Thread: Soar Pro Pioner - Kodiak Bear/Deer Hunt

Default Soar Pro Pioner - Kodiak Bear/Deer Hunt

Was curious if anyone ever used a Soar Pro Pioneer for Bear/Deer Hunts on Kodiak? I have one, and was curious if I could use it instead of renting an inflatable zodiak style raft. Of course I would need to buy a motor mount for it. Any insight would be helpful, but especially interested to hear from those with Pro Pioneer experience.

Casey

Certainly a viable option. I can think of two places in particular on kodiak where the pro pioneer would be preferable to a traditional boat.

We used a Big Rig raft last fall and found it to be very useful.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

steve, is there any way you could mount a motor to one of those? how many people could you sqeeze into one? would you cross 6 miles of braided ocean in one with a motor?

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    steve, is there any way you could mount a motor to one of those? how many people could you sqeeze into one? would you cross 6 miles of braided ocean in one with a motor?
    No I don't think a motor would be an option on the Big Rig. It will hold 2 people and gear easy, we had 2 guys, gear and a deer and had plenty of lift to add more. No I would not cross 6 miles of braided ocean in one.

This would do it, Jet Ranger and outboard, I use mine with both the 25hp Jet and 10hp prop.

Founding Member

Steve,
    how was the big rig? Read some good reviews from L.B's website, but how was your experience with it, and would it be good in the Brooks? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Steve,
    how was the big rig? Read some good reviews from L.B's website, but how was your experience with it, and would it be good in the Brooks? Thanks
    I was impressed by the Big Rig,, it would make a great raft for a Brooks Range float.

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve,
    Thanks for the pics! Looked like a great trip!
    I guess what I really want to know is if anyone has experience with the PP motor mount? What motor, shaft length, hp etc.? Trying to save some money on buying/renting another raft since the tag gods were so good to me this year!

Chisana,
    My hunt is in Uganik bay.

Casey

Quote Originally Posted by 340 WBY View Post
    Steve,
    Thanks for the pics! Looked like a great trip!
    I guess what I really want to know is if anyone has experience with the PP motor mount? What motor, shaft length, hp etc.? Trying to save some money on buying/renting another raft since the tag gods were so good to me this year!

Chisana,
    My hunt is in Uganik bay.

Casey
    Sent Larry B a PM and ask, he has lots of experience with PP. Might also ask on the pristine adventures site.
    Founding Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sent Larry B a PM and ask, he has lots of experience with PP. Might also ask on the pristine adventures site.
    I have talked to larry a few times about the mount... (and not to mis speak intentionally) as i understand he did not make the mount.. and has not used it..

i have one. have installed it hung the motor.. and never put it in the water.. not sure why.. i bought a 2.5 hp to play with.. but on the dry ground.. it JUST reached past the raft..

i would LOVE to try a long shaft this spring.. they will handle up to.. 5 hp.. maybe higher with a few mods.. I have looked at mine and thought of beefing up the mount, with cross bars and a loop in the front.. the xross bars being floor support. have also considerd a smalll HP mud motor.. but need to beable to suppor the weight.. 5 hp rated @ ~ 50-65 lbs.. vs mud motor @~ 125-145 lbs..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey Casey,

Congrats on the tags. I saw a thread on this before with pics of a transom a guy built. I will try to find it for you.

steve, how many people or how much weight do you think the 13' 2" one could hold safely?

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    steve, how many people or how much weight do you think the 13' 2" one could hold safely?
    also steve, what motor would, in your opinion, be the best for both performance and weight purposes for a brown bear hunt in a bay with potential for a need to run 10 or so miles up a river? what would you say the effective range of yours is with gas? how much gas do you take and how/what do you use to haul it? thanks for your input. shane

My Ranger with the 25hp jet will haul in the 850 lbs range. I have had 3 grown men, gear and a black bear in it with no trouble. It burns about 2.5 gals an hour and runs at about 15mph cruise. I have did trips of 50 to 60 miles on 6 gals of fuel. If you ran up river you could float back out. I have used the 10hp prop on it, but not enough to have any fuel use or load data. I plan on running it 60 miles or more this fall on the Koyukuk.

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Hey Casey,

Congrats on the tags. I saw a thread on this before with pics of a transom a guy built. I will try to find it for you.
    Jason,
    Congrats to you also! Sent you a PM.

Default Looking for a camp cook with boat and motor....please send pics of boat and motor!!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My Ranger with the 25hp jet will haul in the 850 lbs range. I have had 3 grown men, gear and a black bear in it with no trouble. It burns about 2.5 gals an hour and runs at about 15mph cruise. I have did trips of 50 to 60 miles on 6 gals of fuel. If you ran up river you could float back out. I have used the 10hp prop on it, but not enough to have any fuel use or load data. I plan on running it 60 miles or more this fall on the Koyukuk.

Steve,
    Just had an idea! Come along, bring the raft and motor. Also, we'll put you on KP duty so we can eat some of that chow I've seen so many pictures of and drooled over!
    Casey

Steve,
    Just had an idea! Come along, bring the raft and motor. Also, we'll put you on KP duty so we can eat some of that chow I've seen so many pictures of and drooled over!
    Casey
    That would be awesome, but I don't know if my lovely bride is going to let me play on Kodiak this fall.
    Founding Member

Jason,
    Congrats to you also! Sent you a PM.
    Thanks, tried to write you back but your box is full. I sent it to your email account.

Does anyone have a motor mounted to their Pro-Pioneer?