Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customer service

Default Customer service

Recently had some examples of both (A) excellent, and (B) absolutely horrific (seriously), customer service when in a few gun shops in Anchorage.

Was looking to make a retail purchase of a new rifle, considering a few minor upgrades, and left (B) in utter disgust. Unfortunate for everyone involved...

What has your experience been? Using initials of the business or the initials of the person you had the experience with is probably legal to post

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    Recently had some examples of both (A) excellent, and (B) absolutely horrific (seriously), customer service when in a few gun shops in Anchorage.

Was looking to make a retail purchase of a new rifle, considering a few minor upgrades, and left (B) in utter disgust. Unfortunate for everyone involved...

What has your experience been? Using initials of the business or the initials of the person you had the experience with is probably legal to post
    I find them all to be 'hit and miss'. Sometimes the staff at various shops are courteous and helpful, sometimes they don't give you the time of day. I think you have to be a 'regular' to get decent customer service. just my .02

I have had good experiences at BD, NS, AT, and MVS. I have walked out of a couple other shops because of the attitude. I don't like to shop at the big stores so I have no experience with them.

I have found "customer service" in ALL venues to be abysmal at best and it dumbfounds me ! In these tough economic times it defies logic (mine anyway) why everyone would not be bending over backward to attain just the opposite ...

BD and GNG have always treated me well.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I have found "customer service" in ALL venues to be abysmal at best and it dumbfounds me ! In these tough economic times it defies logic (mine anyway) why everyone would not be bending over backward to attain just the opposite ...

Agree that customer service is spotty in many locations - not sure why with the economy being what it is ? Here is my take on it.

Regarding the idea of getting better service if you are a regular, perhaps that is if you are a regular buyer ?
    Regular customers that bombard the service staff with questions and rarely buy anything are viewed/treated differently than customers that buy on a routine basis, in my observance in the various gun shops in south central Alaska.

Easy going customers are certainly addressed in a more friendly manner than gruff, grouchy know-it-all jerks.
    Hang out at any shop counter on a Saturday (when they are busy) and you will see that some customers can be extremely rude - is this the way they act to get prompt, courteous attention from a sales person ?

I treat the sales staff in a courteous manner and usually get the same in return; treat them like crap and you are freaking invisible during your next visit. And you probable deserve it. If I do not receive courteous treatment, I can certainly take my business and my money elsewhere.

As far as "bending over backwards", everyone has a limit to the amount of "disrespect" that they will take in their chosen career and once they get pushed past that point, again, you (mr. customer) are invisible and not likely to be "bent over backwards" for.

There are several shops in Anchorage that I will not spend my money in; this is because of the way I was treated, not due to a "poor selection" of product or "bad pricing".

As a consumer in these tough times, I will choose where my money goes.

Just my .02

Have always had good service at Boon Docks in Eagle River. Very laid back place and they will pretty much order anything I ask for. GNG's has treated me very well even though I can not remember the last time I purchased a weapon from them.

It must be a difficult time for small stores. Many tire kickers who only want to come in to see a particular rifle, pistol, etc. Then if they like it they have there buddy with the FFL order it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbikeguy View Post
    Agree that customer service is spotty in many locations - not sure why with the economy being what it is ? Here is my take on it.

Regarding the idea of getting better service if you are a regular, perhaps that is if you are a regular buyer ?
    Regular customers that bombard the service staff with questions and rarely buy anything are viewed/treated differently than customers that buy on a routine basis, in my observance in the various gun shops in south central Alaska.

Easy going customers are certainly addressed in a more friendly manner than gruff, grouchy know-it-all jerks.
    Hang out at any shop counter on a Saturday (when they are busy) and you will see that some customers can be extremely rude - is this the way they act to get prompt, courteous attention from a sales person ?

I treat the sales staff in a courteous manner and usually get the same in return; treat them like crap and you are freaking invisible during your next visit. And you probable deserve it. If I do not receive courteous treatment, I can certainly take my business and my money elsewhere.

As far as "bending over backwards", everyone has a limit to the amount of "disrespect" that they will take in their chosen career and once they get pushed past that point, again, you (mr. customer) are invisible and not likely to be "bent over backwards" for.

There are several shops in Anchorage that I will not spend my money in; this is because of the way I was treated, not due to a "poor selection" of product or "bad pricing".

As a consumer in these tough times, I will choose where my money goes.

Just my .02
    Well put mbg. My adverse experience had nothing to do with my being a rude, regular, time wasting customer - I was anything BUT these things. This was my first time into the particular shop, had heard good things, was amped up to go check them out and had cash in hand to pick something up AND have them do some quick/minor customizing (swap out the sight), etc - went in and ran into a tornado of bad attitude. I was completely blown away by this guy's treatment - rude, raised voice, "full" vocabulary, working hard to steer me towards one of their fully loaded custom jobs which wasn't even close to what I had in mind (and seriously over priced for what it was), etc. It was completely unwarranted - I was pretty much speechless. It culminated in "If you're not going to buy it then get the F out and quit wasting my time!". I had been there all of 10 minutes and the shop was empty other than me.

I'll probably never step foot in there again, and will ensure EVERYONE I know is told this story so they can take their money elsewhere. Real shame.

I always get good service from everyone at Boon Docks. J.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    BD and GNG have always treated me well.

Same goes for me, those two get the great majority of my business, BD in particular as it is close to home.

I understand why...but I sure wish they'd do c.c. sales.

That's the two I like best for guns, BD and GNG great inventories to fondle. I too wish BD took plastic, Id even pay 3% or something, yea I know there is an ATM there but ever try to get $1300 from an ATM!

Artic Ammo is coming right along too, not much on the gun rack yet but in time they will get there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

"It must be a difficult time for small stores. Many tire kickers who only want to come in to see a particular rifle, pistol, etc. Then if they like it they have there buddy with the FFL order it."

True statement there!

I think the tire kickers would test anyones patience, but it has got to be expected here in Alaska. For the most part prices are so unrealistic that I would venture to guess this is the way most gun purchases go. I can tell you most of the serious shooters I know go the "buddy with FFL" route if possible, or drive the gun shops crazy with FFL transactions from internet sales.

Still, they need to know their business, and should at least be courtious.

I very rarely see anything at BD or GNG that's 10% above what I can order them for online.

I would rather spend a little more to support our local shops anyway. We have some great shops and some times it is cheaper to buy from them. I got 2 swaro's from Mtn View Sports at the same price as the 'great deal' offerred on line. The people behind the counter are always great to deal with. When I wanted a Rem 870 PMax the nice folks at Boondocks ordered it at a fair price for me.
    BEE

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I would rather spend a little more to support our local shops anyway. We have some great shops and some times it is cheaper to buy from them. I got 2 swaro's from Mtn View Sports at the same price as the 'great deal' offerred on line. The people behind the counter are always great to deal with. When I wanted a Rem 870 PMax the nice folks at Boondocks ordered it at a fair price for me.
    BEE
    To address the opening post, I have experienced courteous and professional service at BD, MVS and GNG. I willingly spend my money at these businesses.

Also prefer to spend my money locally; I have ventured into a few "big stores" and find good prices and (typically) good service / responses to my questions, but quite honestly, I am very "put off" at the volume of "foreign made" products, preferring to buy American made products.

I have left stores to return to my home / computer to search out American made products after "seeing what I want" in a store and finding this item to be made overseas. Yes, it typically costs more, and again, it is my choice.

To emphasize, if I am treated poorly, I will not return and spend any money at that business. I will not verbally "bad mouth" that particular business but I sure will not spend any more of my funds there.

And I do realize when the sales staff is slammed / short staffed, then I will need to wait a bit; heck, I have left, got a bite to eat or a coffee and returned 20 minutes later to an empty shop Then I can bs all I want and the staff is relaxed as well.

Again, just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I very rarely see anything at BD or GNG that's 10% above what I can order them for online.
    Yes they usually are right with shipped price anyway if they have it so I always buy local if I can find it and only order if I cant find it.

Even if I don't buy a gun I always buy something when I go in any gun shop tire kickin, if you can't find something you need in a gun shop you just ain't shootin enough to need to be in a gun shop . . . hugh, that sounds like a line from Fight Club.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I can see the frustration with internet sales. But how many gun shops around here always have a Colt Delta Elite, or a Winchester 1894 with an octagon barrel made pre 64, or a schofield revolver? You may find one every once in a while in a gun shop, but the internet always has them in stock. If you are interested in classic firearms, like I am, the internet is the place to shop.

If a gun shop has bad customer service, I will never go back. And I will make sure all of my friends know about it. If they are busy, I have no problem waiting, gives me more time to look around. Just politely tell me that you will be with me in a minute. If a shop has an employee that doesn't get along well with customers, I would think the owner would do all he/she can to fix that employee's attitiude, or send them down the road. I know if I owned a gun shop, I would want to try to sell as many guns as I could, instead of turning people out the door to tell thier buddies that my shop sucks.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Classic firearms are just what the internet is for. It's the same reason my hardware store doesn't stock expensive hand planes. In the ever competitive world of retail there just isn't much room for expensive slow sellers. The second issue is that Alaska is a young state and there just aren't as many classic firearms floating around here as in the states

I would also like to add that I have bought two firearms from the Wasilla SW and have received great service from them on those sales.

Hmm, sounds like a custom shop I dealt with in Anchorage a few years back... a few day job turned into not getting my rifle back for several months, and how dare I ask for status or an estimated completion timeframe.. They did great work, but their customer service sucked and for that they will never get another dollar from me. Oh, and as an aside, on one of my visits to check on my rifle I observed a nice lady - who obviously had no clue what she was looking for - on an errand to buy 9mm plinking ammo for her husband get steered toward spendy, premium, hollow point ammo.. When the employee was distracted I pulled her aside and mentioned she could find what she was looking for at a fraction of their cost at Sportsmans, or even walmart for that matter..
    Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast