Thread: 410 Warthog?

Default 410 Warthog?

There was a thread about 9-10 months ago on WSM wildcats, primarily the larger calibers. Murphy said he had done all the calibers up to .416 and was then currently working on a .411 version he called the 410 Warthog.

Murphy, I've got a couple of questions for you:
    did you ever finish that workup, and if so, do you have a reamer and dies made up?
    did you lengthen the neck on the Warthog, or on another .375 or larger WSM wildcat?

I think the WSM case with a caliber length neck would still be between the Ackley/Hawk wildcats and the Taylor versions for case capacity and power, which is plenty for North American hunting. I would much prefer a beltless case with plenty of shoulder and neck, than one with an extra 100 fps. Plus, I like the idea of having .411 hardcast gas-checked pistol bullets for lower cost practice shooting and deer hunting.

Yes I did. I have a reamer but no dies yet. I've coddled up loads for initial testing. Also I have used the modified 375 Ruger case, (What became known as the 358 Nukalpiaq) with slightly lengthened neck, and necked it up to .423", 416", and .410". All these three are good but with the current 416 Ruger, the modified 416 has little merit. I do like the 410 Selous (Ruger case) and it does have a little more capacity than the WSM even though that is enough for the 300 to 350 grain Hawks and Kodiaks. The 350 Swift bullet in the 410 Selous is the equal of the 416 Taylor and with 400 grain Woodleigh's or Swifts is more than the 450/400 N. E.

The WSM is more practical and and brass is a simple neck up operation. I'll look up my notes and post some data after a while. I believe the 300 grains are 2600 fps, 350's at 2500 fps or there about.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Michael has done a ton of work and research on the WSM line. You can read all about it here:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/9111029801

The only problem with the B&M line of cartridges is that they won't sell a reamer and only do their custom work thru SSK firearms. I tried to get them to just chamber one for me and finish it myself but they will only do completed work and I didn't want to spend 3K+ to have one done.

Yes, the B&M line has impessive ballistics, but they all have very short necks and I just don't like the design. They're also based on cutoff RUM brass, so take a lot more case forming than just running a WSM through a sizing die.

You're in the St. Louis area. When I get back from my venture I can mail you the 410 Warthog reamer. It is just the WSM necked up to accept the .411" bullets (That's what's available, not .410") Swift will run the .411" bullets this summer and you can get their 350 grain A-frames. Kodiak makes 300's and will make 330 grains for you and of course Hawk and North Fork will make them to your specs and Woodleigh makes 350's and 400 grain. It really shines at 300 to 350 grains and is more than enough gun for a big grizzly or lion and of course, the real test of any cartridge...warthog!!. Redding is working on the dies. Any standard WSM action can be re-barreled and will feed perfectly. A budget ass-kicking rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy, sounds great!

It looks as though it will be a couple of weeks. I forgot my reamer is out on loan. It also may be a few months before Redding gets my dies out. If you are sure you want to do this now is the time to order dies for the 410 Warthog. I can add to the original Redding order, in any configuration you want. A two die full length sizer set, A three die with a neck sizer, or the way I order them with a body sizer, a neck sizer and a seater. Prices are about $285 for the 3 die set. I order them with the tapered, smooth expander button and you might want an additional expander for an interim step for necking up 325 brass. I use the 375 or the 9.3 tapered expander in the neck sizing die, then the 410 expander button. This works without any problems for necking up new brass. I have used 300 WSM brass as I had a supply of it on hand and that works too if we go up in steps.

I have a barreled ordered for a Sako A7 rifle, is/was a (270 WSM). I want to use this action but be able to restore it to original if necessary. I use Kreiger cut rifled barrels with a groove diameter of .4110" I am also going to fit a .4230" barrel to this action......I think.

Default 404 Jefferies case

All the WSM's were started from the 404 Jefferies case, I know the person who started making this new round, I have the 22 Baby, it was first called the 22 Warthog, it is a super short, 404 Jefferies necked down to 22 cal, I have the 257, 300 and 350, all with the 404 Jefferies case as their base of production. All work great. I have shot Brown bear, Black Bear, antelope, elk, deer, rock chucks, prairie dogs and coyotes to name a few of the animals. the 404 case has a good capacity and easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    All the WSM's were started from the 404 Jefferies case, I know the person who started making this new round, I have the 22 Baby, it was first called the 22 Warthog, it is a super short, 404 Jefferies necked down to 22 cal, I have the 257, 300 and 350, all with the 404 Jefferies case as their base of production. All work great. I have shot Brown bear, Black Bear, antelope, elk, deer, rock chucks, prairie dogs and coyotes to name a few of the animals. the 404 case has a good capacity and easy to get.
    Yes the 404 case is a good one. It was made thicker and stronger and making shortened cartridges from it makes a very durable case. I know the original designer of what became the WSM cases, we've been friends for some years. Many have used the case for the bases of several successful cartridges. The Dakota series is that 404 case shortened to 2.570". I used it as the basis of two of my own cartridges. The WSM brass is plentiful and when you want a short high capacity case it is good. This 410 Warthog is just the unaltered 325 WSM case necked up to hold .411" bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    If you are sure you want to do this now is the time to order dies for the 410 Warthog. I can add to the original Redding order, in any configuration you want. I order them with the tapered, smooth expander button and you might want an additional expander for an interim step for necking up 325 brass.
    Murphy, I'll take a 2-die set with full-length sizer and seater with the tapered, smooth expander and a second expander from .325-.366 (9.3mm) for interim neckup. Let me know how much, and how to send to you.

Thanks, Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    Murphy, I'll take a 2-die set with full-length sizer and seater with the tapered, smooth expander and a second expander from .325-.366 (9.3mm) for interim neckup. Let me know how much, and how to send to you.

Thanks, Jeff.
    I have this on order but there will be a wait. I'll let you know when and how much.