Thread: Black Bears Licking Their Bellies

Default Black Bears Licking Their Bellies

To plug up their guts so they don't mess up their dens, ever hear that before? I been told this years ago. One guy last year told me it is not true. It makes sense for them to that. I am asking because I have never seen a plug in the woods. So just wondering if you guys ever seen one? Also ever see pop can size turds in logs? Seen it in one bay out of whittier. Always read in the magizines that it means it is a trophy bear. Is that something to go by as far as size of bear? Again makes sense to me and was in the march or april issue of North American Hunter. Just was thinking of bear poop and thought i would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Also ever see pop can size turds in logs? Seen it in one bay out of whittier.
    Sorry that was me I spent a week eating MRE's and that was the result I promise to dig a hole next time and bury it....jj Actually a good question

Bears DO plug themselves up for hibernation. Yes, I have seen these plugs in the woods. Sure am glad I didn't have to pass the ones I saw. No wonder their disposition is so sour...... That's one of the main reasons they eat so much grass when they leave their dens, before starting to eat meat. Grass gets them 'regular'.

Also, the size of the turd is a direct reflection on the size of the bear, if it is a solid sample. Determining what is a big one takes a trained eye from looking at a lot of samples and comparing them to the size of the south end of the bears.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Lujon

pretty impressive.

i know big piles equals a bigger bear. But when you see pop can size turds multiple inches long it is impressive. Plus gets you thinking about how big that bear can be. Have heard about a few 7' plus bears taken in a certain area out there. After i get one of those biggens i will compare the "south end" to the piles of scat to make an unscientific decision. Like I said to me it makes sense, but sometimes people will try to decieve you with information.

the magizine i read was American Hunter and april 2007 issue.

'Course, it could be the same reason dogs lick themselves,,,, because they can.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Hawken54, akrstabout, & LuJon were walking by a bear den in the late fall when they noticed a black bear inside licking his junk... Hawken54 pointed at the bear and said "look at that black bear licking his balls!" akrstabout said, "man I wish I could do that!" LuJon said "that bear would probably bite you...!"

- Clint

Default Oh yeah, big bear

On the trail to my cabin, I stopped the atv and got off to look at the odd pile of things on the trail ahead of me. There were three logs, bear poops, about 6 inches long and 4 inches or so around ( no I didn't actually measure them) kind of stacked against each other. After staring at this incredible achievement a half minute or so, I turned instinctivly to my left and saw this BIG brownie, standing on his hind legs, probably getting my wind. I glanced again at the scat and KNEW it was his. I waited until he dropped down and left, then got back on my wheeler and continued on, vowing to just go on by next time that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    Hawken54, akrstabout, & LuJon were walking by a bear den in the late fall when they noticed a black bear inside licking his junk... Hawken54 pointed at the bear and said "look at that black bear licking his balls!" akrstabout said, "man I wish I could do that!" LuJon said "that bear would probably bite you...!"

- Clint

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats freaking funny
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

A bear's colon fills with a hair/mucous plug for hibernation. In mid to late April, when they emerge from the den, they usually head for open creek bottoms in search of skunk cabbage or other noxious plants. They eat just enough to give themself the runs which expels the plug and for about a week they eat nothing but grass. Like Hawken54 said, to get regular and because their systems can't handle meat. After a week or so they will take on winter kill if they find it and after two weeks moose calving season starts. They will eat new grass all spring but will not pass up meat once their guts get back to normal.

A gee-whiz tip for bear baiters. A 1/2 pound of grass seed, 2 gallons of luke warm water, 1 tsp Miracle Grow in a 5 gallon bucket with lid.
    Store someplace that does not freeze.
    Put the lid on loose and wait for the grass to start.

Do this a week before you want to put this in the woods.

It smells like a day-old lawn clippings and is good on early season bears

Default alaskacajun

nice one!!

the areas I mainly hunt are filled with blackies. never seen a brown bear track or an actual bear. Maybe I should buy a tag anyways. The one bay is possible to be a brownie as I have never stayed to see what comes out of the trees.

the area we has our bait the bears loved it and seemed to have ate right away. easy on their guts i think. seen piles with a little grass but mainly the bait food remnates. Just dying to get it started this year. We have a better plan i think. Just picked up some bait today.

thanks for confirming what I have heard. Just never saw it personally. They do like their grass. My grandpa got a picture of a nice one last year just a few days out of season. His first blackie he has ever seen. Got to with in somewhere around 100 or closer. But was just putin down the grass. My dads bear he shot was also just packing the grass away even at the end of may, even with the bait there.

happy hunting and good luck.