Thread: Koyukuk moose trophy value destruction

Default Koyukuk moose trophy value destruction

I am trying to get info from anyone that has hunted or hunts this unit. 5 of 6 of my friends and I drew moose permits for the koyukuk. I being the only one that did not draw. What are the rules on destroying trophy value. Do you have to cut an antler in half or do you just have to split the skull plate. Any help would be appreciated

The antler is cut across the middle of the palm and thy keep the portion that is cut off - It is no longer a trophy!

Its been "cut the antler" for several years

As said they will take half of one of the palms. I bought these cut offs at the fur auction for crafts.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Lots of logistics with that many people, and that many moose (multiple boats). RR is spot on- you cut one palm in half. At the F&G check station they will measure your moose and take the piece, along with a tooth from the lower jaw.
    Stid, does that middle palm have your phone number on it or mine?!?!

Don't fret to much about it. F&G will give you detailed instruction when you check in for your hunt. Sounds like the makings of an epic trip with 5 trophy tags.

If your lucky, you can find the palm they cut off at the fur auction. Bid on it and if you win, have it reattached and mounted.. The trophy value is gone for Boone and crocket, but you may end up with a great trophy to hang on the wall.. Same works for musk ox.. I've done 1 or 2 the last couple years. (photograph) the part they cut off.

Something to think about..

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    Lots of logistics with that many people, and that many moose (multiple boats). RR is spot on- you cut one palm in half. At the F&G check station they will measure your moose and take the piece, along with a tooth from the lower jaw.
    Stid, does that middle palm have your phone number on it or mine?!?!
    I sent the middle palm to a guy doing a Grizzly mount with that palm sticking out like it was buried. I believe it was that one, they are in storage and not easy to get to in the cold.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    As said they will take half of one of the palms. I bought these cut offs at the fur auction for crafts.

What do these tops usually go for Steve? Just a rough est.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    What do these tops usually go for Steve? Just a rough est.
    They were selling them as lots,, I paid 200.00 for a bag that had 4 large ones and a few other pieces. I sold one for 50 dollars. As with any auction they go for what people there are willing to pay.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I am trying to get info from anyone that has hunted or hunts this unit. 5 of 6 of my friends and I drew moose permits for the koyukuk. I being the only one that did not draw. What are the rules on destroying trophy value. Do you have to cut an antler in half or do you just have to split the skull plate. Any help would be appreciated

I could have sworn someone had already said this, but I am not seeing it. Looking through the regs, it appears that the drawing permits (DM###) do not require trophy destruction. It is only the registration permits (RM###) that do. This could change with next year's regs though, so you definitly want to verify before heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I could have sworn someone had already said this, but I am not seeing it. Looking through the regs, it appears that the drawing permits (DM###) do not require trophy destruction. It is only the registration permits (RM###) that do. This could change with next year's regs though, so you definitly want to verify before heading out.
    He doesn't have a draw permit.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    He doesn't have a draw permit.

Okay, it just sounded like he did based on his OP ("5 of 6 of my friends and I drew moose permits...."). I didn't see anywhere where it was corrected that they had registration tags.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    They were selling them as lots,, I paid 200.00 for a bag that had 4 large ones and a few other pieces. I sold one for 50 dollars. As with any auction they go for what people there are willing to pay.
    What do you think the possibility would be of one being able to find his own top, say if he were to mark it some way? I've never been to one of these auctions so I'm just wondering. Are you able to (realistically) go through all the tops to find yours, or is this not happening?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    What do you think the possibility would be of one being able to find his own top, say if he were to mark it some way? I've never been to one of these auctions so I'm just wondering. Are you able to (realistically) go through all the tops to find yours, or is this not happening?
    Shoot a hole thru the tops of both paddles then it won't make any difference which one they take. Won't be much good for the crafters either so should be able to buy it cheap at the auction. Then get the holes patched up and paddle reattached.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    Shoot a hole thru the tops of both paddles then it won't make any difference which one they take. Won't be much good for the crafters either so should be able to buy it cheap at the auction. Then get the holes patched up and paddle reattached.
    Not a bad idea. You're required to cut the paddle in the field at the kill site, F&G doesn't care which one, just so long as it's at least half or more of the paddle that you're turning in. I do like the bullet hole idea.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    . 5 of 6 of my friends and I drew moose permits for the koyukuk. I being the only one that did not draw.

nuff said. that should help with your confusion.....

Release Lake Trout