Thread: And to wonder how many times i have tried and given up..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default And to wonder how many times i have tried and given up..

Stuffing a sausage case is NOT an easy thing to do... at least not right off.. i have attempted many times over the years. and sent it out.. or ate BULK patty sausage.. 3 days work... and another grinder DOWN..

so... minus a tweeny tube for the Breakfast links and snack stix.. ( tubes on back order)... HERES THE LOTS.
    Itialian..

Garlic

Polish

brats in the back!!>. made with BEER of course

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Looks great! I am just starting to make the switch from bulk/patties to stuffed sausages myself. Now I need a good hot dog recipe.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

They really look nice..

Hope that wan't 3 days worth of bottles sitting there. They look great! I have 20lbs I still need to make into some mild brats for one of the kids. So do you stuff the whole casing then twisk them? I have always done it while stuffing the casing. Do you blow out a lot of casings? if not I imagine your way would produce brats more equal in length.

I see your mixer hopper in the back, have you tried using the grinder to stuff the casings?

Chris

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Chris i have tried the grinder route to many times... gotta feed it, at a constant rate with two hand while running the case with a third..

i found the stuffer really cuts down on inconsistancey.. and busted casing.. i have a constant flow get about 2 casing per jug full.. if i stop cranking it all stops.. where the grinder keeps spitting meat and or air.

i grind it all .. then mix it.. and grind it one last time right out of the hopper.. the first grind is each meat alone.. bou, fat, pork.. then wieghed intoportions.. miked ... add seasons...( add beer to brats HERE)! mixed.. then out of hopper into grinder.. for a full blending of flavors.. ( tha

I just bought the hopper, as i learned somthing on the food channel aobut making sausage.. and mixing it with a bit of water makes it sticky and smoothes it out.. and hte water does NOTHING to the taste. up until now i had been hand mixing in clean white plastic bags..

not saying a guy cant get buy with out all that stuff.. IT just is not for me. the hardest part is getting the caseing on the tubes.. sheesh what a pain... so i found that with the stuffer.. once i find the end of the case.. manage to get it open and some water in it to cause a bubble, that helps open and un twist it... as you slide it on...

THEN I CAN get the end of the case on the tube.. ONCE i have accomplished that... ( 10-15 min ritual everytime) i can give a partial crank on the stuffer and push a rounded bubble of meat out the end of the tube.. MAN!!!!!! does that case slide on quick then.. with out the edges of the tube to catch it... BUT i cant.. get it started with the meat in the way... not happening with the grinder..

hope thats understandable..

OFf to buy a new grinder in the morning. found one of the BIG LEM #32 on sale.. and have it on hold for me.. will do 720 lbs and hour.. ( shwweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!) since i killed 3 grinders this year.. my two were 3-4 years old and done a TON of meat.. and stid gave me an old one the other day to finish.. and it died a horrible death of heart attack and stroke.. from a high fat diet..

so now were going BIG.. no more of that one or two deer a year size grinder..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Hope that wan't 3 days worth of bottles sitting there. They look great! I have 20lbs I still need to make into some mild brats for one of the kids. So do you stuff the whole casing then twisk them? I have always done it while stuffing the casing. Do you blow out a lot of casings? if not I imagine your way would produce brats more equal in length.
    thats the beer in the brats.. all the recipeis asked for liqued of some sort.. the Garlic wanted white wine or Vermouth... 2.5 cups Vermouth went in!!!

yes i stuff the entire case... then lay it out on a wet table.. ( its wet messing with real casing anyway) roll it back and forth like play dough GENTLY!!!!!!!!!!! then ***** the air pockets.. i found.. the air pockets burst when twisting .. so ***** ( poke? with a sharp thing) them FIRST.. allow it to rest a few minutes while you load the next case.. and twist them... but !!! kids dont for get the kids..

this worked out perfect.. IF i did pop one in the twist.. I just cut it at the break and piched abit out.. and twisted the new end off.. this OFTEN gave me SHORT kids size brats and sausages.. they love them.

cant say Pr*ick the sausage i guessw... hmmm

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    Looks great! I am just starting to make the switch from bulk/patties to stuffed sausages myself. Now I need a good hot dog recipe.
    i just orderd the caseing for hot dogs.. them are next! i have several in my sausage books.. thing about them.. is

hot dogs for the consistency we expect out of them.. are nearly Purreaid.mashed? 3-4 times through the finest plate.. and that means no tendon or silver skin on the meat.. or you spend all your time un plugging the grinder.. i am hopeing the 1.5 HP will over look that stuff now.

meet on face book here

I actually downsized my grinder to 1 1/2 horse a few years back. Had a 5 horsepower, and was too fast for me (plus, was offered more than enough $$ for the new grinder). I haven't tried a big stuffer, have a small cast iron stuffer- but requires a hand on the pump handle, a hand on the casing, and a hand on the body of the stuffer.... big pain.

Chris

Also, do you smoke before you freeze? Or let the sausage set up first?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I actually downsized my grinder to 1 1/2 horse a few years back. Had a 5 horsepower, and was too fast for me (plus, was offered more than enough $$ for the new grinder). I haven't tried a big stuffer, have a small cast iron stuffer- but requires a hand on the pump handle, a hand on the casing, and a hand on the body of the stuffer.... big pain.

Chris
    i screwed mine to the table.. i really like the crank part..

as for smoking.. most mine i dont smoke... i did that with some summer sausages,, they turned out ok.. but i need to find a better outlet for FAT. not suet.. suet is hard and does not smoke well to impart the flavor.. and they come out of the smoker really dry. bit then I am a long ways from being good at smoking things .... i just am learning from mistakes as i go.. LOL

meet on face book here

I went with a foot pedal to control the speed of feed of the grinder now. Seems to work okay. But always willing to look at eastier ways.

Chris

rinse your natural casings out with water in the sink before you stuff them - they wil go on easier. Really should rinse them anyway.

oh man!!!!!!!!!! i can beleve we have eaten them all !!!!!!!!!!!

meet on face book here