Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 358 Winchester info

Default 358 Winchester info

What are some your pet loads for 358 Winchester for moose, elk and or bison sized critters?

Do any of you hunt big bruins with a 358? Would you?

Elmer, this is the handgun forum. Did you mean a 358 Win in a handgun? I'm sure it's been done, but would be a handful.

Maybe you should repost this in the hunting or shooting forums.

EKC,

Just ask the mods to move your thread. Till then, I'll take you under my wing since you're a 358 Win "newby"

I've tried three different type sizer dies for the 358 Win, and the redding dies work best. They require less force for resizing the 308 cases to 358 Win. There really is no need to buy 358 brass if you don't want to, as 308 brass resizes like butter. It's actually hard to tell the difference between the two, unless you look at the head stamp.

Had a bunch of blood shot meat on a moose with the 200 grain hornady, won't ever do that again. Violent expansion, core seperation, and loss of the majority of a front quarter.

250 grain Speer Hot-cors are the best all around bullet for this cartridge if ya ask me.

If you want to get "pricey", I'll be loading up the 250 grain Swift A-frame this season over MR-2000 powder.

I'll also be making a long range load utilizing the up-coming 200 grain Nosler Accubond.

1st the 308 to 358 while a great idea I did it with my 358 winchester in a ruger 77. But uh oh dang thing wouldn't shoot, there was light indent on the primers. But 358 winchester brass it would shoot just fine. Oh dang it that whole head spacing thing the shoulder on the sized up case causing was the issue. So if you go that route I suggest getting a bunch of cheap pistol bullets and firefrom the case so you have a good shoulder on the fireformed cases. I was using 225gr Sierra with RL 15. I could not get the accubonds or partitions to shoot in it, but the sierras shot real well. Me I would not use the 250's I wsa using Hornady 250 a very long bullet and it will eat up a lot case room. I had a heck of time trying to get 2500 fp.ps with my 350 mag in a ruger 77 so one will be hard pressed to get 2400 with a 358. The Ruger 77 short actions have a longer mag box than the Rem 700. I just sold 53 new pieces of 358 winchester brass for 20 bucks. In the end I sold my 358 the rainbow trajectory was not appealing but with this 2000-MR who knows now I'm very impressed with that powder.

323, I did have some misfires using both the Lee and RCBS full length sizing dies, by any chance, were these what you were using?

If so, than you may be re-enforcing my push towards the redding dies for full-length sizing 308 brass.

I was using lee dies so you are probably right it was the dies. The ones that did go bang I never had any issues with them after that. In a way wish I would of kept the rifle and messed with it more...

I use H4895, TAC, and hear that win 748 is great as well. I load the 225gr Partition to 2430fps with both TAC or H4895. I use the 200gr Spire point on deer only with H322 at 2500fps because is a fast expander. Used the Hawk 225gr.030" RT with H4895 at 2340fps and on deer its special to say the lest. A Hawk 225gr .035" RT or Nosler 225gr Partition, or 250gr Round Nose of Hornady or Speer will work fine in the 358win. I use only new win 358 brass midway carries it. Mt dies are Hornady and I partical size my brass making sure they will chamber befoer loading them.

I think the 225gr Partition is all you would ever need for moose with the 250gr RN's as more coast effective choices. The 358win is under loaded and I bet in a bolt you can get 2500 fps easy if your carful. I have a 20"barrel and get 2430fps with 225gr PT's or GK's with listed max loads.

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    I use H4895, TAC, and hear that win 748 is great as well. I load the 225gr Partition to 2430fps with both TAC or H4895. I use the 200gr Spire point on deer only with H322 at 2500fps because is a fast expander. Used the Hawk 225gr.030" RT with H4895 at 2340fps and on deer its special to say the lest. A Hawk 225gr .035" RT or Nosler 225gr Partition, or 250gr Round Nose of Hornady or Speer will work fine in the 358win. I use only new win 358 brass midway carries it. Mt dies are Hornady and I partical size my brass making sure they will chamber befoer loading them.

I think the 225gr Partition is all you would ever need for moose with the 250gr RN's as more coast effective choices. The 358win is under loaded and I bet in a bolt you can get 2500 fps easy if your carful. I have a 20"barrel and get 2430fps with 225gr PT's or GK's with listed max loads.

+! This should get you on your way.

I'm sorta new to this cartridge too but have had decent luck with IMR-3031 and Sierra 225gr GameKings. I haven't enjoyed much luck developing accurate 200gr bullet loads and really don't have a use for them so I'm not gonna sweat it. This summer I'll be working with 225gr Partitions, 250 gr Grand Slams and Partitions using TAC, W748, IMR-3031 and H322.

I have about one week left to get my rifle back. It was a 308 Savage 99 that just got rebored to 358. I've already ordered some 250 grain Swift A-frames. I'll post my load results in a few days using the MR-2000 powder. I should see 2,400 fps from a 20" barrel judging by my experiences with the powder in other cartridges. This is the second rifle I've owned in 358. First was a BLR. I keep checking midwayusa for the 200 grain accubond, but it isn't avail. yet. The second that bullet becomes avail, I'll be testing it out to 400 yds.

I know one guy that has used a .358 Win. for over 20 years.. He loads the 250 grain Speer Hot Cor.

Nosler has stated that the 200gr Accubond would not be suitable for the smaller cased .35s, i.e. 35Rem and 358Win.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB...hp?f=4&t=17511

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post
    Nosler has stated that the 200gr Accubond would not be suitable for the smaller cased .35s, i.e. 35Rem and 358Win.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB...hp?f=4&t=17511
    This is based solely on the OAL. It is easy enough to pull/snip the polycarbonate tip and have plenty of latitude in OAL. The B.C. will be changed, but not enough to have any affect at .358 Winchester hunting ranges.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I size winchester 308 up to 358 and the only issue I have is the case needs to be trimmed down. my current load is 44gr of 4064 pushing a 250 gr speer. I do not know the ballistics but I can tell you its devastating on bear and even elk out to 200 yards. The yardage I shoot is based on how far my crippled back is willing to travel to recover my animal.
    I run 43 gr of 4064 to push 200gr silvertips.
    oh and Im shooting a browning blr model 81 steel receiver
    Last edited by hunt-fish-trap; 03-16-2012 at 11:42. Reason: I suck at spelling
    only 2 more years and I get to spend 3 months in the best place on earth.....ALASKA!

The 200 grain nosler accubond will work just fine in the 358 winchester. The 220 grain accubond has been used extensively by beartooth. I will be developing a load with that 200 grainer. I'll report my results as soon as it becomes available. Midway don't have them for sale just yet. I'm going to call the nosler folks about this bullet too and will report my results to them. My son will be shooting his first caribou with the 200 grain accubond, and maybe a moose too.

For those who may be interested ... (I've had extremely good success with BuffaloBore ammo in 45/70, 44 special, and 44 magnum.)
    Buffalo Bore is producing what they are calling "Buffalo/Barnes Premium .358 Win. Supercharged" ammo ... 225 grain Barnes TSX @ 2500 fps. Might be a good one to try for Alaskan hunters. Info and ballistics data @ ...

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=246

Here we are 3.5 years later. I just bought some 308 to 358 brass off the internet. I bought 200 rounds because after talking to the seller I found that they all came from the same lot of brass were once fired as 308s then resized in Redding dies and trimmed to 358 spec. All sounds good to me, however I loaded 20 rounds and headed to woods and my range. My gun was was just fresh off a rebore from 308 to 358 and I cleaned it vigorously when it got back from JES Reboring. So I was going to fire a fouling shot into the dirt. However I pulled the trigger and all I got was the sound of the firing pin falling. The round had a very light dent in the primer. Same thing on three rounds in a row. I ran home and got some loaded ammo from my last 358(the one that started this thread). They are loaded on new Winchester brass(thanks Smokey) and they functioned flawlessly in that Ruger Hawkeye. Back at the range I found what I already suspected. JES's chamber was perfect as the rounds loaded on the factory brass performed like the should. In fact the first three rounds fired went under an inch.

Now back to the resized 308 brass. Obviously they have the shoulder set back to far. I loaded one of the converted rounds and held the rifle with the muzzle pointed up into the branches of a big pine tree and pulled the trigger. With the case sitting flat against the bolt face it went off. The gun is a Weatherby Vanguard S2 and they do have a robust firing pin spring and perhaps a bit more firing pin protruding through the bolt face than say a Remington 700 or some others. I did the same with the remaining 19 rounds loaded in that brass. Then took my newly fireformed brass home and reloaded them and went back to the range and they performed as they should.

That leaves me with 180 brass to shoot up through that poor pine tree....I am pointing at the main trunk portion about 30 feet up. To just shoot them off into the air would be reckless and unthinkable yet the gun has to be pointed up for the rounds to bang. Will 10 grains of Bluedot and a 158 grain pistol bullet be enough to fireform the 180 brass left with short shoulders?

Smokey, I'm saving the factory brass for an actual hunt and or prep for a hunt. I want to work up a load with Hornady 250 grain Round noses and Tac powder. Bison in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    That leaves me with 180 brass to shoot up through that poor pine tree....I am pointing at the main trunk portion about 30 feet up. To just shoot them off into the air would be reckless and unthinkable yet the gun has to be pointed up for the rounds to bang. Will 10 grains of Bluedot and a 158 grain pistol bullet be enough to fireform the 180 brass left with short shoulders?
    I'd create a false shoulder on the new brass rather than submit that poor pine tree (and brass cases) to further abuse.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

No problems with RCBS dies in converting .308 to .358 Win. Fires every time in my .308-358 re-bore Savage 99F. One pass every time with resizer and a little dab of lube. No misfeeds.
    I like Hornady 200 gr. RN in front of 47 gr. of Varget.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Will 10 grains of Bluedot and a 158 grain pistol bullet be enough to fireform the 180 brass left with short shoulders?
    I'd seat them out to kiss the rifling so the case is set back against the bolt face at the time of firing. That should prevent any forward push from that "robust" firing pin spring on the Vanguard. Pretty standard practice in the case forming world.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'd create a false shoulder on the new brass rather than submit that poor pine tree (and brass cases) to further abuse.
    I picked that old pine as the top blew out of it and it only has branches on the side that I'm using as a back stop. It needs to come down anyway as it is badly crowding a nice hickory.

How does one create a false shoulder? Is that what's happening if I seat them as BB has suggested? In the case of the round being held back against the bolt face because the bullet is into the rifling actually means I would be headspacing off the bullet. Right? That doesn't bother me since it will be done with a light load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast