Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside Passage

Default Inside Passage

One of the members asked for an inside passage sticky, so here it is.

For discussing traveling the inside the passage.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default July 2003 Log

Attached is my log and story of our trip sailing the 30' Halibut Grove Almar Sounder home to Valdez. I had to delete the photos to reduce the file size so it would post. Some helpful info for those that may be doing the same. Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Great paper. Post your pics on "photobucket" and link it here. Thanks for sharing

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Man, that sounds like an awesome trip with excelent #s. Just wish those dam diesel engines didnt cost so much more that the optimax..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Attached is my log and story of our trip sailing the 30' Halibut Grove Almar Sounder home to Valdez. I had to delete the photos to reduce the file size so it would post. Some helpful info for those that may be doing the same. Enjoy.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

There was some discussion of hot springs on the way up, so I thought I would share this one... Bishop Bay, Monkey Beach, BC. It was worthy of a stop.

IMG_1495.JPG

Check out the Canada Parks site here... http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...ey_beach_cons/

It's just north of Butedale, a little out of the way, but it's a really cool stop. The dock has a sign (I didn't notice on the approach), that limits it to 30' boats. The dude ahead of me had this really concerned look on his face, as I hung my bow and anchor (44') over his boat. We retreated and set the anchor; launched a dinghy. All good.

IMG_1512.JPG
    I wonder how many crew the Northwestern and Cornelia Marie landed to soak in the springs? I'm sure it would have been quite the scene.

Hope you get a chance to visit.

Here's a link to SE Alaska cruising pics from summer 2011:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1090582...91035644778018

Choose Full Screen and then hit F11 for best viewing
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Default Seattle to Valdez on POGNIP

After a massive shopping spree for supplies and groceries, we finally left Seattle on the vessel POGNIP heading north to Valdez. Pognip is a 32' North River Seahawk OS powered with twin FNM HPEP 250 diesels. We departed Seaview West harbor at 2:40 and arrived in Friday Harbor at 6:55pm. Fuel dock is closed so we had dinner at the Blue water bar and grill and spending the night on the boat in the harbor waiting for the fuel dock to open. Sea's were a little rough with 25-30mph head wind out of Seattle to Deception Pass. Before passing through the pass we noticed a lot of boats waiting for slack tide. Figured they were waiting for slack tide. The current was ripping pretty hard 8-10mph but wasn't a problem. The fun began once we passed through Deception. The Rosaro straights were quite nasty. 6-8'ers steep and deep with some 25-35mph winds. Made only 8-10mph threw that lovely stuff. The boat handled the seas great! Made it to Friday Harbor just before seven so decided to have dinner and spend the night with Captain Morgan. Plan to get an early start and head to Shearwater tomorrow. If there's internet access I'll post another update tomorrow evening.

Cheers from Friday Habor

Seattle Harbor

Friday Harbor

Wow! Thanks for posting and please keep us updated. Knowing what you know now, would you have waited for slack tide?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Wow! Thanks for posting and please keep us updated. Knowing what you know now, would you have waited for slack tide?
    No need to wait for slack tides w a high speed planing hull. Other then effecting your speed the currents aren't noticeable. Pulled into Petersburg at 6pm. Haven't had wifi since Friday habor so it's tough to update via the phone. Traveled 928 miles so far since leaving with 36.8 hrs of engine time Finally drop some shrimp pots when we hit AK yesterday and caught a few shrimp. Heading for chatum straight tomorrow and plan to take our time fishing a shrimping. Gulf crossing appears to be better later in the week so we're in no hurry to hit the gulf yet.

Hg,

How many people are along for your trip up? Is the boat owner on board with you are are you transporting it for him? Are you going to do the gulf crossing nonstop or hit Yakatat for fuel?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Hg,

How many people are along for your trip up? Is the boat owner on board with you are are you transporting it for him? Are you going to do the gulf crossing nonstop or hit Yakatat for fuel?
    The owner and his friend "the cook" are on board. We plan to go to yakutat then cross Wx permiting. It doesn't look like the greatest Wx at the moment. Arrived in Junuea at 4:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    The owner and his friend "the cook" are on board. We plan to go to yakutat then cross Wx permiting. It doesn't look like the greatest Wx at the moment. Arrived in Junuea at 4:30.
    Here's a couple shots of the Garmin system.

The boat has the NEMA2000 capable flowscan fuel log and ties into the garmin. The total fuel usage has been with just a couple gallons from actual fuel added at the pump and some difference is a result of running the wallace stove. Just over 1000 miles total to Juneau and just over 500gals purchased. Another 500 or so and we'll be home in Valdez.

Awesome Traveling there you guys,....and nice looking machinery down below

Post more pics if you can,.....

I'm on the same trip, goin a little further to Kodiak,...but you guys Blew By Me, somewhere along the way

that's the fastest I've done, ( actually hit 13.4 knts once,...!!) and with about 5 knots current push,
    and that was within a few minutes of Slack tide, (heh, heh)

tho I am burning less than 2gph, traveling around 8knots,....and doin' as much relaxin' as I can

Did you guys do the main Passages, Georgia, Johnstone, etc. or the Inside way?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiFly View Post
    There was some discussion of hot springs on the way up, so I thought I would share this one... Bishop Bay, Monkey Beach, BC. It was worthy of a stop.

Check out the Canada Parks site here... http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...ey_beach_cons/

It's just north of Butedale, a little out of the way, but it's a really cool stop. The dock has a sign (I didn't notice on the approach), that limits it to 30' boats. The dude ahead of me had this really concerned look on his face, as I hung my bow and anchor (44') over his boat. We retreated and set the anchor; launched a dinghy. All good.

Hope you get a chance to visit.

KenaiFly, I gotta Thank Ya, for the scoop,....

I found this place, and never would have heard of it except for this post

Found the little dock Uncrowded, tho I didn't see the sign either, til my 36fter was tied up, not a stress item in May tho

Was a super cool stop, really nice bath, and I was alone in there, three other old timers were just leaving when I pulled in
    One of the Nicest Hot Springs Baths I've ever been to, really well maintained by the locals I hear

Just a Great move, tho a little out of the way

I also read about it recently in a book by Joe Upton, one of the, "Great Writers," about the Inside Passage boat travels
    his book, "Alaska Blues," is a Classic every SE boat guy should read

and recently he put out another, title is something like Travels through the Inside Passage,....and he mentions finding Bishop Bay Hot Springs, way back in the 70's on a tip from an old fisherman, traveled in there off his charts,...gettin nervous, etc. then he saw the float way at the end of the bay
    Was a cool thing to read, knowing it was on my list

from your recommendation here,...I pushed on up there, Well Worth It,
    then traveled on around rather than back tracking,....can't remember the name of that area but if you are considering it on your chart, you'll see it,

my recommendation,.."Go On, Up and Around, after your Hot Springs Soak, pretty exotic scenery back in there
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Koidakrain,

Sorry we missed you! Would have been cool to meet up. We left Juneau Monday afternoon and killed time waiting to see if the wx was going to improve in the Gulf. Went into Glacier Bay NP and spent the day yesterday exploring the area, shrimping, ect. Got some nice photo opportunities of a grizzly and a black bear. Spent the nite in Elfin Cove last night and was hoping the seas would be good to Yakutat. Left Elfin at 5am and ran into 7-8's out of the west and was only making 10kts. It didn't take long for the cook to turn green and it didn't sound like it was getting any better up ahead so the owner decide to head back to Juneau and leave the boat there and wait for better wx for crossing. We left Pogonip in good hands with a friend, along with the keys and told him to enjoy her until we returned and flew out at 12:45. Hopefully we get some better seas soon and we'll go down to finish the trip.

Here's a couple shot of the bears in Glacier Bay.

Let us know how the crossing goes. Great pics HG!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

KodiakRain,

Are you planning on coming into PWS, Cordova or Seward on your way to Kodiak, or are you planning on staying off shore? If so, do you know when you would be passing through?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    KenaiFly, I gotta Thank Ya, for the scoop,....

I found this place, and never would have heard of it except for this post

my recommendation,.."Go On, Up and Around, after your Hot Springs Soak, pretty exotic scenery back in there
    Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. I liked going " Up and Around" too. It is great scenery. Let me know if you head into Seward along the way.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast