Thread: MSR Whisperlite Universal

Default MSR Whisperlite Universal

Has anyone seen or tried one of these stoves yet. They are new for 2012. Looks good on the MSR website. http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves...versal/product It's a multi-fuel stove that can also burn canister fuel. $139.99.

Here's a review for it. http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.co...ite-universal/
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I've been checking this stove out a bit more and was just about to order one from REI since they had free shipping. I figured I'd check Cabelas just in case but I didn't figure they had it. They are selling them for $99.99. They aren't calling them the Whisperlite Universal, just the NEW Whisperlite International. I figured it might be something for some of you to look into since everyone is already starting to gear up for hunting season.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Thats just plain cool. I have two whisperlites and a jetboil, but this would cover both. I really like the regular fuel for colder weather and cooking on the stove.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

That is cool. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been thought of before. I wonder how long it'll be before Brunton comes up with one of their own?
    Now what ?

It's been thought of before. The Primus OmniFuel has done this for a while. It's a slick idea, whoever makes it.
    http://www.rei.com/product/784352/pr...kpacking-stove

Just got my stove in from Cabelas. They sent the wrong one, they don't carry this one yet. I explained to them that they are advertising the wrong stove and told them they should change the product description on the page so we'll see what happens. They wanted me to pay shipping to return it to them but after some conversation they said they would refund return shipping as well. I ordered another one and should get here soon. The Primus OmniFuel is $159 and the whisperlite universal is $139. Maybe a little expensive but i think it's worth it for being able to basically use any fuel on the planet.