Thread: Suggestions on purchasing Alaskan Moose cape.

Default Suggestions on purchasing Alaskan Moose cape.

My grandfather went to the Yukon back in the 1970s and shot a big bull moose. It measures 60+. My father now has the antlers, and would like to do a shoulder mount. I found a cape from a guy who went up this past September to Alaska and shot a 51 inch bull. The cape measures 16 1/2 from nose to eyes, and 31 1/2 inches behind the ears after being caped. I realize bulls get much bigger, however, I visited with my local taxidermist who has done many moose, and he said that the size of the cape should really be the least of my worries, for it is still a big animal. The cape I am getting came off a 51 inch bull. The cape was also frozen the day after the bull was harvested. The cape was also prepared (fleshed, eyes ears and nose split) by a taxidermist. I am also getting the cape for $350, and the guy happens to be coming close to where I live so there will be no shipping costs.

Basically, I am wondering if I should just get this cape and go with it, or if I should pay the extra money and get a bigger cape (which I can for around $650).

Also, I plan to do the tanning and mount myself. My local taxidermist said that moose capes can be a little touchy when it comes to hair slippage. I salt, pickle, neutralize, and tan using Lutan-F for all my mule deer, whitetail, and antelope mounts. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how to avoid hair slippage?

a 31 1/2" neck is SMALL

You need to find a larger cape for an over 60" moose.

Also , If you have no experience in tanning HUGE HEAVY skins you are in for trouble.

I have been tanning our own skins since 1996. Everything from Mink to Elephant. & if I had it all to do over again I would have started using a REPUTABLE tannery for everything, But then again, I am a glutton for punishment.
    Do you have a big wheel flesher ?? You WILL need one.

We use LutanFN & Oxalic Acid pickle & have had great succes, BUT I have been doing this for a long time.

You can tan a moose cape in a 55 gallon PLASTIC drum, but prepare to get yourself & the floor & everything arround you soaked.

When a large moose cape is soaking wet it will weigh more than it did after skinning, ( unless your skinning it in a river) LOL.

Fleshing them on Big wheel flesher is also a real workout.

Plus if it looks like it needs to be returned to the pickle then do it. AS Many times as it takes to get the pickle through the entire skin. Before moving it on to the tan.

Again, You can do it yourself , witha lot of Determination, Sweat, Cut hands, Hurting muscles, & most importantly, the right equipment.

If you want to talk to me about it give me a yell, & i will help ya get through this project.

RJ Simington

Almost forgot, You need ATLEAST a 38 " neck cape. A 40" would be the best.

We killed a couple of 36" wide mose a couple years ago that had 32 & 34 " necks.

The 50 " moose I got year before last was 37" neck.

If you use Too small of a necked cape, the Face & width of head will be wrong also & will look real off when the mount is done.

Our Students come with under sized cape alot, & very quickly they find out that its not worth the trouble.

RJ Simington

I am thinking that maybe the measurement of 31 1/2" is rearward (or length behind)of the ears and not circumferance of the neck, as you seem to indicate, protaxidermy ?

And, within reason of course, antler spread is not indicative of body size on a moose, but I do not pretend to know what is best from a taxidermy standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I am thinking that maybe the measurement of 31 1/2" is rearward (or length behind)of the ears and not circumferance of the neck, as you seem to indicate, protaxidermy ?

And, within reason of course, antler spread is not indicative of body size on a moose, but I do not pretend to know what is best from a taxidermy standpoint.
    Yes, the 31 1/2 measurement is the measurement directly behind the ears. I have never dealt with moose measurements. When refering to the measurement of a deer, I typically just go with the measurement directly behind the ears. I guess I am not sure how people typically refer to moose cape measurement. When someone tells me I need a bigger cape (38+ inches), are they refering to the same measurement I am?

ALWAYS the Measurement is behind the ears.

It is better for an actual Neck on the meat measurement after skinning but most of the time on a moose that is forgotten.

a 31 " neck is a small moose no matter how you look at it. Even if it was a Spike that had each antler going straight away from the sides of the head, the body size is still too small for a Large moose.

Yes there are sometimes variences, ( Starving to death animal, weird antler configuration), but when you are talking putting a SMALL cape on a Large set of antlers it just isnt the proper way to do the job.

Just as in ANY job, Doing a good finished product is result of using the right tools & the right knowledge the first time.

The job is easier in the mounting & the finishing if done right .

RJ Simington

I too try to take field measurements.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Exactly Stid . Only thing different on a moose is a LOT more hair & floppy skin.

Most of the time around the hair adds a couple of inches.

Anouther thing to remember when measuring a RAW cape, You can stretch a Raw cape way beyond what that cape will actually be after being tanned, This is due to elasticity that raw skin has.

After being tanned the cape will only go so far without distorting the rest of the cape.

Sort of like putting a 18 inch neck deer cape on a 20 inch form.

You might get it on there but the white patch will be about an inch wide & clear up both sides of the neck & the Brisket & arm pits will be elongated.

Unfortunately, most hunters donot know the difference in a quality mount & just a hack job.

Hopefully we can remedy that.