Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2012 elk tag

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    15

    Default 2012 elk tag

    I drew a cow elk tag for oct on SW afognak. I have been reading the forum posts and searching online but still have a few questions.
    1- is there any landing strips for bush planes
    2- whats the best place to start hiking in from

    Im really excited about this hunt and i realize its going to be an expensive hunt.
    Justin

  2. #2
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    I'm pretty sure that Raspberry Island Remote Camp does drop off's and pick ups over there. Seems they were dropping hunters off there when I stayed with them for a Raspberry Island elk hunt. You could call Birch or Tiffany and they could answer a lot of your questions, I'm sure. It's a top notch spot with excellent people and a very reasonable price. Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by central8-23 View Post
    I drew a cow elk tag for oct on SW afognak. I have been reading the forum posts and searching online but still have a few questions.
    1- is there any landing strips for bush planes
    2- whats the best place to start hiking in from

    Im really excited about this hunt and i realize its going to be an expensive hunt.
    Justin
    Hey Justin, I drew the DE713 tag and might be looking for a partner to split expenses. Would you be interested?
    Like the gentleman said The remote lodge is affordable if you run the numbers. Also Andrews Air is 400.each way for a cessna 206 with a 750lb. limit for both guys and gear. Anyway just wanted to put some feelers out and see if you had interest. I hunted Afognak Is. 5 years ago and we got a nice fat cow and a deer so i have some local knowledge.
    Thanks Donald

  4. #4
    Member northernalberta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanX View Post
    Hey Justin, I drew the DE713 tag and might be looking for a partner to split expenses. Would you be interested?
    Like the gentleman said The remote lodge is affordable if you run the numbers. Also Andrews Air is 400.each way for a cessna 206 with a 750lb. limit for both guys and gear. Anyway just wanted to put some feelers out and see if you had interest. I hunted Afognak Is. 5 years ago and we got a nice fat cow and a deer so i have some local knowledge.
    Thanks Donald
    Donald and Justin,

    I also have drawn the DE 713 and looking to put a party together. My tag is good from 10/8 to 10/22 and I think I'd like to go towards the tail end of that & maybe stay a little longer to hunt bulls on a registration tag. If either of you are interested in collaborating and sharing costs, email me at northernalberta@yahoo(dot)com. I would have sent a private msg but it looks like I can't do so as you're new members.

    ~ Garnet

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by central8-23 View Post
    I drew a cow elk tag for oct on SW afognak. I have been reading the forum posts and searching online but still have a few questions.
    1- is there any landing strips for bush planes
    2- whats the best place to start hiking in from

    Im really excited about this hunt and i realize its going to be an expensive hunt.
    Justin
    I want to ask a question, but I want you to know that I am not meaning to sound crass or disruptive. I just would like to know why you are excited about a cow elk hunt knowing all the expense and travel involved for a cow elk? Is it the uniqueness of the animal and hunting something new, or is it just the opportunity to hunt somewhere cool? I am being very sincere as I would like to learn more about other hunters. I have watched some videos of this hunt on youtube, so maybe you can check those out for curiosity's sake. Regardless, I wish you luck and good planning.

  6. #6
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    GOOOOOOD EAAATTTTTSSS!!! thats what a cow elk tag is...wild hunt, one of the hardest i've ever done in my life!! they are the size of cow moose with out question!!
    i hunted malina lakes in sw afognak a few years back...busy place, no fee to hunt the native land there so there was 14 hunters on the lake.saw 141 elk, all in the same herd, no bulls. wished i'd have taken a raft for the lake and a fishing rod, the silvers and dollies in there were amazing!! saw one deer...would do it again for sure!

    difference between shooting a cow elk a bull....braggin' rights, thats about it. i personally don't hunt to make other people happy or impressed. my family would be more impressed with a freezer full of meat, GOOD meat. they could care less if that freezer full of meat came with antlers.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  7. #7
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    2 coworkers just split an elk from the place in FBX. Way cheaper than an actual hunt.

  8. #8

    Default

    I went to SW Afognak this may for a bear hunt. I saw the elk herd twice while hunting bears. I flew into the lower Malina Lake and hiked about 1.5 miles toward the coast. The coast was another 1.5 miles from camp. Both times I saw the herd (around 25 head). They were toward the coast grazing. Once they were on the north side of Malina Creek and once on the south side. This was in a 4 day span of time. I also hunted Raspberry Island last October with a bull tag. It didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it to. You can see the outcome of my hunt on an episode of Coast Guard Alaska! I used Seahawk Air and was very impressed with their operation. They have good prices and Roland was an excellent pilot. The elk were very easy to spot from a distance on both my bear hunt and the elk hunt mentioned earlier. I hope that this information helps. I did down an elk on Raspberry Island but was unable to recover it due to unforeseen circumstances.

  9. #9
    Member northernalberta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    I want to ask a question, but I want you to know that I am not meaning to sound crass or disruptive. I just would like to know why you are excited about a cow elk hunt knowing all the expense and travel involved for a cow elk? Is it the uniqueness of the animal and hunting something new, or is it just the opportunity to hunt somewhere cool? I am being very sincere as I would like to learn more about other hunters. I have watched some videos of this hunt on youtube, so maybe you can check those out for curiosity's sake. Regardless, I wish you luck and good planning.
    To answer your question specifically, I had visions of bagging not only elk but deer... and possibly a bull elk on a registration tag. A big herd floating around a small island beats combing miles and miles of unit 26B on foot looking for caribou. I was hoping to put together a group to offset the cost. And as for elk, I come from Alberta and have hunted elk for years there and they are a blast to hunt. Very social, and pretty intelligent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •