Thread: AMDS medium high banker

Default AMDS medium high banker

Does anyone have any expirence running this high banker from AMDS?

http://www.akmining.com/mine/amds_power_sluice.htm

Any pros/cons? I am pretty new at prospecting just messed around with ssome picks and shovels and a small stream sluice and pan the past 2 summers and am looking to step it up a bit and this seems like the next logical step instead of going full on suction dredge its cheap enough I'm not of a lot of money if I strike out but seems like it will move enough material to be worth the investment .

Looks just like the one I have. I really like mine. I bought mine used for a good price with some extras.
    Looks like they include the honda pump instead of the Keene(Same motor different pump). The self priming of the Honda pump would be nice although you will loose a little bit of head. Thats ok though unless you are running it a long ways from the water source.
    mine can be a pain to prime sometimes.
    On mine I broke the valve (the one with the red handle) in the front cause I dropped it on a rock. I replaced it with a PVC valve that has ends that glue on then the main valve body threads onto them. This is great as I can now swivel the valve any way I want. This allows the valve to swivel so you can have your water hose come in from any angle or even the other side.
    Makes it easier to set up especially in areas that require a settling pond.
    You can then set up so your discharge is facing whatever way works best and you don't risk kinking your hose and is just easier overall. the stock setup does work fine though.
    Also I lost a thumb screw on one of the legs. I ended up replacing all of them with stainless eyebolts and I do like the eyebolts better. The stock ones do work fine also.
    I converted my hose to Camloc ends as well as the pump and highbanker ends and that is almost a must do item. One piece of grit and those threaded fittings bind up. Camlocs aren't that expensive and you can have the hose ends easily changed over. I carry 2-50' sections of hose and 1-25'. I leave what I don't think I will need in the truck where I can always go back for it if needed.
    I have Aluminum camlocs and they are fairly light. They do also make plastic camlocs but having never tried them I was leary about durability.
    Be sure to avoid the heavy brass camlocs. Weigh way too much to be usefull.
    I have found gold with mine including nuggets and fine to flour gold.
    It will splash some due to the spray bars spraying on rock and dirt. Rain gear may be needed even on a sunny day.
    Once set up and running even a kid can have fun shoveling into the hopper.
    Any more questions just ask.
    Roust-A-Bout lure company
    Handcrafted fishing lures made right here in Alaska!
    Roust-a-boutlures@hotmail.com

Thanks for the info! Should be a nice investment and even if we dont find much at under $1200 that's nothin for many summers of fun. I'm sure it works way faster than I can scoop in 5 gallon buckets worth Of material. I really like the overall size/ weight when broken down should be pretty easy to throw on the 4 wheeler and carry to wherever I am going

Yes I have had mine since 2001 or 2002 and still works good.
    It is a fun family time even if you don't find a lot of gold. Gets everyone out of the house and into the outdoors.
    Since you already have the pans and related stuff you should be setup for many summers of fun.

How about up keep? I know it will mostly be with the motor/ pump but any problems or things on the pump that require frequent maintainence. I know the obvious oil changes/ air filter / plug on the motor but anything else? What type of bearings are in those pumps do they get gummed up often?

Kasilofchrisn,

Where in South Central did you find your camlocks?

Alaska rubber and supply has them in anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Kasilofchrisn,

Where in South Central did you find your camlocks?
    I believe mine came from either AIH or Ferguson(FNW) here on the Peninsula.
    I know I had my lay flat hoses made at Ferguson because I don't have the banding machine to make them up like I do at work on the slope.
    I am thinking AIH had the threaded Camlocs because I get a discount there so they were probably the cheaper of the two for me.
    That is the one option I would consider a MUST DO for any highbanker. One piece of sand in your threads and your npt fitting jams up. A Camloc goes togethe/comes apart so much easier and is easy to rinse any debris out of.Just don't loose your gaskets. They do stay in pretty good though and I have never lost one. Plus the gaskets are super easy to replace if you do lose one.
    Any good hose supplier would have them though and there are probably more options in the Anchorage area where you are at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    How about up keep? I know it will mostly be with the motor/ pump but any problems or things on the pump that require frequent maintainence. I know the obvious oil changes/ air filter / plug on the motor but anything else? What type of bearings are in those pumps do they get gummed up often?
    Sorry I missed this earlier. The only thing I have done to mine as far as motor maintenance is yearly oil changes.
    I drain the pump of water after every trip just by tipping the pump till it runs out just in case I don't get out again before it freezes.
    I have not had any issues with bearings or my motor ever(knock on wood).
    I did have issues with my foot valve letting small pebbles in that plug up the spray bars so I wired some smaller screen to the one on the footvalve.
    The ends of my spray bars are just press fit in place so I can remove them for cleaning and so I can adjust the spray direction if needed. I found I needed to make sure my water discharge was downstream of my water intake and that eliminated most of that anyway.
    In one area I was having problems with moss sticking to the footvalve Now I just watch and when the moss builds up either move the pump a little bit away from the mossy rocks or clean it off before it slows the water down signifigantly.