Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you hunting with this year?

Default What are you hunting with this year?

And have you been out shooting at all? I figured I would start this thread to see what everyone else is planning to use this year for hunting, whether it be something old and reliable or something new and exciting. Plus, spring bear hunting is getting close.

I've been bunny hunting with an old Marlin 99 that a friend gave me for fixing a dresser; stock was cracked, so I just gave 'er a few wraps with some electrical tape, good as new For bear and moose, I'll be packing the same old Remington 760 I've had since I was 13 and bought it out of the ADN classifieds. Best $125 I ever spent!
    "– the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

gonna try to take a caribou and a black bear this year with a 375 Winchester. Sent my 30-30 off for a rebore.
    Moose n Grizz with a 9.3x62.
    Hope to put the lady on a moose with the 358 win.
    Next weekend, calling for lnyx n fox with a 22 mag.
    Beaver for food along the Yukon River (when in season) in the early summer with a 22 mag.

Cdubin,

What is that 760 chambered for?

matnaggewinu

A new to me SS Remmy Model 7 in 300 SAUM. This little rifle feels great in the hands for my short stature. Still reading up on handloads for it and waiting until work gives me a break before hitting the bench and range.

Last spring I used a gift card and a sale promotion to buy a Loopy VX-III with the B&C BDC reticle. I was not sure what to do with it until the Model 7 showed up. Reading the set up info for the B&C BDC it appears that for the 300 SAUM I have to set it up to be sighted in at 300 yards. I will be taking this rifle with me when I make a work trip to the Lost Coast and plan on doing a lot of practice out to 600 yards on the beaches. Should have the BDC system figured out by the end of the trip.

I'm looking to stick something bigger than deer with my 62 cal flintlock this year. Nothing definite, but moose is most likely. A 345-grain .610" roundball getserdone at 1550 fps.

I have seen little that is new thats also exciting,same good old stuff for me
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post

Cdubin,

What is that 760 chambered for?
    Ought-six. Usually with 180-gr. Cor-Lokts, kinda a Remington fan.
    "– the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

30-06 for me.

Have a Heym 450/400 double rifle due in by April. Hopefully either it or my recently ordered 475 Linebaugh Freedim Arms revolver will help me kill this years moose. I like using something different every time we go out.

Same p.o.s. beater Remington 700 30-06 I've been carrying for the last 20 yrs. I've drifted a couple times, but I always come back to it.

416 weatherby,custom synthetic stock, 400 grain x bullet. my tried and true

looks like I am going to use a suspressor on a 300 WSM. Since the eye surgery, Doc says NO RECOIL for at least 6 monthes now. May even look at putting can on a 257 Bob...

Did luck out and draw a moose tag.

If rifle doesn't pan out, will use my bow.

Chris

I'm still hoping to connect with my wheelgun so it will be the SBH Bisley Hunter 45 Colt for black bear over bait this spring and moose in the fall. My buddy wants to kill a griz. April we're hiking in to an area, he'll have his 338 RUM. I may pack my 454 levergun loaded hot and heavy on that one. He's the primary shooter. 325 wsm for sheep and maybe for caribou. Maybe the 45 Colt though for bou.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Inevitably I end up hunting with a variety of rifles, but I suppose that the 416 RM and my 7mm STW will both get some use this year. Always carry the Whelen during hunting season and do not doubt that my 338 WM will go afield with me sooner or later. Probably pop a few foxes with my 17 HMR and I can't wait until the .221 Fireball is finally finished for the bulk of my fur hunting.
    Esse quam videri

I'll probably use my pre 64 in 300 H&H as usual but I have a 700Rem in 350Mag that I've been wanting to try on something. There are others but one of those two is the most likely.

This year I will be using the tried and true Mathews Switchback again for black bears with a 12 gauge Benneli for back up. For Caribou I will either take the Tikka Super light in 30-06 and 168 grain Barnes handloads again or the 300 WBY. Depends if I can get a good solid handload for the Weatherby that I like. Now the squirrels will be seeing lead fly to them from the Rem. 700 VSF 22-250 at a long way away, with 55 grain CT handloads, unless I miss

Savage 16 .300 bear hunter I'm waiting on it to get in! I'm excited

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.296333,-148.709018

Going to stick with my old tang safety ruger, 30-338, she seems to do it all for me.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    looks like I am going to use a suspressor on a 300 WSM. Since the eye surgery, Doc says NO RECOIL for at least 6 monthes now. May even look at putting can on a 257 Bob...

Did luck out and draw a moose tag.

If rifle doesn't pan out, will use my bow.

Chris
    How does a can reduce recoil?

I have never shot a rifle with a can before, but my friends that have only mentioned the noise reduction. The rifle still impacted their shoulder the same.

Either my Mauser model 5000 in 7mm Rem Mag or my REminton 700 8mm Rem Mag. Depends on if I decide to try for a grizzly during our caribou hunt.
    Ray, he ment recoil suppresso

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast