Thread: Fishing Gear

Default Fishing Gear

What kind of fishing gear do I need for catching salmon? I moved up here from Wyoming and am used to catching fish under 2 lbs. My light tackle probably won't cut it for a 20 # salmon. I'm supposing I'll mainly catch Silvers due to their being easier to catch and hopefully by the time they run I'll have my wits about me. I'll try for kings, reds, and whatever else I can stick a hook in.

What size of rod do I need? A friend said to get a medium heavy ugly stick and it will handle any salmon. What should a get for a reel? Bait caster or other? What do most folks use? How big of a reel? How about line? 20#?

I'm sure I'll figure out what to use for bait through out the summer. I just want to make sure I'm buying what I need before I plunk down the cash for new fishing tackle for the family. Oh yeah, I'll probably need to get several rod reel combos so I can't afford the $500 set up.

I'd appreciate any pointers.
    Thanks

An 8-17lb med to med/hvy rod in either casting or spinning will make a very good all around salmon rod and will handle king salmon to 35lbs or so with out too much trouble if you play them right. I would check out the following brands. Rod's-G.Loomis, St. Croix and Lamiglass, all three make very good to excellent rod's and have good warranty programs with G.Loomis being at the top. For the reel Shimano is hard to beat, I have a Quantum Boca on an 8-17lb rod I built and it's been great so far (2 seasons), the price is reasonable but might be on the high end of what you want to spend. You should be able to get a real nice salmon rig for $200 or a bit less........Alot less if you go with the Ugly Stick.

Uhhh.....where are you shopping I need to know! I can't find a Loomis for under $180 and that's not a king rod.

For starters Western, you should do just fine with an Ugly stick and an Ambassaduer 6500 C3. At Cabelas you'll pay $86 for the reel and $50 for the rod. You should be able to match those prices locally if you look. That's as cheap as I would recommend, it will last you a few years until you figure out where you want to go with your gear. If you can, by all means spring for the Loomis, they are awesome but they aren't cheap. Always keep in mind you get what you pay for. The more expensive stuff is really nice but its not necessary for starting out. There are several threads going already on rods and reels. Take a look at them. Happy shopping.

15-25lbs medium/medium heavy 9' rod or ugly stick and a penn reel. at least 25 pound test line.

Western should be able to get a couple of G.Loomis salmon rigs for around $500 and yes AKBighorn is right about the price, $180 and up and you won't find deals as they are price protected unless a model is being discontinued.

If you don't want to go expensive, go Ugly. I still have my first rod from 96 and it still catches fish. Get a winch for a reel. Make sure that you match the reel to the rod. IE: Level wind wth a level wind rod and spinning with a spinning rod.

Spinning rods have a large BIG loop/eyelet. Level winds have almost the same size eyes all the way up the rod.

Ugly sticks do well but they get heavy after a while. Great backup rods after you learn what you truely want.

If you are outfitting a family I'd suggest you go to Fred Meyer or Wal-Mart and buy some of their combos. They are usually set up with a balanced rod/reel/line so you can get out for not a lot of money. Then, when you have a season of fishing under your belt and know your preferences-baitcaster vs spinner or fly - you can go for the good stuff. I personally use Lamiglas baitcasters and Penn reels and the occasional Ugly Stik with an ABU Garcia 6500....especially if I have some kids along as they can't break an Ugly Stik! Spinning gear seems the easiest for newbys to use so if your experience level is low I'd suggest that as a place to start. Best of luck - I can't think of a better way to spend your time in the summer.

Default above post is right on

I'd agree go cheap first. Will they (rods and reels) last that long? Most likely not, but I still have the Freddys combo I bought years ago. Also I like Okuma reels. They are cheap and seem to be quality. I'd even say that the ugly stiks are good, but kinda overpriced for what you are getting. Just bend one and see if you like the tension etc on any given rod. Also I'd say hold it out and jiggle a rod. It helps a lot to have a stiff rod up frond by the handle and very limber and noodly at the tip. Good luck.

Abu Garcia Baitcaster (6500) and 8 1/2 foot rod heavy action (southbend trophy tamer) will catch all 5 pacific salmon for a reasonable price.

Testimonials are available.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks for all the replies. This is great information. Will get me off to the right start. I have experience fishing, just not for big fish.

an 8wt is my choice as far as spinning orcasting goes... I'd recomend ugly sticks for spinning (medium action) and south bend beat rods for casting...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You don't really need much for silvers, reds,. I use a rod I got for 50 cents at a thrift store and a 15 dollar wally world special. Caught hundreds of salmon on it. It's been about 12 years of good fishing and both still work.

Go to B&J's sporting goods and tell them what you said here and they will show you many different options that both will and won't break the budget. They probably have the most knowledgable staff in Anchorage.