Thread: MOOSE HUNT DIY- How and where?

Default MOOSE HUNT DIY- How and where?

Looking to fly up and do a moose hunt on my own. I have hunted in Washington and Colorado and gotten elk, sheep, mules/blacktail,cougar. My outdoor skills are great, and I'm in great shape. BUT I have no clue where to start with Alaska. I want to bag a bull Moose, and Camp myself, and just have a float plane drop me off. Looking to Rifle or Bowhunt, can do both very well. (Might stick to Rifle my first time hunting moose up there, to make things easier). What I need to know is Where to hunt,Whats the best dates to usually have a good sucess on bagging a Moose? Can I just purchase the Lic/tag when I get up there to a town, before I float plane out to the site? I can bring the my gear at a good weight limit and surive quite well, to save money from renting gear. What advice Does anyone Have Please. Best, Ron

Throw a dart at a map.

Other than that, I'd just suggest searching on here, there's plenty of info already discussed.

Though Ducks' answer might have seemed a little harsh, what he's getting at is that it is a huge state and the question of "where should I hunt moose" doesn't have an easy answer. When people have a good spot dialed in, the reality is that they're not likely to share it on a public forum. That being said, as Ducks mentioned, you can find a ton of information on here if you spend a few weeks reading. Look at hunt reports from the last four years, call the transporters that people suggest, etc.

You may also want to seriously consider talking to a hunt planner. The owner of this website, Michael Strahan, helps people through the process of planning their first Alaska hunts. I know he doesn't charge people for just a simple chat on the phone - it couldn't hurt to at least start there.

Also, read this thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lanning-Primer

If you are planning on a float hunt or a fly in, Google those types of businesses in AK. Then you can come back here and search that company (bout 99% certain all of them have been mentioed on this forum.) call the businesses you want and see where they operate out of and what the weight limits are and even if they are available. OR, like Brian said, contact Strahan
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Throw a dart at a map.

Other than that, I'd just suggest searching on here, there's plenty of info already discussed.

+1---that's not a bad way to decide where to hunt...chances are you won't hit a town, and there are moose pretty much all over the state. Have you read the game regs yet? If you're already set on a fly out, then that gives you 10x more area to choose from. Obviously, read the game regs, that will trim down a large portion of the state for you due to restricted areas. Have you read the regs twice? There is a lot of info that many people pass right over in there! Have you read them three times? You should probably have your fly out booked here in the next few months...mid-April at the latest. Did you read the regs for the fourth time?

Hint: Ensure you read the game regs before even booking a hunt, hell, I regularly call F&G and ask stupid questions.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Quote Originally Posted by captainronjr View Post
    Looking to fly up and do a moose hunt on my own. I have hunted in Washington and Colorado and gotten elk, sheep, mules/blacktail,cougar. My outdoor skills are great, and I'm in great shape. BUT I have no clue where to start with Alaska. I want to bag a bull Moose, and Camp myself, and just have a float plane drop me off. Looking to Rifle or Bowhunt, can do both very well. (Might stick to Rifle my first time hunting moose up there, to make things easier). What I need to know is Where to hunt,Whats the best dates to usually have a good sucess on bagging a Moose? Can I just purchase the Lic/tag when I get up there to a town, before I float plane out to the site? I can bring the my gear at a good weight limit and surive quite well, to save money from renting gear. What advice Does anyone Have Please. Best, Ron

Captain Ron,

I was thinkin about doin an elk hunt in WA, where should I go? I've shot a lot of game in AK and....now do you see where Ducks is comin from? Searches are your friend

Thank you guys for the Advice. Hill- If you did write "Where should I hunt in Washington for Elk". I would reply with, " If you want beautiful Roosevelt Elk, start looking around the Montesano Area, I got mine south of there. If you looking for Rocky Mountain my buddy got a huge 6X6 in Snoqualmie Area south of Rim Rock". Thats how I would have replied. Of course Im not looking for excate areas. Just what you locals Recommended for me to start looking. I don't come to someone else's state with out asking first. But thank you for the Advice - Brian and Grizzly Man and Hill. I will start the planning.

As was said, since you are looking to fly out, the world is your oyster. If you are in one of a million remote areas in Alaska, Moose are not hard to find, hunt, or kill, just hard to pack out. Essentially, there is no "best" area, but there are a metric ton of "good" places to go. So, all the areas I know, you can't hunt as a non-res, however, in several threads on top of the hunting forum right now there is talk of the Koyukuk River being rather productive, or......pretty much anywhere you want to spend 2-3k for a flyout. Do the searches, pick an area, call the outfitter/pilots, drop the coin, wait a few months, shoot a moose.

Definitely read the regs, but don't be daunted by them, they are still written in english (not sure why everyone makes this seem like such a big deal). You don't have to understand the whole state, just the area you wish to hunt.

As far as dates, go the last week allowed by the season in the area you are going. Usually after Sept. 8-10 (in my home area) they are coming to the call and they will come from a loooong ways away if the conditions are right. Makes you feel like genius compared to standing in a swamp in August, swatting bugs, praying for one to step out. Also, meat care is much easier and it's still technically pre-rut so the meat is just fine....had lots of fat on every one that I've shot in mid September.

Thank you guys for the Advice. Hill- If you did write "Where should I hunt in Washington for Elk". I would reply with, " If you want beautiful Roosevelt Elk, start looking around the Montesano Area, I got mine south of there. If you looking for Rocky Mountain my buddy got a huge 6X6 in Snoqualmie Area south of Rim Rock". Thats how I would have replied. Of course Im not looking for excate areas. Just what you locals Recommended for me to start looking. I don't come to someone else's state with out asking first. But thank you for the Advice - Brian and Grizzly Man and Hill. I will start the planning.
    Things are not that simple, Alaska is HUGE, and it lacks roads, meaning access is very limited. Aquire a Alaska Gazeteer and a copy of the hunting regulations, keep in mind that the regulations run from July1 to June 30 of the following year ie, a regulatory year NOT calender year- that means that if you read the regs now that as of July 1 you will need to get a new copy and reread them, as some things WILL change.

This http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=home.main will be helpful and much research can be had there.

I also recommend you give serious consideration to having a hunting partner, Alaska is not a cake walk and a moose is a huge animal making for a great deal of work to field dress, pack and hang, if nothing else for safety sake. A moose can be done by 1 person, many have done so including myself, but a second person is a great asset for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I also recommend you give serious consideration to having a hunting partner, Alaska is not a cake walk and a moose is a huge animal making for a great deal of work to field dress, pack and hang, if nothing else for safety sake. A moose can be done by 1 person, many have done so including myself, but a second person is a great asset for sure.
    Shucks, if he's as good as he advertises....he'll be fine! But seriously, I solo'd my first two....and I weighed 165 at 5'10". I hunt alone a lot, and enjoy the quiet and the freedom, so I get that. Not to mention, if he plans on going alone, no one can pull out at the last second, making him start scrambling for partners. That said, Moose hunting is one of the few things that you truly cannot shoot first and figure out retrieval plan later.....DON"T PULL A RUMSFELD.....have an exit strategy.

Start in Fairbanks (Fairbanks is a little city) and then go north or south or east or west. Heck, you can even find them in Fairbanks. Best for you to check the legal moose requirements for NR though.

I would suggest you read the regulations and the moose management report. One of those documents will help put the put the other document into context.

What I need to know is Where to hunt,
    Ans: Read the Moose management report! That document has a lot of good information in it. Browse the forum. There are many subforums in hunting.

Whats the best dates to usually have a good sucess on bagging a Moose?
    Ans: I prefer to hunt later in September when the bugs and leaves have been knocked down a bit.

Can I just purchase the Lic/tag when I get up there to a town, before I float plane out to the site?
    Ans: Depends on the town. I think you can buy license & tags on-line and would do so ... so as to avoid the local shop running out of tags).

Default Alaska Hunt Planning Tips

Ron,

There was a time when almost all of us were in the place where you are right now. So you're in good company. But there are some things you need to know about this place (Alaska) and our people.

Alaska is twice the size of Texas, with a road system about the size of Hawaii. It's not an easy question to answer, and it is further complicated by the fact that many people are here looking for the same thing. It doesn't in any way compare to Washington state or anywhere else. One reason is because despite the fact that we have the largest variety of big-game animals in the country, we also have the lowest density of game animals per square mile. There's a lot of real estate out there without a living big-game animal on it for much or all of a given year. This means that our animals are typically located in somewhat limited geographic areas, and the really good hunting represents only a relatively small piece of those areas. It's further complicated by difficulty of access. Though our road system is limited, our river system is not. We have somewhere around 365,000 miles of rivers, much of which can be floated in a raft. So our rivers are our roads. But, as I mentioned, game is located in pockets here and there. Some of those pockets have rivers running through them, and where the river and the habitat intersect, well, that's where the magic happens.

Getting the folks here to provide that information, which they often acquired at great expense in time, money, and effort, to a stranger is, well... it's probably not going to happen.

Thankfully, the resources that we all used to acquire this knowledge are also available to you. The suggestion to search our forums was excellent. But I don't know that I would start there. If I was brand-new at this, I would probably grab a few books and educate myself a bit. Sort of give myself a basis for some really good questions. Not to sell you something (well... maybe just a little bit), we have the largest online collection of books and DVDs specifically catering to the Alaska outdoorsman right here on this site. In fact, we have even organized categories in the store for people in your situation. I would take a look at our Hunt Planning Library for starters.

I would also encourage you to have a look at our Hunt Planning Pages, located outside the forums. If you spend some time reading that information and following the plans outlined there, you're going to be in much better shape. And you'll have some excellent questions that people will be happy to answer (hopefully without the sarcasm)! When you visit the Hunt Planning Pages, be sure to note the related pages listed in the menus on the left-hand side of the page. There is a ton of information in there, which will move you a long ways down the path to getting this plan together.

If you dive into this and end up over your head (as many do), you are of course welcome to contact me concerning our Consultation Service. We help people put their hunts together. Yes, we charge for it, but I can guarantee that you will save more than the cost of the planning service by making fewer mistakes, and having to take fewer dry runs before you connect with game.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Though Ducks' answer might have seemed a little harsh, what he's getting at is that it is a huge state and the question of "where should I hunt moose" doesn't have an easy answer. When people have a good spot dialed in, the reality is that they're not likely to share it on a public forum. That being said, as Ducks mentioned, you can find a ton of information on here if you spend a few weeks reading. Look at hunt reports from the last four years, call the transporters that people suggest, etc.

You may also want to seriously consider talking to a hunt planner. The owner of this website, Michael Strahan, helps people through the process of planning their first Alaska hunts. I know he doesn't charge people for just a simple chat on the phone - it couldn't hurt to at least start there.

Also, read this thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lanning-Primer

Yep. I really wasn't trying to be rude, just saying its huge, and if you're willing to go anywhere for the hunt, and you aren't limited by a partner's opinions, you could literally throw a dart at a map and I bet you'd be relatively close to excellent hunting. Spend some time reading like others have suggested, and you'll learn tons. I'd say in a few weeks you could have your entire trip planned - then the waiting starts!

Book a Drop Hunt with Joe at Sportsman's Air Service (on the web) he does DIY drop hunts out of the Galena area with a high kill rate. They cost about 7 grand but I can say you would be way better off booking it than trying to cobble together a hunt and ship up all your gear. I'm not saying you cant do it all yourself, but the problem you will run into with an normal airtaxi is they dont have a good hunting area or they take alot of hunters in. Joe does a good job. It is a drawing only hunt so you couldnt go this year.

captain,

read this book:
    Hunt Alaska Now; Self-Guiding for Trophy Moose and Caribou: How to Plan Affordable, Successful Hunts You Do Yourself by Dennis Confer

Your fly out service is going to have a good bit of info for you as well. Like it was suggested earlier, a partner would be a good idea...I don't know how I woulda dealt w/my moose (not a trophy, a fork horn) last year w/out my buddy! What's your budget like? Did you do your elk hunts yourself?

When you throw that dart, make sure it does not land in Unit 13 or Unit 20. If it does just pull it back out and throw it again.

As a NR you will need to have put in for a drawing last year in the majority of those units. In unit 13 there are no NR tags for caribou, and only a few NR drawing tags for moose.

Unit 20 is the same for the most part, but there are some small areas open to NR OTC hunting. How to figure that out was recently posted as a reply to one of the threads started by "Dakota boy" from a few days ago.

Units 13, 16, and 20 are the Alaska Super Markets, and the state sets up hunting in them with priority to residents. Plus they are just too easy to access and no NR would enjoy that kind of meat hunting.

Thanks Guys for all the Info. My wife and I are about to have our first Daughter.(hell of excited). So that's why I'm just throwing this moose hunt together, before my wife and daughter use all our money left in the bank account. haha. Plus I want to get one more hunt in before I do the whole dad roll. I was trying to do the hunt on a cheap budget (As cheap as possible, but with the best chances if that is an option). And I do have buddies that would go, but I don't want to rely to heavily on them and then have my trip be a no go. For a wilderness experience I used to be a Para Ordnance. But your right, I only weigh 190 so hauling the moose out is going to be a major obstacle. (any suggestions on the moose meat hauling). No worries duck and dog its cool, I been fishing a few times up there, but never hunted.

Thanks Guys for all the Info. My wife and I are about to have our first Daughter.(hell of excited). So that's why I'm just throwing this moose hunt together, before my wife and daughter use all our money left in the bank account. haha. Plus I want to get one more hunt in before I do the whole dad roll. I was trying to do the hunt on a cheap budget (As cheap as possible, but with the best chances if that is an option). And I do have buddies that would go, but I don't want to rely to heavily on them and then have my trip be a no go. For a wilderness experience I used to be a Para Ordnance. But your right, I only weigh 190 so hauling the moose out is going to be a major obstacle. (any suggestions on the moose meat hauling). No worries duck and dog its cool, I been fishing a few times up there, but never hunted.
    If it were me, I'd rent a Uhaul ... rent an ATV and all the other gear take donations as offered. Then set out on a trail. do some camping and maybe find a critter. Or do a fly out and rafting trip.

Or contact DonV or others with similar status/desires. He wants to hunt solo also. Perhaps ask him or other Alaska Newbs if they desire to pool their knowledge and resources.

When I envision cheap, that would put you in direct competition with the rest of us that are cheap. Best success would equate to better hunting spots that have accessibility issues (Airboats, planes, jetboats, ATV's, horses). Combine the cheap and better success with ambition and a bit of luck...

Whats you gear status? I have a difficult time thinking "cheap" unless you've pinned down the gear that you need, where you buy/rent it, if cost and availability, and so forth. If you want to go on the cheap and just take pictures, I'd recommend Kinkaid Park or the Powerline (above Anchorage) in late September. May not sound as cool as pulling the trigger on a hunting a big moose, but you're wife would be able to participate.

Find a reputable flight service that has been in buss a long time with a good track record of producing results for their customers and that fits your budget(rates vary greatly). Book with them and then they will be alot more open with you. They dont share their specific info with everyone who calls just to inquire. Once you have made a commitment with them, specifics can be discussed. They take ppl to the same areas year after year for a reason......They produce! They want happy customers! The ones that put a bunch of ppl in one spot the same year are the ones to steer clear of. The how and where isnt nearly as difficult as what your going to be up against when you walk up to 1600lb dead moose all by your lonesome. You have a huge obligation to fullfil once the trigger is pulled. Not impossible but literally a ton of work to take on alone.