Thread: DM634 Tanana Flats Cow

Default DM634 Tanana Flats Cow

Hello All,

I drew DM634 this year and am excited. I have hunted black bear in this area and seen a lot of moose but am looking for tips/advice for this hunt. The hunt is on the south side of the Tanana river opposite Fairbanks. I have hunted pretty far up the Salchaket before and seen a lot of moose, but that was in the spring time. This hunt is early (Aug 15-31) and I intend to be there on the first day. Have others hunted this area early and if so, what tips do you have for me?

Thanks,

Don

They issued 30 of those tags this year and we got two of them as well. We plan to get out there early and scout some large fields and run the river at first and last light. Lots of cows have been taken right along the river banks, especially along Salchaket. With the limited pressure that will be along the river during August, the moose won't have been pushed too far inland.

We have a new area in mind that we plan to hunt in the future, so we are going to do some scouting and trail building as well in late August. Our group drew two of the any bull tags, so we should really be able to help thin the herd a little this year.

Jerod,

Thanks for the info and good luck on the scouting! My plan is similar. I know of a couple of open fields that I would like to sit and watch at first and last light. Of course, I would prefer to shoot a cow right on the bank because it would be so easy to field dress and pack out right into a boat. While that might be possible, I think it is beyond my kind of luck for that to happen. If there were a way to increase my odds of catching one along the bank, I would love to know how to hedge my bets. Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to get a cow in that area, or in your case, finding "any bull" shouldn't be difficult in my limited experience of that area. Again, thanks for the replies. Does anyone else have words of wisdom for me?