Thread: Fortymile Herd Locale?

Default Fortymile Herd Locale?

Has anyone been out following the fortymile herd in zone 1 lately? I went last weekend off the Steese and couldn't track them down. I'm looking to head back out this weekend before the close of the season so if anyone would like to share some recent sightings with me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I also called the fish and game and they haven't flown over the herd in a few weeks so they don't have an up to date location.

Thanks for the help!

Newsminer said about 10 were reported from Zone 1 last weekend, so there are a few left. I was out that way with my sister and spotted maybe 18-20 but they weren't anywhere we could retrieve them from so they got a pass from her. I saw plenty of tracks, but they all looked like they were traveling and not doing much hanging around.

I would stake out travel routes if you can find them, and hope for the best. Keep an eye on a the creek bottoms too.

Yk

This thread from the small game forum says they've been seen on the Steese.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Steese-Lately
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I've been up the highway twice with the dog looking for birds and I haven't seen the first caribou. I saw some tracks on the creek and some droppings in the middle of the highway though. Of course I never bird hunt 12 miles off the road so who knows what the caribou situation is looking like in the legal hunting area...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

The hotline said a large group moved into the closed zone of area 1 around the 6th and a trapping friend in the area coroborated with that update. I went up the north fork of the Chena River last weekend. I saw some tracks made within the previous week, but glassed and glassed and didn't see one caribou. I would like to check again before the end of the season.

I lil birdie once told me to follow the Yukon Quest trail . . . about 11 miles from the birch cr parking lot, ya cross Crooked Cr. Don't know if its staked or snow covered now . . . just food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    I lil birdie once told me to follow the Yukon Quest trail . . . about 11 miles from the birch cr parking lot, ya cross Crooked Cr. Don't know if its staked or snow covered now . . . just food for thought
    That's been the word all year. In addition to guide requirements and lottery drawings, DFG has the option of making hunts machine-only, which excludes a large enough portion of the possible hunting crowd and keeps the herd numbers where they want them.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.