Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ram Shoulder Mount

Default 2011 Ram Shoulder Mount

Just got the ram back from the taxidermist. Arctic Fox Taxidermy in Wasilla did a phenomenal job. Can't wait till August to chase sheep, goat, and caribou. Enjoy

Mr. G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

That's great turnaround time if that was a 2011 sheep. Very jealous, one of these days I'll actually connect on a sheep. Looks like he might have been a later season sheep, little longer hair?

Congrats!! That's a great looking ram.
    do you have any field pictures to compare?

Congrats on the sheep! Is it just me or does the neck look somewhat odd from this angle? Lumpy or strangely shaped? Forgive me I don't mean to nit-pik your trophy. I'm quite envious as I've yet to accomplish what you have.

I don't particularly care for the taxidermy work although it's better than some posted here recently.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.052558,-135.366209

Hoping the picture is just bad. If not, I'm not impressed, but just my opinion. As long as you like it that is all that matters.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your fine ram. It's a shame that so many people are judgmental about other people's mounts.

That is a sweet looking sheep! I really like whe the tips are in great shape like that and flare out.

Congrats!! Could you post the story and trophy pics again here if you haven't already?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGunner View Post
    That is a sweet looking sheep! I really like whe the tips are in great shape like that and flare out.

Congrats!! Could you post the story and trophy pics again here if you haven't already?

Link to the story.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...unt?highlight=
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Could you take a better picture of the mount with better lighting from various angles ???......... Don't want to be judgemental, but something doesn't look right...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your fine ram. It's a shame that so many people are judgmental about other people's mounts.
    Guys aren't trying to be a-holes, they relish everyone's success here and just want them to get everything they should in a mount.

Kotton, another member here who posted a ram, had no idea how bad his mount looked until many here chimed in and told him. It's nothing personal, it's just that sometimes guys pick up a mount and are so excited with their trophy that they don't really see it for what it is.

That said, I also think the mount looks a bit odd. I hope it's just the picture, Mr.G likely laid it all on the line to take that great ram.
    Proud to be an American!

Looks good to me. I think it might be lighting more than anything. Is the ram full curl? I'm going sheep hunting myself this year and am judging/guessing off pictures and the such.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Thanks for finding the write up Stid.

Congrats on the great hunt Mr. G! Tasty lookin' recipe you've go there.

It must be pretty exciting to get your Ram back. All that hard work then it's a waiting game.
    I'm waiting right now as I'm about to ship my horns out to the taxi.

Congrats on the hunt! Very nice looking ram! I really like how it's flared out.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I kind of agree with several of the posts here in that something just doesn't look quite right. I would definitely like to see a couple more pics from different angles with different/more lighting. Congrats on a successful hunt.

My apologies about my comment with the mount. Congrats on your ram, but there have been too many people posting pictures of their sheep mounts that just aren't very good. As a recipient of a crappy mount, I just cringe when I see something that just isn't good, especially on a sheep. I am hoping that the light and angles of the picture is the problem. Again, congrats on your ram! Now with that said, I need to get mine out of the freezer and off to the taxidermist in the next few weeks!

The ram picture was taking looking straight at him. His head was mounted facing left. Here is another picture. The ram was 7/8 curl and we watched him for the better part of the day before I took the shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

That dude has got some amazing flare!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I kind of agree with several of the posts here in that something just doesn't look quite right. I would definitely like to see a couple more pics from different angles with different/more lighting. Congrats on a successful hunt.
    Really sorry to the op, but I have to agree as well. But I was good friends with what I would call a very good taxidermist who won a few first place awards with his work. I got to see a lot of his mounts and he did a couple of my own. I'm sure we're not trying to be judgmental, only pointing this out for "next time around". Simply put, there are a lot of experiences eyes on this forum, and if it was a REAL good mount nobody would be saying differently. IMO.....for what it's worth.

Congrats...!!!

First of all congrats on a nice ram. I agree that at least the pictures look a little strange. I'd hold off any judgement as I haven't seen in person.

Another question tho, what is it about sheep taxidermy and how different mounts can look? I've seen cross eye bears that look like they are grinning, and moose with such snub noses it looks like they ran into a bus, but I've never seen an animal that can be portrayed in such many different ways than sheep.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast