Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to get rid of the pike in Alexander?

Default Want to get rid of the pike in Alexander?

Try this looks like it might just work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VT2s...yer_detailpage

Thats funny! I went to alexander last weekend and didn't catch one with 4 lines in the water. We did hook 2, but hook wasn't set well enough. Its a big lake, and I wasn't sure where to fish...

What do you suppose they do with all them fish? They should send them to africa or somewhere like on one of those commercials that shows all those people starving..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Try this looks like it might just work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VT2s...yer_detailpage

I think they sell them. I bet with a fence across the lake youd get a pile of snot rockets from alexander...

I have not gone out to Alexander this year. I read in the paper last year that F&G recieved money to try and get rid of them out there but I did not know how to follow up and see if that ever happened. Anyone else read that? Can anyone confirm whether that happened or not?

I remember reading that they were netting the first 10 miles of the creek from the mouth of the Su. Not sure if they ever messed with the lake.

with the spread of pike into so many areas what would be the upside of only addressing the one lake or creek. i think that we are experiencing the flux of specie distribution. there should be a flatting of the displacement of traditional fish populations at some point.

Off topic, but is this a burbot???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv1yO...eature=related
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

my vote is yes

Its a wells catfish...Would be a hoot on a jig stick...

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    I remember reading that they were netting the first 10 miles of the creek from the mouth of the Su. Not sure if they ever messed with the lake.
    They have been netting from Trail Creek (14 mile) to past Sucker creek and towards the lake. They are tagging some of them and tracking them. I think in the fall when the water is low enough to empty the side sloughs they head back to the lake. Catching some nice bows and grayling in october and no pike! They might do some netting down here in the mouth too as there are plenty down here in the early summer. Our lagoon is full of them them.

The netting between the spawing grounds seems to be doing some good but you'll never get rid of them all. If they do this on a yearly basis it will help the kings rejuvinate, already has if you ask me. Then again they will open it up again balls to the wall and they'll be gone again. If they kept it to a weekend fishery it would be nice. But Fish and feathers has a hard time listening to thier biologists as far as I can tell.

As I said you will never get rid of them, I agree with Mr. Pid. The water temp has warmed in the years and the creek is slower than it was, Perfect for Pike!

My girlfriend's dad has a cabin about 9 miles up Alexander. We saw some Kings run through this year, and we caught some silvers as well. Still see pike though. I remember going down by the mouth in late May and seeing a bunch of REALLY big ones just sitting in the weeds, refusing to bite or move.

The whole Susitna area has so many pike, the efforts to eradicate them will never happen. They need to open up a $1 bounty per head. I think that would be a blast, and semi effective.

heck, at .50 i could have put my kids through college with what i caught out of nancy lake creek this summer.

My question is how the heck do they get the fish to concentrate in such a small area like that.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Nancy Lake Creek, is that on the southern end of the lake? You would pass through a shallow channel (over a submerged cable) into a small bay and then into the creek? I been through there, caught a couple, even made it to the little lake/large pond on the other end. Was'nt as hot as I would have expected. It was in July of last year... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    heck, at .50 i could have put my kids through college with what i caught out of nancy lake creek this summer.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Does anyone know where on Alexander lake is deepest in the winter. We drilled some holes on the southern end and had trouble finding more than a foot of water under the ice...Don't need an exact spot, just a tip or heads up. PM is fine. I would like to kill a bunch of pike deep fried they are phenomenal.

Thanks

i like to take the dirt road/trail that is on the left before you get to the lake. sorry i dont think the road has a name we call it the pike hole road. right when the ice goes out they are stacked in like cord wood. i caught 50 in about 1.5 hrs. biggest was about 30".

So the creek is not really accesable by boat via Nancy Lake then hu?... If you care to share that spot, maybe send me a pm when you go... if we can get there by boat, then your welcome to ride in mine... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    i like to take the dirt road/trail that is on the left before you get to the lake. sorry i dont think the road has a name we call it the pike hole road. right when the ice goes out they are stacked in like cord wood. i caught 50 in about 1.5 hrs. biggest was about 30".
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

sorry im not trying to give bad directions i just dont know the mile post. it's past zero lake road maybe a mile on the opposite (south) side. the slue looks deep enough for a small skiff but i have not run from the lake down to the bridge. no problem with a canoe or float tube.i will drive up there tomorrow and get a better mile post. i just fish them from the bank. i had to keep switching between a rappala and a muddler minnow fly to make them keep biting.

went and checked the mile post its 63.9. down the hill cross the tracks and about 1/2 mi. down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast