Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid question - muzzle brake for a Remington 700CDL

Default stupid question - muzzle brake for a Remington 700CDL

I'm interested in upgrading from my current hunting rifle to a Remington 700 CDL .300 Ultra mag possibly this summer... the reason for this choice is it's available in left handed bolt and I'm left handed. I don't know a whole lot about this subject but I'd be interested in ways to mitigate the recoil and heard about muzzle brakes... can a muzzle brake be fitted to this model of rifle? If so, roughly how expensive is they and how hard to put on?

Thanks

Yes, a brake can be fitted without any problem. KDF brakes installed are 189 to 229 depending on who does it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Yes, a brake can be fitted without any problem. KDF brakes installed are 189 to 229 depending on who does it.
    This is something that can be done here in town?

Not sure about Anch., But I install them regularly here in Fbks.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

My 300wsm came with a brake when i got it. It only felt like a 270 at best but I could not stand it.It was ridiculously loud. To the point of plugs and cuffs or my ears would ring for 2 days. I took it off and put a cap on it then replaced the pad with a limb saver. Much better and i can hunt with it and not have 2 layers of ear protection on. I will say that my wife loves it and with the limb saver and the brake on it feels more like a 243 at most. If you are not intending to hunt with it or you hunt alone then go for it. But for your hearing sake of a hunting partner NEVER shoot it next to him or her.

Just curious as to why your desire for a .300 RUM? It sure uses a lot of powder for what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just curious as to why your desire for a .300 RUM? It sure uses a lot of powder for what it does.
    Well I love my 30.06 but the bullets start to fall after about 200 yards and I wanted something in a .30 calibre that can really reach out longer distances... I'm open to other suggestions!

Do ALL muzzle brakes increase the loudness? ie. is that an innate feature of the brake or are some designed to mitigate that? Does the limb saver pad reduce the recoil as much as a muzzle brake?

ALL bullets begin to fall when they exit the barrel - Although an RUM will flatten the curve it too takes "doping" to know where it will hit at any given distance - Viet Nam era snipers like Carlos Hathcock (arguably the most well known) made long, long, long KILL shots with startling regularity with a .308 & 30.06 - A 180 grain .30 Accubond leaving the muzzle at 2800 fps still has plenty of killing energy left at 500 yards and you won't talk like Elmer Fudd for the rest of the day or need hearing aids nearly as soon

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Well I love my 30.06 but the bullets start to fall after about 200 yards and I wanted something in a .30 calibre that can really reach out longer distances... I'm open to other suggestions!

Do ALL muzzle brakes increase the loudness? ie. is that an innate feature of the brake or are some designed to mitigate that? Does the limb saver pad reduce the recoil as much as a muzzle brake?
    Some MB makers claim no increase in noise. Vais I think is one of them. I don't use them myself but have been around them enough. I am not a fan of the 300 RUM. I have placed many shots well with various 300 Win Mag rifles. I don't think the difference between the RUM and Win out at the 600 yard line is felt by the animals we hunt. As for marksmanship, if you need a muzzle brake to mitigate recoil maybe you need less gun. A RUM brings 30% more recoil with 10% better ballistics, over the WIN.

It is more popular and ammo cheaper and more available. But it's kinda funny about the cartoon bullets of the 30-06, huh? Actually it does work well beyond 400 yards, as a hunting rifle.

A limb save or de-cellerator pads are worth their weight in gold.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

300wsm I love mine

Do ALL muzzle brakes increase the loudness? ie. is that an innate feature of the brake

Yes! They work by forcing the gasses (sound) out the side, top, bottom of the ends of the barrel. So the sound instead of going out away from the shooter or his friend is sent out and back. They do make different types but they all function the same way. If you shoot prone make sure you tell your gun smith some brakes are built without ports on the bottom to keep the dust down and out of your face.

Does the limb saver pad reduce the recoil as much as a muzzle brake?[/QUOTE]

simply answer no. I love mine but it is no comparison to a brake. It changes the felt recoil not reducing it. Its like wearing a big thick sweater.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

A brake DOES NOT increase the loudness,, only HOW it is heard.. a explosive charge in any calibure can only be so loud for that Load..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As you say, a muzzle brake will not increase the total decibel level. However, most muzzle brakes do change the shape of the sound pattern. And most change the sound pattern's, increasing it's intensity back towards the shooter - and even more so towards your buddy if they are next to you.

Some muzzle brakes are designed to minimize the sound pattern directed towards the shooter, although they may not work best with a 300 RUM.

From the Surefire website:
    SureFire muzzle brakes greatly reduce recoil and up-and-right muzzle movement to keep you on target for faster follow-up shots, while their patented Impulse Diffusion design minimizes side blast and rear-directed concussion effects.

Sorry, a little tough to read. The key part says: "their patented Impulse Diffusion design minimizes side blast and rear-directed concussion effects."

If you want a brake, have one installed. They work, regardless of opinions on how they change the noise pattern. And yes, when you shoot any firearm, it is advisable to wear hearing protection.

We will install one of our 3 hole brakes and blue it to match for 250$. They work well, and will not kick debris up off the ground when kneeling or prone, as they have no holes in the bottom. We also happen to have a LH CDL in 300RUM on the rack if you haven't bought one yet.

WWG 7100 Homer Drive. 9am-5:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    We will install one of our 3 hole brakes and blue it to match for 250$. They work well, and will not kick debris up off the ground when kneeling or prone, as they have no holes in the bottom. We also happen to have a LH CDL in 300RUM on the rack if you haven't bought one yet.

That's good to know! I wasn't planning to buy one till summer, or at least tax refund time...

But I also value everyone's comments and it sounds like some feel it's overkill (which surprised me) and since I have a friend with a .300 RUM maybe I should ask him to let me try it out to see what it's like, recoil and all, before I commit myself...

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post

But since you brought it up I should ask what is the price tag on said rifle, and is it new or used?

I don't know what the asking price is, that's not my department. But I do know that it's been there a while now, and if a guy was to swing by and visit with Hans, I'd bet a deal could be had. We are open from 10-4:30 on Saturdays for the working man. Hans also is a wealth of knowledge for 300UM load data, he shot one for a number of years and is a handloading fanatic.

NA,
    How much shooting do you plan on doing, do you have someone to reload for you? The 300 rum can get expensive if you have to buy store brand ammo, & shoot alot. However so can a lot of guns. I like my 300rum , I also have a 10mm again not the most practical & spendy ammo but I like it. I have a remington 700 with a r1 pad on it & the recoil has never bothered me. It has good power & will allow you to reach out to mid to long range with out hesitation. Would a 300 winmag do the same, probably but I sold my browning 300 winmag years ago for this one & I like the rum much better. Actually shoots better & felt recoil is less do to the better recoil pad that came stock. So if possible shoot your buddies, or see if you can try the one from WWG, or you could always look at 338

Start with a Limbsaver before you decide on a muzzle brake. You may be pleasantly suprised how well the LS works. As for the caliber, I would shoot a couple different calibers and do some research on ballistics and cost. I have a 300 WBY and love the ballistics. I reload for it and keep the cost down, but the 30-06 has seen more use lately cause it kicks less. It's not about cost and it's not about performance. It all about the fact that I can shoot it out to 400 yards and actually hit it since im not flinching. Just something to think about.

Thanks. I'm not currently set up to reload but would like to do so down the road. My dad reloaded handgun ammo when I was young so I'm familiar with it. As for recoil, my 30.06 doesn't bother me at all, so maybe just recoil pad alone will make all the difference in a larger calibre. I'll try my friend's gun before making any decisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast