Thread: Taxidermist

Default Taxidermist

Booked a SW Alaska brown bear hunt for this fall. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good taxidermist for a life-size mount? I've looked into a couple that are $6000-$8000, plus shipping? I live in NH, thinking of maybe someone within 6-8 hr. drive from here so I could pick it up myself, unless anyone knows of someone more reasonable where shipping wouldn't be that bad. Thanks

If you haven't already done so, you may want to post this question on the http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php forum in the "wanted" section. There are a fair number of taxidermists in the NE that may have experience with such a mount. It's nice to see that you're asking this question before the hunt, and not after you have a bear down :-). Good luck on the hunt.

send me your email and I will get you some info. You need more posts so members can PM private message you.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

It amy be a little longer of a drive but the guy does great work! Hes done three mounts for me and a trophy room full for a few of my friends. Check out allamericantaxidermy.com. Theres more than one so add Steve Prichard to the search. I just looked at his sight and he charges $2,200 for a full mount so it might be worth your drive to MI.

$2200. for a Lifesize Brown bear ???

That sounds a litle fishy, Just sounds TOOOO cheap is all.

I do a LOT of em & we are $5000. & can ship to your door for $800. Guaranteed.

PM me if interested.

RJ Simington

My email is stemel@metrocast.net. Give it to anyone you think could help me out. Thanks Steven Crockett

Either that or your way over priced!! lol This guy is one of the best Ive seen!! I suggest you to google him and check out his work!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    $2200. for a Lifesize Brown bear ???

That sounds a litle fishy, Just sounds TOOOO cheap is all.

I do a LOT of em & we are $5000. & can ship to your door for $800. Guaranteed.

PM me if interested.

RJ Simington

I did just check out your work, you do very good work I must say. Must just be the econmoy in Michigan that drives his prices down???

Well look at it this way,

Form cost $ 1100. for a large bear Plus shipping.

Tanning for a Large Brown Bear around $ 400. Includes shipping both ways UNLESS you send it a long ways.

Eyes $12. pr

Glue Enough to do a large brown bear $ 50. Plus depends on which glue you use.

Clay for eyes, ears , ect. about $5.

Ear Linners or Bondo ears $ 6.00.

Habitat $ 50. PLUS any wood frame base.

Add that up & you can see that he is not makng anything for mounting it.

I am not saying anything about anyones work, & I havent looked at any of his. I just know exactly what it takes to mount the large bears.

Plus if you are a full time guy you have to pay your bills out of the rest .

My wife would shoot me & collect the insurance money if I worked that cheap.

Just saying.

RJ Simington

Quote Originally Posted by SLOPER1 View Post
    Either that or your way over priced!! lol This guy is one of the best Ive seen!!
    And have you seen a lot of full sized brown bear mounts...???

OOPS, almost for got the cost of putting the form back together, because it is cut into 4 pieces when it gets shipped.

So thats about $30. in foam.

PLUS alterations to make the pose you want.

Thats up to $65. in foam.

Plus your wages for the 4 day project of mounting, finishing, Base work & last but not least crating so it can be shipped.

Again , I AM NOT trying to insinuate anything, Just cheap that all.

RJ Simington

Holly Moly, I just checked the prices of Large Brown bear forms from my new Mckinsey catalogue, Better add anouther hundred or 2 to the price of forms.

OUCH.

Better start thinking about raising prices.

RJ Simington

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Holly Moly, I just checked the prices of Large Brown bear forms from my new Mckinsey catalogue, Better add anouther hundred or 2 to the price of forms.

OUCH.

Better start thinking about raising prices.

RJ Simington
    Yeah, and if you work out of a shop in town don't forget the cost of the gas it will take to get there.....!!!! These gas prices are getting ridiculous....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    And have you seen a lot of full sized brown bear mounts...???
    No I haven't seen a "lot" I guess. I've just seen the few that he's done for friends. I don't doubt that it really costs that much to do one, especially getting everything shipped to AK!!

One of the best pieces of advice that I've heard regarding taxidermy is that it is wise to choose a taxidermist who often deals with the animal that you're mounting. I've seen many, many examples of terrible taxidermy work done by out-of-state taxidermists who work with whitetails 98% of the time. Knowing the facial structure of bears is key to making them look life-like, as it is with sheep, goats, etc. There is a lot more to taxidermy than stretching a hide over a form, and going with a taxidermist who specializes in the species that you're bringing them goes a long ways towards ensuring a quality product. I don't blame you for trying to find a good deal, but generally speaking quality comes with a price.

Steve, Check out Gen Bahr in Maine. He's got a good studio and you can see his work in LL Bean. http://www.genebahr.com/
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    One of the best pieces of advice that I've heard regarding taxidermy is that it is wise to choose a taxidermist who often deals with the animal that you're mounting. I've seen many, many examples of terrible taxidermy work done by out-of-state taxidermists who work with whitetails 98% of the time. Knowing the facial structure of bears is key to making them look life-like, as it is with sheep, goats, etc. There is a lot more to taxidermy than stretching a hide over a form, and going with a taxidermist who specializes in the species that you're bringing them goes a long ways towards ensuring a quality product. I don't blame you for trying to find a good deal, but generally speaking quality comes with a price.
    Brian I have heard that exact same thing and I think that is the absolute best advice....
    Dave

Unfotunately, Most hunters do not know what to look for in a QUALITY mount.

They usually see a Large set of antlers or horns or even a large bear & it could be a Very poor mounting job but they cant decipher what they are seeing.

Being a Certified taxidermy judge I have seen some of the best taxidermy in the world & some of the worst.

Just because you live in Alaska doesnt mean you know how to acurately mount the species of this state, & we see this ALL THE TIME.

It does take knowledge in the species to recreate the actions & realistic features of an individual species, & there are a lot of taxidermists that just dont get it.

They never use reference material, because ( They Know what they look like).

Its the same all over the world.

I taught taxidermy in Africa in 2002 & 2004, we went & shot several species & compaired them to the mounts they had been doing, They were just amased that they hadnt seen what I pointed out was wrong on there mounts compaired to the real animal.

They had been around the animals their whole lives & thought they knew exactly what to do to recreate the animal , But there original teacher didnt know himself, so they didnt have correct guidance.

If you realy want to see quality in mounts check out some of the state, National, & World Competitions.

But remember , There are different entree levels, Usually Novice ( for beginners), Proffesional, & Masters.
    Just because someone gets a ribbon at one of these shows doesnt meen they WON the show over everone else.

As you walk through our shows you can Imediately see the differences in quality differences in the entree levels.

& yes there are some REALY bad things that are brought to the shows also, but if they use the critiques & guidance that we give them , hopefully next time they wont mak the same mistakes.

Then again, there are people that THINK theirs is the best in the show & are unwilling to listen to any advice, Because ( THEY KNOW WHAT THOSE ANIMALS LOOK LIKE. They have been around them for ever.)

RJ Simington

Very true!! I know quite a few taxidermists, some really good and some pretty bad... Even though they are my friends and could get a great deal on a mount I'd never take an animal to them. I go by my taxidermists quote.... " The bitterness of poor quality far outlasts the sweetness of a goo deal.. "

I wouldn't worry about shipping cost if it means quailty, And defently listen to Brian, pick spmeone well rounded in all game or speciallizes in Big Bears. Outdoor shows often have Taxidermist showing their work to give you a idea of what to look for in quailty.
    And if they offer a fast turn around, I would be cautious, most high end Taxidermist have over a year wait.