Thread: DM248 Larsen bay / karluk

Default DM248 Larsen bay / karluk

So I drew db 246 have never been to kodiak what should I expect on a spring hunt. I want to hear everything!

Sorry I think it is db246

bfeucht,

What kind of information are you looking for? Weather, a place to stay, or what? I haven't hunted 246 but have been just south of there in 247 more than once in the spring.

Randy

Mainly terrain, where are the bears? Must have as far as gear goes ext. I have hunted black bear in the spring spot and stalk, wondering if this I the same?

If you're anywhere near the Anchorage area this Saturday (25 Feb), I highly recommend attending the free SCI bear hunting seminar at the Denaina Convention Center. Joe Want, primary lecturer, is a master guide from Kodiak. You can probably talk to lots of folks there who've hunted Kodiak. Find more info at SCI Alaska website.

Terrain is what shows on the topo maps; bears are high or low; must have gear is a STORM PROOF tent, as weather can be nice or it can storm with 75mph winds for a few days. Also, take the best optics you can afford.

Visit your taxidermist before you leave for hide care tips.

Good luck.

bfeucht,

Where are you located? If you are in the Anchorage area, we can get together some time and I will let you know what I know about the area. One important thing to know about that area is the amount of native land. Land status maps are available online. Let me know if you need help locating them. Are you going alone? Are you camping out? The bears will be from the salt to the top of the mountains. As has been said on here many times, find a spot where you can see alot of country and watch.

Randy

I am here in anchorage my office above wild west guns. Stop by

bfeucht,

You don't have many posts so probably cannot do PM so send me an email at randyrex907@gmail.com and I will send you some information. I don't know when I can stop by because I have been on jury duty for 2 weeks and am running behind in everything at the moment.

Randy