i told him i wanted to use on one on a wolverine set in neg temps while trapping...i did...it worked just fine. i'm pretty dumb with technology, but figured the camera out in a matter of minutes. it was the newer one...forget the model name but i'm purty sure it was the stealth as well. didnt get a wolverine to fall for that set, but the camera worked just fine, and triggererd a couple times in cold (neg 20 and 30) weather. anyway, like i said, limited experience with cameras in general, but my experience with the man behind the product was very good...and his story is a cool one. he pretty much started the industry and his cameras still lead it.

i have used both the cudde and bushnell camera's, and both will work fine from 0-20 below. not sure after that, so if your in Delta, you may be out of luck! As mentioned earlier, the cudde does go through the batteries faster than the bushnell, and the new cudde camera's are not very user friendly when it comes to veiwing pictures on anything other than your computer! they convert your chips to a cudde file, and you can not veiw them on portable veiwers or cameras! They will not stand behind their product if it is more than a couple years old, and will only offer a credit towards the purchase of a new or rebuilt camera! they do take awesome pictures and video, but i have had no issues with the bushnells and chose to go that route! the low end camera's chew through batteries and would be of no use in your climate. You could look at the option of running one off of a larger external batterry for extreme cold if battery life is unaceptable in extreme cold.

The best compact camera that's out on the Market is the Nikon AW100. It shoots great pictures and 16MP. The camera is for hard core use...hunting, surfing, skydiving, ect. Anyway, it's waterproof to 33 feet, shock proof to 5 foot drops, and it's freeze proof to 15 F. It's got awesome video with HD 1080P and even a GPS. Anyway, if you want a great camera, you can't go wrong with this one.

hmmm, i can view mine on my digital sony camera just fine? really. i just pull the card and flip through the photos on my camera...thought thats what everyone did. didnt know it wouldnt work on some. either way, i'm no big trail cam user...but i had decent luck at COLD temps for up to a week or two on the same batteries....much longer when it wasnt so cold. does use em up though. and as long as the product was comparable, i'd give a guy like marc and a small american company like his my money everyday before bushnell...just my opinion though.

I have four of the Capture model, they have been rocksolid for me.... Only problem I ever had was a bear chewed on one but it still worked and I shot the bear two days later with my Mathews so that took care of the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
    Hey Bigdog which models do you use? i had two excites and they both went haywire on me and cuddeback wouldnt do anything for me. Shoulda burned that $600! oh well. My hunting partner has had very bad luck with bushnell 8 megapixel smart scouters also, two went down last year after 3 months of use. i would sure like to find something more reliable.

The Leupold RCX2 do not like cool weather, much less cold. Very voltage sensitive it seems.
    Reconyx are very good and very expensive. Some of the Reconyx are rated to -40.
    In your cold I think an auxiliary battery would be necessary.
    This site has lots of game cam info.

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/index.php
    "The older I get, the better I was."

i never ran into any problems with the older cudde's veiwing photos' on a veiwer or digital camera.......the problem was on the new capture IR! It not only put the cudde pictures in the IR file, but converted the previous pictures on several chips to an un-readable I.R file? I have a cudde outlet close to me and was able to take the camera and chips there, and the gal working there pulled the images off for me! Maybe there are only certain camera's that will not read the file, so if you have a Nikon cool pics, you may want to check first for compatability. I'm all for supporting a small local company, but their producy warranty and customer service could use a little polishing.

Lunder and Nine,

I was very disappointed with Cuddeback. When I lived in Michigan, I worked at a ProShop. I recommended and sold their cameras because I thought they were a great product.

When customers began bringing them back and then Cudde wouldn't go good for them and myself it was extremely frustrating. The amount that Cudde offers as a credit doesn't come close to dealer cost of the camera. Plus, they want the broken camera so they can fix the $20 broken part and sell it to someone else! Why can't they repair my camera and send it back to me?

Ninefoot - If you talk to Marc regularly, could you ask him about this? I still have my broken Capture. If he would like to repair it I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Spartan Gunner; 02-26-2012 at 21:08. Reason: punctuation