Thread: Robot and Ken interact with Anchorage suburban wildlife……..

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Default Robot and Ken interact with Anchorage suburban wildlife……..

Oh Robot!......what are you going to do with Ken now???........

What the….???.....

….what did you do with Ken.?

Guess Robot thought Ken was having too much fun!

is this the new terminator movie?

Nah, I think it's a photo shoot application for the Darwin award....

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

The moose, that our boys have named Amber, hangs out in our neighborhood. We think that someone started feeding her, (which is illegal), when she was young. When she comes around she stands outside our house batting those big brown eyes wanting food. We have accidentally feed her once when our boys put out their jack-o-lanterns one Halloween so that maybe why she comes to our house. We will talk to her, pet her head and give her some scratches and she goes on her way.

We have a deck that is quite tall with a railing that keeps some distance between us. She has never been aggressive but we still don’t trust her completely. The only time that she made me nervous was once I was doing some yard work and she kind of sneaked up on me and nudged me in the back with her forehead as to say, “Here I am, pet me”. I retreated to our deck and she followed. Once on the deck I scratched her nose, chin, and behind her ears and she moved on.

In our neighborhood the snow is deep and there are high berms along the roads so that the moose are using the roads to get around. The morning that we took these photos several of the neighborhood kids were waiting for the school bus that stops about 100 feet from our house. We kept her entertained so she would not walk down the road to the bus stop where the kids were until they got on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Nah, I think it's a photo shoot application for the Darwin award....
    I guess we could have just let her go down the road and maybe have to shoot her if she tried to hurt one of the kids at the bus stop.

wow, thats one of those amazing and kind of scarry things.

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    I guess we could have just let her go down the road and maybe have to shoot her if she tried to hurt one of the kids at the bus stop.
    '
    LOL, instead you put inanimate objects on her back and stand directly behind the business end of a pair of sharp hooves!!

Im sure you knew what you were doing, the photos just made it look...well, not very thought out ...

Must be working on your willowbilly merit badge!!..lol, no worries, I already have one one of those cards...

Yeah, lets encourage that moose to feel comfortable to walk right up to humans. Fine when it is those who know what is going on (usually), but will almost certainly result in someone getting hurt eventually. You understand when it nudges you, but what about when it nudges that 7 year old kid down the street and he screams, startling the moose? Sorry to be a downer, but this just is NOT a good idea in my opinion.

Default Willowbillie Card..

'
    LOL, instead you put inanimate objects on her back and stand directly behind the business end of a pair of sharp hooves!!

Im sure you knew what you were doing, the photos just made it look...well, not very thought out ...

Must be working on your willowbilly merit badge!!..lol, no worries, I already have one one of those cards...

Wasn’t really behind her more off to the side, (camera angle). The real danger here was if something had happened to Robot I would have had to face my boys!

Working on my Willowbillie card: Stand behind moose – Done! What’s next?

To hopefully alleviate some of the concerns that some have expressed here about our safety.

All the folks and kids in our neighborhood are totally aware of how dangerous moose can be we have dozens of them that are “local moose” meaning that they hang out in the neighborhood some of them have been here for years. This moose, Amber, has been hanging around here for at least six years. She appears to be older and barren, (we have never seen her with a calf). It is obvious that she was feed by humans when she was young due to the fact that she comes around expecting food. As far as I know no one feeds her on purpose, at least not on our street. She has gotten into Halloween pumpkins and I think that is why she comes to our yard. We did not start this but we have learned to live with it.

As far as I know no one in our neighborhood are the ones that “tamed” her. I think she arrived here from somewhere else.

All the kids, and adults, here know to watch out for moose, we all watch out for each other. There have been many mornings that we, or our neighbors, have had to keep her occupied while the kids walk to the bus stop and wait for the bus.

I would bet that the kids, and adults, in our neighborhood are much more aware of wildlife safety than most because we live with this moose. Also she is not the only “tame” moose that we have had come around. There was a small bull that has come up to us when we were on our deck, (looking to be fed I would guess), and another female about 12 years ago that would come up to people.

Our options are to teach the neighborhood how to be safe around our local moose or just kill them if they come around. We have chosen to learn how to live with them and teach our kids what to do when confronted with wildlife.

When we took the photos I yelled to my bro-in law, “hold my beer and watch this”…..what could possibly have gone wrong??? (Guess I won’t be posting the photos of me riding her down our driveway past the school bus……..hey, all the kids on the bus thought it was cool……

Now if I could just get her to go in our garage and let us close the door without her running off……can you say……....... MOOSE BURGERS!

dkwarthog,
    Sorry I got a little sassy, I had already received two PMs questioning my “heritage”.
    With that and the way people are sometimes “attacked” on this forum I overacted. Please don’t tell the Willowbillie Merit Badge committee that I got my panties in a bunch!

I hope your sitting down.

Next step is actually milking a cow moose. Best way I have found is to put on a calf suit and practice mewwwing.

I still have the hoove dents in my forehead, lol.

Seriously, though i know a guy who drank moose milk one time. I asked him how it was and he said it tasted "moosy"..LOL...go figure!!

No problems or hard feelings I hope, I'm just ribbin' ya...

Hard to tell female from male this time of year..........the female moose has the one teat right???

Hard to tell female from male this time of year..........the female moose has the one teat right???
    Just like a party night in Dutch Harbor....Check for the adams apple.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Now if I could just get her to go in our garage and let us close the door without her running off……can you say……....... MOOSE BURGERS!
    This reminds me..

A good friend of mine was having a really tough winter down on the peninsula about a dozen years ago. Having a friendly moose in the neighborhood gave him a great idea. Feed the moose a little closer to the garage everyday. Pretty soon it was eating in the garage. He got a buddy to help him put the kibosh on said moose. They made a plan...then got ready.

The plan called for shooting the moose while the garage door was open, (fewer bullet holes in the wall that way) then closing it after the smoke cleared. His excited buddy pulled the door down before the shot. All heil broke loose. The moose freaked out and proceeded to chase the both of them around the shop. As one of them passed the back door he yanked it open. It took the moose a couple more laps chasing them before he figured the door meant freedom from these beasts.

No moose steak, a very destroyed garage and 2 sheepish "Alaskans". The worst part was that the 2 wives saw the entire thing from the kitchen and to this day never let a chance slip by to remind him of the "easy meat".

So remember, don't close the door early.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

LOL!!! Yea, but sometimes you have to rub around the general area a little before it becomes apparent!!

Actually, to be serious, the ANC folks probably are used to the urban moose hangingclose by to homes and vice versa. Up here in the Susitna valley the moose are SERIOUSLY stressed out and any amount of close human interaction brings the hackles up and ears back. It is surely a bad winter to be a moose in this here locality.

Default Willowbillie card.

In the continuing quest to get my Willowbillie card I was advised by dkwarthog that I needed to get my moose milking merit badge……..

Must be working on your willowbilly merit badge!!
    I hope your sitting down. Next step is actually milking a cow moose. Best way I have found is to put on a calf suit and practice mewwwing.
    LOL!!! Yea, but sometimes you have to rub around the general area a little before it becomes apparent!!

Well Amber, the “friendly” neighborhood moose, came back a few days ago so I thought that this would be a good time to get that moose milking merit badge.

Amber seemed calm and friendly enough so I did like dkwarthog said and started rubbing around where her teat should be at first she got a little nervous but when I found her teat, (didn’t realize they became that big), and started milking it she seemed to like it. After I got some milk from the teat, (it sure took awhile and there wasn’t as much as I thought there would be), anyway she seemed to really relax and then she kinda shook her head like she woke up from a trance…….well……

...........................that’s when all h**l broke out……