Thread: 2012 season and farewell to dad..

Default 2012 season and farewell to dad..

Well I am taking a break from skinning and letting the Raid settle in the garage so I thought I would write something up. As some of you know I lost my dad a few months ago and for some reason I am really missing him lately. I can see him tonight, sitting in the garage watching me, reminding me to make my cuts exact. Reminding me for the hundredth time to make sure and not to nick the glands of a mink. Studying my every move which used to drive me nuts but now wish he was here to get on my nerves. So long dad, you taught me well and I am very thankful for everythng you have done for me...

Lets see, this year my trapping partner little Kara decided she wanted to rake in some of the profit from our trapping so I decided that she could help a little more. We got a really late start this year due to the late and weak freeze up and we were also struck with more machine problems. Well I was struck with machine problems which included breaking a piston on our first day of setting. Took me 2 hours to get dug out and moving when I went to get my machine..

We had a good year on cats, not much more but they kept us busy. Not the best pic but thought the tracks walking up to the set was cool..

Here's a nice clear big tom that went 34#'s..

Here's Kara's first lynx that she caught all by herself. We call this the tree set and it produces multi's every year. Had to give her a little bit of a hard time getting a rear foot catch since it's been a few years since I had one. Might need Ted to give her a little lesson on blocking the trap,lol..

We had LOTS of cat sign this year including around the cabin..

Even had them shoving it in our face by catching a rabbit and leaving us a present under our gear..

Kusko- here's my gen shed. Heats up in 1/2 an hour on wood. Oh yeah, and we have satellite now to watch the games..

With trapping over for us we have time for a little fun..

Another year past..

Steve,

Very sorry for your loss. Looks like you had a wonderful season. Thanks very much for sharing!!

Very nice thread and pics. Real sorry about your Dad. I lost my Dad about 15 years ago. I know its hard. It feels like half a part of you is gone. Time will heal my friend. Just rest assured he is in a better place. He's probably out chasing critters in heaven. Loved the pics. That is great you are taking your daughters out. Looks like you are a great Dad too. Nice cabin too. What general area is it located? Unit 16?, 13?

sorry for your loss Steve....seems it's not till there gone that we really miss them no matter how much they get on our nerves......That really awesome your daughters are into trapping.....while most of the boys there age are playing video games they're out catchin critters...haha congrats

Man, Steve...I never grow weary of reading your stories and seeing those pictures. I know that Sara is going to be so excited to see Kara's success, though it'll have to wait until morning. Very, very well done to both you and the young trapper.

Wow, just fascinating stuff...thanks so much for posting. This summer will mark 20 years ago that I lost my Pops and it seems like last week. I extend my condolences but boy did your dad raise a fine son and I'm sure that your daughters gave him endless joy~

Sorry for your loss, I know what you are going through since I lost my dad on September 11, 2011. My dad never traped but we spent several thousand hours hunting and fishing together and being in the outdoors. Like your dad he come in the fur shed from time to time and told me what I needed to do. Seeing your post brought back some good memories of me and my dad, and put a few tears in my eyes. God bless you and your family and thanks for this post.

very sorry for your loss....
    i lost my father 3 days before my 4th birthday....
    its rough when you lose a loved one especialy a dad.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Sorry for the loss of your dad, Guess you can say he watches you from a bigger window, and I'm sure the memories will remain with you forever.... Thanks for sharing the trapping Pictures, I enjoyed them...

Chuck

Nice tribute to your Pops - great pics - well done!
    I always thought my Dad was a pain at times until I lost him 25 yrs ago - I still have times where I think "I should pick up the phone and call him"... Hard to appreciate what we have till its gone...
    May he RIP ....
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks guys, glad I could bring back some memories for some fo you.

Steve,

I haven't made it to trapping forum much, this post really moved me, the pic of your dad...tears in my eyes, thanks for sharing with all of us.