Thread: when is to late to place station

Default when is to late to place station

i was wondering what is the latest you guys have put your stations out. I just moved back to alaska last june so my one year will not be over till the first week of june. i will be attending a clinic and taking the test but need to know if the 6th of june is to late to set a station this year and hope for any success. if that would be to late then i will not be purchasing suplies this year but if its not to late i need to start stocking up now. thank you guys for any advise.

Matt Searls

If you scroll down to about page 3 (or so) of the threads in this bear baiting forum, you'll find lots of stories about baiting around that time.

I'd go for it!

Id definitely give it a try. If there are bears in the area they just might show up if they aren't busy chasing moose calves.
    You'll definitely learn something new which is always a bonus. If you go ahead and establish a bait site this year, they might be more prone to coming back next season as well.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The latest I set up a station in the Squarebanks area was first week of June, and I killed a bear 4 days later. If I were you, I'd go for it...nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you don't do it, you'll be kicking yourself the whole time for not even trying...been there.

I put out a bait on the 11th of May last year, and it didn't get hit till nearly June 1. Go for it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

have you considered getting someone who is a resident as a partner? That way you could get your bait out a little earlier and once you are a resident you would have a good chance that you already have bears on your bait.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

thanks for the information I will be putting a station out and if nothing more ill see for sure what kind of bear population there is in the area. I know there were bears there last year I seen sign on a couple of hiking trips last year. Kasilofchrisn that would be the best way to do it but none of my freinds who are residents that bait. looks like its time to take the course and start getting ready

Matt

I usually have most bear activity the last 3 weeks of June.

I would set it up. Like eveyone has said seems like the bears dont really get that active on baits until the begining of June. I have had a couple in may but they come in get a few bites and leave. Mid June to the end of June is when the really start hitting hard.

Quote Originally Posted by msaerls View Post
    thanks for the information I will be putting a station out and if nothing more ill see for sure what kind of bear population there is in the area. I know there were bears there last year I seen sign on a couple of hiking trips last year. Kasilofchrisn that would be the best way to do it but none of my freinds who are residents that bait. looks like its time to take the course and start getting ready. Matt
    Matt, come April put a notice on here of your situation and looking for a partner for this season in your area, you should have several responses, talk with them and see who fits in best with your ideas. Thats a good idea shown above, will improve success. Bud
    Wasilla

I won't be back to Alaska until about the first week of May and the wife already told me I have to bait this year. I usually put bait out the day the season opens but don't really start getting hit good until around Memorial Day weekend.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I'd say if you wait until June 30th, you're too late.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I won't be back to Alaska until about the first week of May and the wife already told me I have to bait this year. I usually put bait out the day the season opens but don't really start getting hit good until around Memorial Day weekend.
    i put mine all out in may most blackies are not unitl may anyway..

but this year half my baits will be out early to establish sites for next year.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here