Thread: do ducks winter here

Default do ducks winter here

Do ducks winter around Anchorage. If not would they return this early. The reason I ask is I saw 2 fly over my house last night. I was wondering if they were locals or is spring really coming?

Yea I would say they winter in Anchorage.
    We have a good amount of ducks that winter in the interior

Yeah, there are little spots of open water on creeks all over town. The elderly couple next door puts out corn and there have been flocks of them circling, waiting for some to leave so they can land in the small yard.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Mark

Quite a few winter in Wasilla at the outlet of Wasilla Lake. There's always open water there, it's right next to the PH Hwy, and lot's of folks stop and feed them there.

I'd say 50 to a hundred ducks can be seen hanging out there during the winter.

if there is open water there are probably ducks wintering there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Overwintering ducks in Anchorage

Yeah, there's usually a lot of mallards below the Ship Creek dam during winter. I've seen a few widgeon there too, and some sprig. There's open water out near the zoo as well, and birds are often found out that way.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I was snowmachining about 50 miles inland last week West of Dillingham when about 30 Mallards exploded out of a warm pocket on a river we were hunting along....I nearly crapped myself. Hardly what I expected, at least in those numbers. We have golden eyes, Mallards and Mergansers all over the place in small groups out here. Most open leads and spring creeks have a few. Why they don't go south I have NO idea. If I had wings, I sure as hekc would.

We've got good numbers of mallards, pintails, and gadwalls here in Cordova and more seem to be showing up every week. I even saw my first pair of dusky geese last week!

There's a nice bunch of ol homeguard mallards on the Chena here in Fairbanks all winter below the powerplant. The powerplant dumps warm water and keeps a good stretch of river open all winter. Even at 30-40 below.

There are a group of about 20 duck along the chester creek here in Anchorage by UAA that are here all winter long