Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338 Win Mag Kodiak Load

Default 338 Win Mag Kodiak Load

Hey guys. Looking to build a new load for my 338 in prep for an up and comming Kodiak Bear Hunt. I currently shoot 225 gr Accubonds but I think I might need something stiffer. I was looking at the 250 gr Barnes TSX. What has anybody achieved velocity wise with the 250 TSX? Anybody recommend a better load. Thanks

I would also consider the 275 gr Swift A Frame bullet: big bears . . . big bullets.

Barnes makes a 285 gr TSX, but I'm not sure if it will work in a Win Mag.

I've been really happy with the performance of the 225grain barnes triple shock. I don't think there is a need to go heavier in a TSX. Just my 2 cents.

I have always been thrilled with the performance of 225grn Partitions from my rifle.

Right now i shoot the 225 gr Accubond, but wasn't sure if it would due. At the guys recommending the 225, have you shot a Brown with them? If so did the bear drop or run off? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I've been really happy with the performance of the 225grain barnes triple shock. I don't think there is a need to go heavier in a TSX. Just my 2 cents.
    I agree. I could be easily talked into a 210 TTSX for the biggest animals in AK from my 338 WM. The heavier weights have a place, but not in a monolithic bullet.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I shoot the very boring and not so cool 250gr speer grand slams. With 70gr of H-4350 and CCI 250 they shoot pretty good. The only brown bear I ever shot I used a 416 Rigby with a 400gr barnes TSX. 150 yard shot one bullet one dead ass bear.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    Right now i shoot the 225 gr Accubond, but wasn't sure if it would due. At the guys recommending the 225, have you shot a Brown with them? If so did the bear drop or run off? Thanks

The brown bear I shot- 130 yards broadside -1st shot right behind shoulder, 2nd shot it was running thru the hips, then I shot it 2 more times behind the shoulder as it was spinning in a circle. All pass thrus with massive amounts of damage. They are tough animals and I've always been told to keep shooting if they are still moving. Black bear- DRT

The brown bear I shot- 130 yards broadside -1st shot right behind shoulder,
    What's the thinking there?

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    What's the thinking there?
    Double lung and I had plenty of room for follow-up shots. Why not?

I've been reloading the 338 win for a buddy with the Barnes 225 TSX just under 2700 fps. Scary accurate. Plenty of punch. I would feel confident with just about any tough bullet out of the 338. Barnes, Partition, Aframe etc. Maybe try the Partition and see if they shoot close to the accubonds. I think you can by them 25 at a time to save some money. We were going to switch to the 210 TTSX just to increase the velocity and improve point blank range. PBR in not much of an issue with brown bears though. Who is backing you up, and what are they shooting?

I used a 250 partition on mine but I would believe a 225 Barnes would work as well. Good luck. J.

How much of what flavor are you pushing the 225 TTSX or TSX with? I have a couple boxes, but have never reloaded these long copper boolitz.

I am away from home at the moment so do not have the specifcs on the load. I have settled on the Barnes 225 gr MRX bullet for my all round .338 win mag load. I do have experience with this bullets performance on Moose and Brown Bear. Like all Barnes bullets it exhibits a perfect mushroom when you recover one and penetrates to beat the band. I drove two of them lengthwise through a 9 foot brown bear as follow up shots for my buddy. I revovered one just under the hide of one ham, perfect petaled mushroom and penetrated full length of bear. I like them because the are not as long as other Barnes bullets and my particular rifle seems to like them better. They are not cheap though.

steveinAK, I think the MRX bullet is being or has been discontinued. If it shoots good in your rifle, you may want to stock up.

Double lung and I had plenty of room for follow-up shots. Why not?
    absolutely spot on there bnkwnto. Many years ago I used to have hunters shoot for bone(front shoulder) on first shot problem is if it is not perfect you have a wounded bear as there is nothing vital hit. First shot behind sholders through double lung, not an animal alive that will live with a double lung shot just might take a little time to die, 2nd shot, bones to break him down....

to the op I would try several quality bullets at different loads and shoot the one that shoots best out of your gun and I would not go too hot,dont want that bolt to stick , I am a barnes kind of guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    absolutely spot on there bnkwnto. Many years ago I used to have hunters shoot for bone(front shoulder) on first shot problem is if it is not perfect you have a wounded bear as there is nothing vital hit. First shot behind sholders through double lung, not an animal alive that will live with a double lung shot just might take a little time to die, 2nd shot, bones to break him down....

to the op I would try several quality bullets at different loads and shoot the one that shoots best out of your gun and I would not go too hot,dont want that bolt to stick , I am a barnes kind of guy...

It was my first brown bear and I just couldn't believe how tuff they are and how long they survive after multible lung shots. I can see why Joe Want always talks about shooting bears only when there is room for follow-up shots.

I have been shooting the original 250 grain Barnes X bullet since they first came out and still have about 300 of them. WW cases, Fed. 215 Lg. Rifle Mag. primers and RL 19. My chronograph read 2,630 fps mv out of the 23" barrel of my Mod. 70. The only time the bullet ever stayed in the animal was a tail bone shot on a bull moose at about 250 yards. I thought the person I was with had hit it on their shot and it was almost into the brush. Lucky shot and I doubt I could pull that shot off 1 out of 20 times. I also think the 210 or 225 grain X bullet would work fine on a brown bear and I will probably switch to one of those some day. I think the 225 grain X is probably the best all around choice in a .338 for every thing in Alaska.

Just curious, are you for some reason unsatisfied with you 225 grain Accubond load? I've been shooting that bullet in my 338 Mag since 07' and am extremely happy with it's accuracy & performance. Likely will never hunt brown bear but I would not hestiate to use it on one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast