Thread: Boat Surveyor???

Default Boat Surveyor???

Hello, I am currently in the market for buying a boat and was wondering if anybody new of a good boat surveyor to go with? I am really not sure how it works with getting a surveyor as this will be my first boat purchase. Do you normally have to have the boat brought to them or will they go to the boat. As i have been looking for boats i have found some good prospects but there all over the state so that is why i was wondering that? Any suggestions that you all may have would be greatly appreciated, thank you and have a nice day

This question has come up many times. I have not personally used Mike Madar, but have heard fantastic things about him. What boat are you looking at?

Madar Marine Markets
    1270 Woodstock Dr.
    Palmer, AK 99645
    Ph: (907) 746-6667
    Fax: (907) 746-6669
    Cell: (907) 250-5727
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The big question is where is the boat at that you want surveyed? If it is in Seattle, Juneau or somewhere other than Anchorage you are probably better off finding a local surveyor where the boat is at. Usually a surveyor will come to where the boat is. I haven't used one in a good number of years, it is a good question to ask.

The boat is located in seward and it is an osprey. There are other boats as well that have caught my eye that are located in the kenia pen as well. Its just being a first time buyer I am alittle nervous about buying a boat with out an inspection. Just trying to wait for the snow to melt so i can get the ball rolling. I am pretty excited about this as i have been waiting for awhile and have finally got the approval from the wife

Matthew Jones who resides in Seward might be of assistance for you; his business name is "Resurrection Technologies" & contact # is 362-2927.

heard good things about Madar too....Pretty much any banks is gonna require the boat surveyed or appraised depending on boat & price...ask the owner if he has a current survey, might save you some $$ if it's not too old.....most surveyors don't do engine checkout's so you'll still need to find someone to do that if you want to know much about the mechanical side of the engine & outdrives.

When I bought my boat last year, the boat broker had Tom Cocklin from Kasilof do the survey. I thought the survey was good, but the boat was essentially new (115 hrs total). His number is 907-285-5349.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I am headed into our 5th season out of Seward now and while I don't have every base covered, I can point you to a few options in Seward for surveys, engine check "as mentioned" and storage if needed.

If in town, see Ben at Silver Streak.

PM if interested.
    Tony

Thanks everyone for your help i am definetly going to check into the people that have been mentioned here and who knows hopefully i will be on the water here soon.

Ben at silver streak boats in anchorage.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I had Madar do mine in November. He'll come and do a fair market appraisal and was good to work with at
    a fair price.

Folks have been quick to jump in with recommendations for specific surveyors, but nobody has clarified with the OP whether he's truly seeking a full-on hull survey, complete with written report, or whether what he really wants is a professional's input and advice on several different prospective purchases.

In a purchase situation, the buyer would not normally order a survey until after a deal was made, with a clause that make the purchase subject to completion and buyer's acceptance of a survey. Much like a home inspection in a real estate deal, if the survey turned up needed repairs or other issues, the buyer would have the option of backing out of the deal, or negotiating a price adjustment with the seller.

I paid $400 last year to have my 27' cabin cruiser surveyed on the trailer in Anchorage, and just paid $585 in Seattle for a hull survey of the 39' Universal trawler I recently purchased. Both were excellent investments, but still serious enough money that I wouldn't want to survey a boat I was only mildly interested in, FWIW.

Yep, think ya closed appropriately w/ your 2 cents "FWIW"!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKL View Post
    Folks have been quick to jump in with recommendations for specific surveyors, but nobody has clarified with the OP whether he's truly seeking a full-on hull survey, complete with written report, or whether what he really wants is a professional's input and advice on several different prospective purchases.

In a purchase situation, the buyer would not normally order a survey until after a deal was made, with a clause that make the purchase subject to completion and buyer's acceptance of a survey. Much like a home inspection in a real estate deal, if the survey turned up needed repairs or other issues, the buyer would have the option of backing out of the deal, or negotiating a price adjustment with the seller.

I paid $400 last year to have my 27' cabin cruiser surveyed on the trailer in Anchorage, and just paid $585 in Seattle for a hull survey of the 39' Universal trawler I recently purchased. Both were excellent investments, but still serious enough money that I wouldn't want to survey a boat I was only mildly interested in, FWIW.

SteveKl, in regards to the surveyor i was just curous as to a good surveyor. as you stated that it was like getting a survey for a home purchase, there are good and bad surveyors out there and that was my concern. When making a purchase l like to be certian that im not getting into something that will be a dissaster especially when I will have my family and friends out on water.

Then Ben a silver streak is your guy.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Yep, think ya closed appropriately w/ your 2 cents "FWIW"!

Kidless, I was hoping to give the OP an idea of the dollar investment involved in obtaining a survey. He mentioned "The boat is located in seward and it is an osprey. There are other boats as well that have caught my eye that are located in the kenia pen as well" which led me to think he might be considering getting a survey on each of these prospective purchases before making a decision.

If a survey cost $50, getting one on every boat you may wish to consider could be cheap insurance. At $400 a pop it's a different story. That's all...

~Steve