Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its Time!

Default Its Time!

Pulled Mariah out of 3 feet of snow on sat. morning. Changed all the filters, all the fluids, treated the gas, checked all the electrical, pulled and greased the prop, washed 2/3's of the hull and waxed her, loaded the batteries, reinstalled the electronics, checked the wheel bearings, tire pressure, slip sticker for the harbor, greased everything else that needed it.....

Have 1/3rd of the bottom to do, the top to wax, shrimp pot puller to install, fish poles, shrimp pots, ....... and I am sure there is something else.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default did the same on saturday

myself. can't wait we are planning to hit the salt water on the 15th of this month. What did you treat the gas with? I treated mine in the fall but is there something to ad in the spring? Never had any trouble other years but... I still gotta clean my boat but did the motors and everything else. Just itchen to get out there and see what is going on.

Thumbs up

Just let me know when to be there Dave! I'm ready!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I squeezed mine in the garage, had to dissassemble the garage opener to get the door open further, put the top down and wiggle wiggle wiggle but its in there at an angle. Now I have a huge mess already installing all the new stuff but you have more done than I. I thought about dropping pots on the 15th but I'm not so sure I'll be ready aside from the fact my new kicker won't be in yet. I started looking into that sharkhide stuff and sent 3M an email inquiring if they have something equivalent. Sure wish I would have known about it 3 yrs ago. Anyone ever use the 3M Scotchguard Marine Liquid Wax?

I've been putting my boat in the water, every two weeks I'm off, most the winter. But, like you guys, the weather is just now getting nice enough to enjoy it.

This weekend...

I'm sure you aren't as far north as most of us. That water sure looks nice!

Default Waxes

I have tried several waxes. The wax on, wax off, in 30 degree weather never excited me so I looked elsewhere. Sitting in the house was a can of Mop and Glow. So I got a 6" painters pad and gave her a shot. Not only can I wax the entire boat in 15 minutes with a 5' paint handle, I don't have to rub it on or off. It dries clear.

Last year was the best year that I have had for negative slime build up. I only pulled it once to powerwash and she came really clean easily.

I will be ready by Sunday for sure.....

Default waxing aluminum boats

Dave,

Can I assume that waxing your hull helps prevent growth while in the slip? Any other benefit?

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Yes

It does help retard the growth esp. in the Valdez harbor. It also fills in the little pores in the aluminum and will decrease fuel consumption.

One year my top end slowed to about 21 mph. I pulled the boat, powerwashed it and was back up to 30 mph. A clean hull is certainly benificial.

Another friend went to Montague and I recieved a 9 pm call from his significant other that they had run out of fuel at Bligh Reef. They had enough fuel, for a clean hull, but ran out towing the 20 pounds of salad on the bottom.

Luckly for them a gentleman with an extra 30 gallon drum happened by and loaned it too them. I am not especially keen at running at night without radar.

Default thanks...

... Dave. I will have to try it on the new boat if it ever gets completed. How do you get around the trailer bunks or do you just forget that area?

I changed all the fluids and luded everything this past fall except for the prop which I will do here soon. Last night I loaded "Triple Threat" up with the gear.

How hard is it to change the fuel filter? Do I have to clamp any hoses off or just unscrew the filter and screw on the new one on.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile

Mop and glow huh? That is really interesting.

Dug mine out of the snow this past weekend and bought a new accessory battery. My Battery isolator went bad last year and in reading the owners manual for my engine (2005 Evinrude 250) it states do not use a battery isolator as the engine has a secondary charging system to charge the accessory battery. Just have to figure out how to hook it up.

I'm getting ready, but still a little work to do, bearings grease and such. I am starting to get excited!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Talking Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    ... Dave. I will have to try it on the new boat if it ever gets completed. How do you get around the trailer bunks or do you just forget that area?
    Have not figured out a way to get those areas. I don't think jacking it up a bit on one side would get me enough clearence. If I try jacking it up I will wait for better weather so that if it falls on me I will be warmer waiting for the ambulance and the rescue crew.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-03-2007 at 19:43. Reason: add

What about just removing the side bunks? Most of them will come off with a few (likely rusty) bolts.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Good Idea

Hey, good idea! One side at a time is possible. But I was underneith tonight and those bolts looked like tha ocean has had a ball with them. Maybe spray them tomorrow with penetrating oil and shoot for the weekend.

Good idea!

Got my boat out last week going to take it down this week to have swim platform stomp grate trim tabs and snad trap put in

Man, it is almost time to be on the water. I can hardly stand the suspense! I can't stop thinking about it!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Heading out again to dig the rest of my boat out. My next week off will be shrimping season can't wait.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default it's possible but...

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    What about just removing the side bunks? Most of them will come off with a few (likely rusty) bolts.
    ...would it be safe to try with a 10,000 + lb boat? I supppose I could up my life insurance policy an give it a shot.

Wink Poor mans boat lift...

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    ... How do you get around the trailer bunks or do you just forget that area?
    Find yourself some good blocking, right for carrying the weight of the hull.
    Crank trailer tongue jack way up. Set blocking securely under forward hull. Lower jack as hull settles on blocks, don't do anything stupid. Make it safe, use enough blocking.
    After waxing, simply run the jack back up so the bunks come against the hull, lifting boat off of blocks. Remove blocking.
    Then lower trailer jack way down. Block under the stern. As you raise the tongue jack, the stern will hit the blocks and soon lift off of the trailer.

I don't know how big your boat is, but done correctly, this will work on any size of boat.
    Bring your wax over and I'll get you started on your first lift and wax.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast