Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMA Sheep hunt which gun would you take?

Default TMA Sheep hunt which gun would you take?

I am assembling my gear for TMA sheep hunt in August and thought I would get some help deciding which rifle to bring.

I have a Kimber Montana .308 w/ Leupold VXII 3-9 that weighs 6 lbs 2oz and a Kimber Montana .300 WSM w/ Leupold VX3 LR 4.5-14 LR that weighs 7 lbs 3oz. Obviously the .308 is lighter by 17 oz however, the .300 has superior ballistics with; 6.8”of drop at 300 yds vs. 9.18”, energy at 2,285 lbs vs. 1,763, and wind drift at 10 mph/300yds at 5.9” vs 6.9”.

Any thoughts, which would you take?

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    I am assembling my gear for TMA sheep hunt in August and thought I would get some help deciding which rifle to bring.

I have a Kimber Montana .308 w/ Leupold VXII 3-9 that weighs 6 lbs 2oz and a Kimber Montana .300 WSM w/ Leupold VX3 LR 4.5-14 LR that weighs 7 lbs 3oz. Obviously the .308 is lighter by 17 oz however, the .300 has superior ballistics with; 6.8”of drop at 300 yds vs. 9.18”, energy at 2,285 lbs vs. 1,763, and wind drift at 10 mph/300yds at 5.9” vs 6.9”.

Any thoughts, which would you take?
    How far do you realistically plan to shoot?

Congrat's on drawing the tag.

Which gun is more comfortable for you to shoot? Only you can answer this question!
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Which gun would you want to take if your shot was worth $10,000.00??? the most comfort is not always the best shooter, I like higher power scopes, they just seem to work best for me, I even shoot a 36 power in some situations, variable scopes are good. With the correct bullet the recoil should be no problem and the ballistics will do the job on the animal, Select the best bullet for the caliber and velocity. If you reload, shot a lot before leaving get the load that does the job. If you do not reload shoot a lot to get the loaded ammo that does the job. Good Luck, and have fun.

Default Choices..

If your hunt goes like my TMA hunt in 2007 you could just take a snubnose pistol. 25 feet! But I was dialed in for 500 yards with my .270WSM. I agree with above... take the gun your most comfortable and consistant with and have a great time! The sheep just walk right up to you and after you shoot, they run toward camp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I hunted DCUA two years ago with almost the exact same set up that you have (Kimber .300wsm mounted with 3.5-10 VX-3). I shot my ram at approx. 250 yards and he dropped where he stood. If you feel that you can be just as accurate with the .308 I would take it and save yourself 17 oz. In my case I don't think that my .300wsm killed him any faster/better than what a .308 could have done. Congrats on the tag of a life time.

I carried my 9.25 pound Ruger 300 WM with leupold 3x9. Partner carried his 7.5 pound Kimber 300 WM. I am very comfortable with my rifle and didn't mind the extra weight hanging in my Kifaru gun bearer.

I'd take swap the scopes and take the 300 WSM. But really, just take the one you feel most comfortable shooting. Confidence in the shot will make the difference.

I was thinking almost the same thing as Yankee. Put the lighter weight 3-9 on which ever rifle you are more comfortable with, get some practice at the range and hit the hills.

Just my opinion but the truth of the matter is you have what is an extremely rare tag to get, I would absolutely take whatever gun YOU shoot best period, they are both capable guns,17 ounces in a gun dont mean squat if the gun shoots better for you and it helps you harvest a sheep of a lifetime.. you may have to take a longer shot so practice, practice, practice and shoot ammo you are going to hunt with. I know this sounds obvious but I have had more then one sheep hunter show up at camp with premimum ammo for the hunt but he never shot it because he had less expensive ammo to practice with.

I wish I had a problem like yours!! Two Kimber Montanas....haha, classic!!! How many rounds are through em? I would take my old faithful or get really serious and hit the range with the other one. Good luck either way
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Take the 300 WSM, have a great hunt, and share the story and photos!

Quote Originally Posted by HILL View Post
    I wish I had a problem like yours!! Two Kimber Montanas....haha, classic!!! How many rounds are through em? I would take my old faithful or get really serious and hit the range with the other one. Good luck either way
    Yeah, I know I bought the 308 when I lived in SE AK to hunt deer and when I moved to Kodiak I wanted a little more fire power as I am always hunting around the brownies. I loved my little Kimberly .308 so much I broke down and bought another and it shots just as well.

Split the difference and buy an 84L 30-06 then top it with a VXII with CDL turret.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Split the difference and buy an 84L 30-06 then top it with a VXII with CDL turret.
    Great idea I have been looking for an excuse to buy a new gun maybe that .280 AI I have had on my wish list.

Take the 300 WSM there are a lot of grizzly in there.

Well you can't go wrong with either as others have said, however, 17 oz is negligible weight for the benefits IMO
    I am going on my first sheep hunt also in Aug and as it is most likely once in a life time for me I'll take what will give me the most chances.
    I am sure there are instances when a pocket knife would do then there is always the 400 yard shot

So, if I were you, .300WSM,, just for example the last two elk I gotten, one was at 455 yards the next one was at 15 yards(shoulda had my bow)

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    Great idea I have been looking for an excuse to buy a new gun maybe that .280 AI I have had on my wish list.
    Not a bad plan! In fact I like it enough I think I am going to try and drag my 84L 280AI out to the range and put a round or three through it this weekend.

Set-up 2 targets and shoot each at 200 & 300yds,,maybe even 400yds. Take the rifle that is the most consistent. Most sheep are killed at 150 to 250 yds in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Good Idea...Sell the two and get an 84L 30-06...that's what you really need! I'll put in a "reasonable" offer for the .308!! haha...I say take one and worry about more about everything else on a sheep hunt, like weather, terrain, weather, and terrain! At least you have an awesome rifle to take with you!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast