Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk gun oils or other lubricants used as gun oil

Default Let's talk gun oils or other lubricants used as gun oil

I'd like to know what you use and why. There are so many gun oil products that there isn't enough space on one thread to list em all. Please don't bring WD-40 into the conversation, that sht doesn't belong on a firearm if yah ask me.

Some of the worst I've found so far was Rem oil in the aerosol can. I used to think it was decent, but it evaporates off, and doesn't protect the inner parts. It would leave white residue that would build up overtime. Not a good gun oil if yah ask me.

Lately I've been using the tetra fluoro-polymer oil but it smells bad. The tetra gun grease doesn't smell bad and I always use that on the rails of bolt guns and on other areas that see alot of heavy movement. The tetra oil is heavy, but does good in the cold weather too. In an emergency, I've used Sea Foam Deep Creep as a gun oil, and that too was good stuff, stayed thin in cold weather, and never evaporated off.

What do you use or don't use? Anything cheaper than gun oil that has worked good for you?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    What do you use or don't use? Anything cheaper than gun oil that has worked good for you?
    For lubrication I use Lubriplate Engine Assembly grease. ATF is a very good protectant in all of its flavors. I also use EEZOX, and I've found its very good in the field--not too mention I like the way it smells.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

What.... you're supposed to put oil on guns?

I use G-96 spray oil, seems to not let the metal rust and I have used down to -16 degrees. I have spent a lot of time in skiffs, so a lot of sea spray, just clean and oil each evening.

I recently picked up a can of EEZOX. Seems to be the best I have tried. Anybody want my old can of Rem oil? That stuff is junk.

10w-40 in the summer and 5w-20 in the winter. If it's going to be really cold, then either ATF or nothing. When hunting in really cold, like -20 or lower I usually don't use any oil. The one or two shots that I normally use aren't going to damage anything even with no oil and it's too cold to rust.

I've been using TETRA for close to 20 years now for outside and bore treatment as well - I was told long ago by a machinist that Tetra penetrates the surface of the steel and the only way to get it off/out was to grind it out - I warm the steel and work it in using a piece of wool (sock works good but NOT smart wool ! too expensive) rub it in good and wipe the residue off and you're done - I clean and treat my barrels with it at each cleaning too and I've got data to prove my method, it prevents rust, it lowers friction, it lowers chamber pressures allowing faster velocities and it prevents fouling to a great degree - With a new barrel I will clean to satisfaction, pour hot water through barrel then dry and then scrub Tetra into the bore using a new bronze brush, 20-30 strokes then dry bore with 2-3 dry patches - henceforth barrel cleanings are wet wipe-out patch soak 2 dry patches X 3 then retreat with Tetra same as original - Not counting wipe-out soak time It takes 15 - 20 minutes to clean the dirtiest barrel and I've been doing it that way since '95 (drive my "old school" shooting buddies NUTS) the newer stuff doesn't smell nearly so bad - be sure to shake well before using - It works great for my sewing machine too AND they make engine lube products too

I have been using Breakfree for years and have had no problems. I recently bought some M7 lube to try and so far no issues. It will take a summer of use and maybe a hunting trip before I can say it is great. When duck hunting in the rain we always poured mixed outboard fuel on our guns. The gas evaporates and leaves a nice oil film to protect the guns till you can clean them at home.

Been using Break-Free for years ever since being introduced to it in the Legions. Never had a reason to change. Hoppe's Bore Snake Venom looks interesting though. It has moly added to it in addition to teflon. Don't know how well it'd hold up against corrosion compared to Break-Free though. Break-Free out performs a lot of gun goo in that area.
    Now what ?

Ballistol and ATF fluid both work well. Breakfree is another good one.

I have posted this here before:

Cold Weather Firearms Lube Test using various weapons and left outside overnight.

Negative 10 to Negative 65 F.

Shooter Choice FP-10........... Works very well in ARs and bolt guns. Good to-50
    Terta Gun Lube Thicker........, works well on full auto weapons to minus 50, smells like a wet car trunk.
    Mil Issue Arctic Brake Fluid........... Worked well on M-2HB and M-240 at 56 below , eats other frozen lubes
    G-96 Gun treatment............. Comes as a spray, very light, bolts guns to 65, smells nice
    G-96 Gun Grease............ Synt Grease like aviation missile rail grease. good to -30
    Penn Synthetic Reel Oil P/N 92340........ Very thin Fluid, Extremely slippery good to -65 Not good for primers
    Marvel Mystery Oil Very fluid,........... Very slippery good to -40, eats lead from barrels, will get into primers
    Kerosene or arctic grade turbine fuel:.......Works well as light lube below 20 below zero. Smells and burns off.
    Aero-Shell Fluid #18, ..........Starts to turn thick after 20 below. Holds on metal surfaces when hot.
    3 in 1 Oil Fairly fluid,.......... somewhat slippery gums at -20
    LPS-2............................ Fairly Fluid, somewhat slippery gums at -20
    Klean-Bore Formula 3 .......................Some separation, fairly fluid, somewhat slippery
    Tri-Flow Separated, .....................does not adhere or film on metal
    Break-Free Mil Issue................Separated, somewhat tacky and semi syrup like
    Mil-Tech Thick,................... somewhat tacky, syrup like
    Outers Gun Oil ............................ Very thick syrup. Tacky
    Mil spec MIL4-46000c Lube Oil ..........................Separated, some was in thick jell state.
    Rem Oil................................. Thick jell, tacky
    Boe Shield T-9 T........................hick Jell, tacky, will dry to wax-like substance
    Corrosion X HD........................ Thick jell, tacky
    Ballistol ................................very thick jell. Separation into various layers. Will freeze solid
    Exxon Elite 20-50 Syn Av Oil ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Very Thick, glue like
    AeroShell 15-50 Semi Syn Av Oil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Very thick, glue like
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hey float, thanks to the others too.

Float,
    Which gun oil do you prefer to use? Do you use the same oil to protect the exterior surface of your guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have posted this here before:

Shooter Choice FP-10........... Works very well in ARs and bolt guns. Good to-50
    I normally bird hunt all winter long. After a pump 12g froze up on me I switched to FP-10 and I haven't had a problem since.

5-30 mobile one and pour it on
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Float,
    Which gun oil do you prefer to use? Do you use the same oil to protect the exterior surface of your guns?
    For smokeless guns:

For all around, lube and protection:....................................... ....................... ...Shooter Choice FP-10
    For rapid fire actions, hot guns, M-16 bolts, long term storage:...................... ...Tetra Gun Lube
    For auto pistols, tight bolt actions, firing pins, internal springs, auto shotguns:... G-96 Gun treatment
    Good for bolt rollers, under Mauser bolt bands, really long term storage..............G-96 Gun Grease
    Good for super tight pistols, or creeping into old screws:...................................''Penn Synthetic Reel Oil P/N 92340
    Good for eating old hard grease, or removing lead for old bores...........................Marvel Oil,

For Black Powder Cartridge Shooters:

Bake-Easy, baking spray
    Bore Butter
    Wonder Lube
    Jojoba oil.
    Ballistol Sportsman's
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

On the outside of my rifles and shotguns I use a good hardwood floor wax. Good for the stock too. Works for me.
    Goo

+1 for the wax, I use either Min-wax or JPW. They are very similar.

CLP will freeze at -35, LAW (lubricating, oil Arctic, Waepon) is preferred when temps bottom out. If LAW is not available use a dry graphite lubricant. As you can tell this only pertains to semi auto type weapons. NSN for LAW is 9150-00-292-9689

I use ATF for lube but I would like to try "Corrosion X for guns" for exterior protection in wet weather. Anyone know where to get it retail in Anchorage?

Here is what I use;
    Marine fogging oil on the exterior of most of my guns... works like a champ for tromping around the salt which is mostly what I do. I use Amsoil 0W30 for the slides on my shotguns and my AR's. I was using thier ATF, while not bad, the oil works better, more slippery.
    If I'm going to hunt in the extreeme cold, my firing pin channels in my bolt guns are usually dry, I 'll degrease with brake cleaner or I use a little synthetic EEZOX which is way different then the regular stuff! It drys with a thin film and never gums up, at least down to -20F which is the coldest I've shot down here on the coast.
    I don't use CLP anymore as I find it gums up or gets tacky if the gun is stored for a few months with it on... at least the Breakfree stuff does. The usual Rem and Hoppes oils just aren't cutting it up here. I've got some buddies who swear by Kroil, which I'm sure works pretty well and I'd be up for giving that a go in 10 years when my supply of Amsoil runs out.

Mountaintrekker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast