Thread: Which river in 16B?

Default Which river in 16B?

I think I've narrowed it down to 16B for a moose float hunt this fall. Now I just need to figure out which river/creek. Does anyone have a reccomendation? This will be my first (maybe second) float hunt and I don't have any rafting expierience.
    Thanks, Mike

Neither waste of money too many people. Go father north.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The Skwentna and the Hayes are both easy floats, but 16b is a hard hunt at best. I don't care what the BOG and ADFG say 16b moose population is in the dumper.
    Chuck

Dont waste your time there.

No rafting experience? Forget about the Hayes and Skwentna. Besides, both moose up there will be out of the country by then due to salmon runs. Try Alexander lake for a day or two and float down Alexander creek slowly for the last 10-days of the season. Take climbing tree stands and use them with some calling and brush scraping. There are bears (not excessively - few salmon), pike, ducks and grouse there too. When flying-in get the pilot to slow fly the river so you can see the creek and mark on your map or GPS the good swamps away from any cabins. That will be worth the extra 1/4 hour of flight time paid for.

I have a cabin in that area and although getting better slowly. There are just not very many moose around and pretty hard hunting. Probably not the best choice out there. Maybe in a few years if we get to keep thining out the bears.

Dont forget 16A..lot of small creeks in this area that still hold a few nice bulls around them. Kroto, Moose both dump into the Deshka..good long floats on slow water. Heavy vegetation..but if you take your time and climb trees, call the flats, or look for a few of the smaller elevation points for glassing and calling ..might work. I would prefer Moose over Kroto..little bigger and easier with less boulder gardens.

Just a thought
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I mite add now if you want a black bear. It would be a great choice
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Thanks for the advice. I'll steer clear of 16B for this year. I'm somewhat restricted to certain areas because of when my hunting partner can get off of work and we might have a non resident hunter as well so that also limits areas. GMU24 A&B look like they would be good areas that meet most if not all of our requirements and the moose management report says this area has a high moose population. It also says that there is a lot of hunting pressure, especially on the Koyukuk river. I'm guessing since it's reachable by road. With that being said, what river/creek in one of these areas would be good for me that doesn't get too many hunters? I'm wanting to fly in to a fairly remote river. I'm also a bow hunter so I can hunt the Dalton HWY corridoor if the river flows through it but I'd prefer to use a gun since this will be my first float hunt and I'm not looking for an added challenge just yet.
    Thanks, Mike

OK so it looks like I'll be going to 16 A or B. I know the moose population isn't that great but the bear population being high is a good trade off. Where can I find information on the rivers in this area? Moose creek is a possibility but since it's accessible by road I'm concerned that it will be a little crowded.

in the winter of 89/90 a lot of moose winter killed in area 16B, My memory is a little thin here, but I think they originally came out with a 5 day season for the fall of 90, and then cancelled it with an Emergency Order after about 2 or 3 days... That hard winter with build up in Bear populations has made it difficult for the Moose to completely recover. There has been a few seasons since then with a lot less snowfall than this year, that there was NO moose season for 16B. Then you have to factor in the increased hunting pressure that has developed over the years. The moose are taking it very hard in 16B this winter So there is a very good possibility that there won't be much of a moose season if at all in 16B for the fall of 2012..

Just got back from my cabin up that way and spent a few weeks riding around saw a number of winter kill moose and not much for tracks around. Would not suprise me if they did cancel the moose hunt in that area for this coming year. Just keep your options open.

Moose creek will not be crowded. I spend alot of time on my property in the fall that is on this creek. I very seldom see anyone floating it for game. Most are fishing it for trout and grayling.

If you put in on petersville road it is about a 10 hour float if you stop occasionally and fish to the bridge on Oilwell road. nice float..from there it is about 40 miles down the mouth of the deshka..that is on you on how long it can take.

Mike has this route and Kroto covered in his book "Floating Alaska Rivers" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by baer19d View Post
    OK so it looks like I'll be going to 16 A or B. I know the moose population isn't that great but the bear population being high is a good trade off. Where can I find information on the rivers in this area? Moose creek is a possibility but since it's accessible by road I'm concerned that it will be a little crowded.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Ditto to what most people said here. Our cabin is in 16B, and, in the seven years I've been going there (probably once per month in spring through falls and at least twice each winter) I"ve never even seen a legal moose. Black bears are no closed season though and 3 per year. What does that say?

Last year three of us were riding back in there on 4wheelers and came up on three bulls and one cow. One bull was around 40, one around 50 and the other one was over 70..largest bull I have ever seen...4 days after the season closed and only 50 yards from us...crazy..but an awesome site to see one so large back in there. That is no indicator for sure..but nice to know some genetics are around.