Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Butcher this!

Default Help Butcher this!

The other thread about packing got me to thinking - dangerous thing. This picture is of by far the worst butchering situation I have ever been involved with and I have done more than my share, you always remember the bad ones. I know how we handled it then and I definitely know what I would do in the future.

So how would you handle the following oh s*** moment. You pull the trigger and for whatever reason you find the moose laying in the mud. Roughly 30 feet to the boat, each step you find yourself sinking farther in the mud. The more you move around the moose the wetter and deeper it gets. Just walking across the area is a challenge - I know most of you have been in that crap. Curious for ideas and options based on the tools you normally carry with you and the number of people you usually have in your hunting party. Obviously meat care is the biggest concern.

We typically carry a rope comealong for just these kind of cases. Hopefully there is a tree or other form of anchor within reach of the rope. If not, a tarp would probably help to keep you from sinking into the mud while working and be a surface to lay things on without losing them. Boat bailer will help to rinse mud off meat if/when it gets on there as you go....

Wait, is that a head/neck shot I am seeing? Heck, the guy who pulled the trigger while it was standing 30 feet from the river back in the mud gets to take care of it, i'm going back to camp!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Wait, is that a head/neck shot I am seeing? Heck, the guy who pulled the trigger while it was standing 30 feet from the river back in the mud gets to take care of it, i'm going back to camp!
    That story would be another thread all on it's own!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yeah.. thats one of them moments alright.. ground looks good from 50 yards... kinda like that discount paint job on the car. sure woulda been nice to let it wander up the hill a bit further.

start cutting leave the hair on til you get it clean, tarpsto lay things on. if i have spruce trees around.. ill be cutting bows to stand/kneel on, as that tarp will sink and move under foot.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Throw a rope around its neck, tie it to the boat. One guy running the boat everyone else helps drag the moose. It should slide good in that mud unless a horn digs in. Get it in the water and drag it to somwhere more ideal. Don't let anyone else know moose float.

It was a nice shot though, I mean it could have ran into that brush right behind it and been gone forever, it looks thick

It sure looks like a good reason to bring "Plenty" of xtra ropes!
    I am with Vince, grab the chain saw or hand saw and get some planking to stand on, or use to perhaps slide this mudball over, and get all the horses available to start pulling! Get it to clean water and wash it off good and to a decent spot. I have packed 2 overland and one more was dropped in a lake - the one in the water was very easy to deal with I thought vs the other 2... I am with mallardman! Shhhh

JR moose.jpgJR RM GW Moose.jpgBTW, this was a 60 incher but after leaving it in the lake overnite it shrunk some
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well since we have the " why the hell did you shoot it there" out of the way . I carry a rope-a-long and 200' of rope + 300' of anchor line if needed , that is a heck of a reach. The boat or anchor will serve to pull against if a tree is not available. Spruce,alder or willow boughs to walk on, if water conditions are favorable that moose is going for a swim and a bath (they do float nicely) then a beaching on a firm, hopefully mudless bank.

Oh, moose hunting party normaly is 2 or 4 people.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Throw a rope around its neck, tie it to the boat. One guy running the boat everyone else helps drag the moose. It should slide good in that mud unless a horn digs in. Get it in the water and drag it to somwhere more ideal. Don't let anyone else know moose float.

You, my friend, are an OPTIMIST!!!!!

I'd be pulling whatever tarps, plywood, spruce poles, heck peeling carpet out of the boat if that would help!! Make a place to work from and get busy.....(and miserable) lol.

I have never carried a ropealong, but if I was hunting out of the boat I probably would I suppose!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Roughly 30 feet to the boat, each step you find yourself sinking farther in the mud. The more you move around the moose the wetter and deeper it gets. Just walking across the area is a challenge - I know most of you have been in that crap. Curious for ideas and options based on the tools you normally carry with you and the number of people you usually have in your hunting party. Obviously meat care is the biggest concern.

That one looks worse than it probably was. Looks like that one could be done solo if one had the right equipment. But how many solo hunters would plan to take a rope come along. Or rope with larger diameter rope than paracord? The solo hunter would probably drop the guts and more of less get started where it lies. And after butchering, one gets to look forward to the 6-12 trips of loaded packs.

With an ATV with tracks, we drug one out of swampy ground and through the mud last year to get it to better ground. The muddy body didn't really affect butchering. Just change the gloves after touching the hide and before handling the meat. We carry a rope come-a-long that can aid in getting the ATV unstuck, so I assume it would work for a moose (just slower). With an anchor, might be able to involve the boat. Perhaps run a couple of pulleys to gain some mechanical advantage but the dragging process would take longer.

Start a cut up the back bone. Harvest the upper backstrap first and the upper quarters. Roll the moose to the other side and do the other side similarly.

Then drop the guts. move the ribs away from the gut pile and harvest the tenderloins, heart and liver.

Having the right equipment is key. For this circumstance, a come-a-long, rope, and anchor/collapsible shovel. The next moose, a chainsaw might be indispensable. Hip waders. And then the rain starts (but no trees around to make a canopy). It's not long before one is solo hunting with a truck load of gear. Or one finds themselves spending their precious time manufacturing tools (braiding ropes, lopping off the rack to make an earth anchor) to aid in the process.

i would leave the hide on and disarticulate the quarters wrap them individually with a small tarp tie a line to them and pull from boat. split the breast bone separate the ribs off the spine and lay them together and stack the good bits in the cradle. neck and head should pull on tarp well enough. hide on.

^^^That sounds like a dam good plan...

I ran into an oh crap situation with a moose and water and decided to always have an electric winch in the boat for just such an emergency. I also have a rope winch and 100 ft of rope. You can get way more force out of an electric winch. With a good anchor (tree or boat) you can pull a whole bunch, especially with a mechanical advantage. I can use both of them and pull the moose in two with a good anchor. The dry box for the winch has a big snatch block pulley and several lengths of webbing for anchors. I use one of my boat batteries for the winch. With the moose so close to the boat, I would be very tempted to drag it into the water and float it around some. Also like the idea of making something to stand in the mud with.

My buddy shot a moose and it ran into a pond next to the river. Only one back hoof was showing. He dragged it most of the way back to the river by using his big inboard jet boat. Took about 30 minutes. Not possible with a little lund or the like.

Nice shot by the way.

call fish and game and tell them you shot a moose that was 49 inches, and you can't rocker it cause you cut an artery when punching your tag and had to get medical attention immediately......with this new "get out of jail free card" for first time hunting violators, you'd be good to go.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    call fish and game and tell them you shot a moose that was 49 inches, and you can't rocker it cause you cut an artery when punching your tag and had to get medical attention immediately......with this new "get out of jail free card" for first time hunting violators, you'd be good to go.
    HAHA not funny.. and no you wont.. you take an illegal animal.. you are bound by law to harves the meat .. or face wanton waste... fines
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    HAHA not funny.. and no you wont.. you take an illegal animal.. you are bound by law to harves the meat .. or face wanton waste... fines
    Aw cmon vince, you've been stuck in your cubical to long. I feel at times my sad attempt at humor has yet to reach its full potential.....I shall shut up now.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Aw cmon vince, you've been stuck in your cubical to long. I feel at times my sad attempt at humor has yet to reach its full potential.....I shall shut up now.
    getting into the Cubcal mean I GOT OUT OF THS HOUSE!

i said > HAHA.. first. didnt i?

meet on face book here

I will readily admit that I have sat there and NOT taken that shot just because of where the moose was standing. There's always tomorrow (when he was shot a couple hundred yards away on firm ground). Sometimes you don't get that option, but you do get to choose the location of your hunt. If you hunt a mud bog; be ready to deal with one.

Rope is your friend.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    getting into the Cubcal mean I GOT OUT OF THS HOUSE!

i said > HAHA.. first. didnt i?
    you had me scared, I thought you had lost your since of humor there for a second, I love the internet, cause I can joke with folks I have never met in my life, and it doesn't really matter what I say cause i'm never gonna meet um anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    That one looks worse than it probably was.
    Actually it was a lot worse than it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I have never carried a ropealong, but if I was hunting out of the boat I probably would I suppose!!!
    I always carry mine in either my ATV or canoe. Got it at AIH. Make sure to buy your rope there too; I got 5,000 pound rated non-stretching rope. I'd hate to use my ropealong on stretchy rope; that could be a dangerous deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast