Thread: New WhisperLite Universal

Default New WhisperLite Universal

I posted this over on the hunting pages too. New MSR WhisperLite Universal burns liquid fuel and IsoPro Butane. Here's a review of it. http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.co...ite-universal/

Sounds like a good stove. Mine's in the mail already.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

These are very popular. I have the regular Whisperlite and it has never failed me. Brings water to a boil much faster than other stoves I have used :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Looks like I am getting that second stove I wanted. I already have one International, but I need a spare.

Cabelas has them for $99
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Something else to put on the to buy list.
    Now what ?

hang on before getting one from Cabelas. Now on there website they are saying the description of the stove doesn't match what the stove actually does. Too late for me, I already ordered one. If the stove I get doesn't match the description on the website they are going to get an earful.

Just got my stove in from Cabelas. They sent the wrong one, they don't carry this one yet. I explained to them that they are advertising the wrong stove and told them they should change the product description on the page so we'll see what happens. They wanted me to pay shipping to return it to them but after some conversation they said they would refund return shipping as well.

I'm not impressed with this new MSR stove. A canister stove is so lightweight (something like 2 0z.), that I'd rater have one as a back up to a group cook stove than just one stove. I'm not impressed with the original whisperlite int. that I've been running since 2006. I've even used both the older pump, and the newer one. I'm selling mine and going with an optimus. It's a better stove IMO because it has the adjuster right near the burner so you can actually simmer with it. Not to mention the pump isn't made of plastic, which I've already broke one of those.

The new Whisperlite Universal is actually a pretty good stove. It really will simmer -- if you use a few tricks. You've got to have a lot of air space in the fuel bottle. If the fuel bottle is relatively full, it's going to be hard to simmer. You also want to use only 1/3 to 1/2 of your normal number of pump strokes.

I've got some videos on my blog which while hardly polished do illustrate some of the functionality of the stove. I've also have quite a number of photos, including a number of flame shots which should give you an idea of the power of the stove.

HJ