Thread: Promised Wife Island & Beach for Anniversary... Nunivak Muskox (part 2)

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Default Promised Wife Island & Beach for Anniversary... Nunivak Muskox (part 2)

As we prepared to make our final stalk operator error and cold weather struck...We could not keep either of the camera's batteries warm enough to record the last few minutes but after waiting a considerable amount of time, our bull finally presented a clear shot...One shot from the 45/70 Marlin with 325 gn lever revolution ammo from approx 120 yards and he dropped in place...We gave him a few minutes and then approached him and thanked him...The other bulls initially stood over him but then just kind of wandered off...As we approached he was still breathing and needed a coup de' grace...

IMG_0472.jpg

Four hours of meat care and about a 55 mile ride back to town and our anniversary was nearly over...We headed back to ANC via St. Mary's and Bethel...Wasn't enough room for the hide and skull so we took our 251 lbs of boned meat and shipped the rest back a few days later when the airplane had enough room...

Muskox hunting was quite an adventure and now my wife thinks all hunts should be just like that and doesn't understand why I was moose hunting for 15 days...The meat is incredible and while I was not able to do it on the same budget as CGSwimmer it was well worth everything we put into it...Fred says it should make Boone and Crockett as it scored 114 3/8 green...Something I never even considered...

But next year she says if I want to take her to the beach for our anniversary it better be WARM!!!

I would have posted more pictures but having issues so that is it...best of luck to all the draw winners this year...
    Attached Images Attached Images

114", holy cow! That three pic combo doesn't do it justice. I'd love to see some good individual pics of that guy. B&C minimum is 105, so 114" would put you middle to upper book. Seriously, you have to post a couple good pics for me.

Man, thats a Beast!! Your really fortunate to have a wife that will come along on trips like that, make for a great adventure for the both of you. Good job on a great hunt!!

Sounds like you have a great wife and got one heck of a Muskox congrats on both accounts!

What did you end up doing with your horns and hide?

A couple close ups...
    P2170273.jpgP2170274.jpg

We are having a full mount done...

IMG_0480.jpg

The bullet was found in the opposite hide, just under the skin...(no pass thru)

P2180276.jpg

thanks for the kind comments...

last ones...

P2170268.jpgGOPR0003.jpg

sorry there are not any pics of the stalk....had to warm up the batteries before we could get any photography done

Those pics are much better. Awesome bull! Bosses look pretty even and he has really good length. What did he have for horn length and boss width? He looks pretty even all the way around so if 114" is your gross score you probably won't lose much for the net score.

Really, really nice musk ox.

Wow! Congrats Indy! What a nice animal, and cool deal on the full body mount. Great job to you and your wife. And way to use your one chance at using the line 'Island and Beach Anniversary'. It'll never work again, but you played your card at the best time and used it wisely.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Awesome! Hope to do that someday!