Thread: DS203 DCUA timing

Default DS203 DCUA timing

I drew the DS 203 Delta Controlled Use Area Sheep tag. I am a complete newbie to sheep hunting and my only mountain hunting experience has been for sub-alpine deer down here in SE. I know how magical opening day for deer can be and how unwary the deer are until the lead starts flying. I always prefer to be on top of a mountain before the other guy and ready to hunt the day before the opener.

Is opening day for sheep the same as for deer? It is imperitive to be at your hunting grounds a day or two before the opener to beat the other guy? I just don't have a feel for how crowded that DCUA is going to be. 75 potential hunters in the area seems like alot to me.

I ask this since the opener is on a Friday and it would require me to take three to four days off from work prior to the season opening then more until I can find a legal animal. If I would wait a few days I could take advantage of two weekends and use less leave time. Thanks for your help guys!

Are you flying in or walking? If you fly, that will influence timing. If you're walking it will take a full day or more to get to the sheep. Since you only have two weeks for this, the earlier you go, the more options you'll have. Not all of the 75 permits will hunt, but you'll certainly see other hunters.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.052422,-135.366032

A few other things to keep in mind is this is a large area and some of the hunters won't be in there on opening day. There are a few work arounds to the motorized restrictions. Check the regs. You can fly into a strip on the Johnson River or before the 5th. The area that I hunted (DS204) a few years ago, you could have flown in and then floated out on a raft at the end of the hunt.

I can give you a little more information if you're interested, just send me a PM.

Planning to walk in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Are you flying in or walking? If you fly, that will influence timing. If you're walking it will take a full day or more to get to the sheep. Since you only have two weeks for this, the earlier you go, the more options you'll have. Not all of the 75 permits will hunt, but you'll certainly see other hunters.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.052422,-135.366032

Quote Originally Posted by SE Alpine View Post
    Planning to walk in.
    If it was me, I'd go in on the 7th or so.

If it was me, and it is , I have the same tag, id go early too. Be in place and have the rams located on opening morning ready to take a dirt nap good luck in there buddy!

I drew that tag in 2010, I started walking in two days before the opener and took my ram on opening day. Took another two days to walk out and in that time we never saw another hunter. I was also concerned about other hunting pressure but once you get up into alpine you'll realize there is alot of area up there and plenty of sheep to chase.

CGS
    Good info thank you for sharing, your post kinda eases my concern a bit. I have a couple questions hopefully you wont mind sharing. I was wondering if you drew the early season or late season tag? Also did you walk in from the Alaska Hwy side or Richardson side? I know how sensitive folks can be about hunting locations and I respect that however and insight you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckup View Post
    CGS
    Good info thank you for sharing, your post kinda eases my concern a bit. I have a couple questions hopefully you wont mind sharing. I was wondering if you drew the early season or late season tag? Also did you walk in from the Alaska Hwy side or Richardson side? I know how sensitive folks can be about hunting locations and I respect that however and insight you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I drew the early season, and as far as access goes its no secret as far as the available options to get into the hunting areas. I chose to go the gerstle river route which is an as* kicker but gets you up to Alpine nonetheless. I did the same kind of research most of you guys are doing and in the end it's kind of a no-brainer once you get up there, just hike around and glass the different ridges and you'll see sheep. I did most of the trek in shoes as the terrain I was in was pretty nice and put my La Sportivas on the last 5 miles of the trek as things started getting alittle knarley. The one thing I didnt come across much and would like to fill you guys with the DS203 tag on is water. We didnt have an issue with water the entire trip and after I got my ram on the return trip we had planned on camping at a stream we crossed on the way in, which was about 10 miles from the vehicle. Once we reached the stream, with about an hour of daylight left, we discovered it was bone dry! A stream that was 12 inches deep less than a week before was sand so we pressed on another two miles with our tongues stuck to the roof's of our mouths before we finally filtered water from an ATV rut with an oil sheen coating the top of it. Needless to say it was the best water I ever tasted but in the future I will stop and get water every chance I get. Another tidbit is go overboard with getting in shape for this hunt. I workout as part of my job on a daily basis and I still wasnt fully prepared for the hike in with my leg muscles locking up after a long push to get into the sheep areas on the second day. Other than that dont forget to take the time to get some pictures, that always seems to be something most people dont pay enough emphasis on until they get home and then its too late. Good luck to you guys and you hunts, that tag is definitely a special one and a hunt you guys will never forget!!

CGS
    This is some great info and Im sure I can speak for others when I say we greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I drew the early season, and as far as access goes its no secret as far as the available options to get into the hunting areas. I chose to go the gerstle river route which is an as* kicker but gets you up to Alpine nonetheless. I did the same kind of research most of you guys are doing and in the end it's kind of a no-brainer once you get up there, just hike around and glass the different ridges and you'll see sheep. I did most of the trek in shoes as the terrain I was in was pretty nice and put my La Sportivas on the last 5 miles of the trek as things started getting alittle knarley. The one thing I didnt come across much and would like to fill you guys with the DS203 tag on is water. We didnt have an issue with water the entire trip and after I got my ram on the return trip we had planned on camping at a stream we crossed on the way in, which was about 10 miles from the vehicle. Once we reached the stream, with about an hour of daylight left, we discovered it was bone dry! A stream that was 12 inches deep less than a week before was sand so we pressed on another two miles with our tongues stuck to the roof's of our mouths before we finally filtered water from an ATV rut with an oil sheen coating the top of it. Needless to say it was the best water I ever tasted but in the future I will stop and get water every chance I get. Another tidbit is go overboard with getting in shape for this hunt. I workout as part of my job on a daily basis and I still wasnt fully prepared for the hike in with my leg muscles locking up after a long push to get into the sheep areas on the second day. Other than that dont forget to take the time to get some pictures, that always seems to be something most people dont pay enough emphasis on until they get home and then its too late. Good luck to you guys and you hunts, that tag is definitely a special one and a hunt you guys will never forget!!

YOU NOT IN SHAPE???????...... now they're all gonna fly in !!!!!.........................

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    YOU NOT IN SHAPE???????...... now they're all gonna fly in !!!!!.........................
    Yeah, maybe I should have left that part out!!

This is good information to have, I drew the tag this year and I cannot wait! It will be my first year hunting in AK. I keep doing lots of research to see where people have gone in, I am willing to put in the miles for a nice looking sheep.