Thread: Trolling for steelhead

Default Trolling for steelhead

Anyone ever had any luck catching steelhead along Cook Inlet's beaches? Trolling may not be the best way to get these guys perhaps. Casting flies instead near river mouths? Is there a dedicated saltwater fishery for steelhead anywhere in the Pacific northwest? Just curious.

Thanks!

I know of one that was caught (and released) in the saltwater by a sportfisherman on the W coast of POW. I'm pretty sure I mark them on my sounder in April/May when I'm trolling near steelhead rivers. Big marks up really high, and they don't bite.

My family had been trolling for kings and silvers in cook inlet for 40 years.... never seen or even heard of a steel head being caught trolling. Have caught just about everything else, reds, dollies, pinks, chums, halibut, cod, etc, but never a steel head.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

No reason to troll a small green hoochie with a spin glow, slow in shallow water in Sept when we are tired of catching salmon all summer I tried it here and it works just like in Washington, not bad just ok. If all of our other fishing sucked it would seem a lot better! If we had 2 million Steelhead returning to the Anchor River and not 200 what a fishery that would be!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    No reason to troll a small green hoochie with a spin glow, slow in shallow water in Sept when we are tired of catching salmon all summer I tried it here and it works just like in Washington, not bad just ok. If all of our other fishing sucked it would seem a lot better! If we had 2 million Steelhead returning to the Anchor River and not 200 what a fishery that would be!
    No doubt, 200 might be an overestimate..... Give them another 20 years of catch and realease and pray for no more big floods in Oct and we might have decent numbers.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have firsthand knowledge of steelhead being caught from the beach near Deep Crk. in the fall (Aug-Sept-Oct) while casting vibrax spinners for Silvers. As for the comment of floods damaging in river fisheries here.... After fishing these rivers here for 30 yrs now, and seeing the ups and downs all these yrs, I personally dont think the 'floods' have hurt the following yrs fish stocks. This based on my on the river eye witness accounts and living on one of the KP rivers that was flooded. I would agree that if there were more steelhead around, one could target them with trolling in saltwater.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Give them another 20 years of catch and release...
    Yeah, or just CLOSE THE FISHERY FOR FIVE YEARS and see how well they recover... when the number of fish caught divided into the estimated run strength indicates fish are being caught over and over you can't help but suspect that this would affect spawning success....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If you do happen to catch a steelhead in the salt be careful of where it is. Check out page 14 of the south-central fishing regs. I am not super familiar with the geography of that area but there are at least some areas where 0 retention is allowed.

From my experiance, steelhead like to run with the current. We used to get a 'few' in the Columbia River in the summer by anchoring up in a fair current, and use a small spinglow. Use a small (dime size) bait of eggs or piece of shrimp, and fish it just off the bottom. Use any color you want as long as it is red. Was deadly. May work with some tinkering around a river mouth where a run is coming in. Catching a steelhead was a rare thing in the ocean down there.

Charterboat Operator

hmm, thought the catch rate would have been higher than that, i have personally caught 3, granted, in many many years. but know of at least 2 others that have been caught (and released) 1 by deep creek in the spring, 2 by anchor in the fall in my case. the spring oe i do remember was on a little firecracker herring (red) dont remember what the fall ones were but some type of lure.

Well, this is how I would do it, spent lots and lots of time chasing steelies in open water on the GL. Get up in front of the rivers, run shallow plugs (rapalas, wiggle warts, etc...) or spoons, silver w. orange tape, silver n blue, water melon, silver and pink. Set the spoons about 100-150 back with 1/2 or 1oz inline sinker and put it out onteh planer board. Get 6 or 8 guys on the boat and cover water. If they're there you'll find em. Hold on, they'll put teh sivlers to shape when you hook em um in open water. Wish we had targetable numbers,love trolling steelies.

Yeah I guess one need to be prepared to spend a lot of time out there in hopes of even getting a bite! Might give it a go next summer. So maybe in September? Any late run Kenai silvers passing through then too? Would love to feel a saltwater steelie fight.

Thanks all for great info!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Yeah, or just CLOSE THE FISHERY FOR FIVE YEARS and see how well they recover... when the number of fish caught divided into the estimated run strength indicates fish are being caught over and over you can't help but suspect that this would affect spawning success....
    I'm with you Dave, close it down and give the fish a chance to come back!! Never mind trying to catch them outside the river.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692