Thread: Dulbi River Access questions

Default Dulbi River Access questions

Howdy,
    I have been drawn for the DM812 permit and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on access to this area? I figure we could fly in to the upper section then float down to somewhere that a water taxi could pick us up.
    Thank you,
    -JR

I think that would be a great way to hunt it. Finding someone to fly you in is going to be a problem though.

Myself and a friend drew the same permit and we plan on running up in jet boats. Floating it sounds promising but before doing that would pay to fly over the river to insure there are no log jams and that it is deep enough in all spots.

I plan to do a fly over mid to late summer.
    -JR

If you do a float you must have your air taxi pick you up outside the boundaries of the KCUA. I have flown it and never have seen a log jam. Their are bars in the upper park landable but takeoffs MUST be light. Mid section there are decent bars to get picked off of and transport to Galena......30 minute flight.
    Wherever you go ....there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    Howdy,
    I have been drawn for the DM812 permit and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on access to this area? I figure we could fly in to the upper section then float down to somewhere that a water taxi could pick us up.
    Thank you,
    -JR
    You would have to float down to almost the Koyukuk in order for a water taxi (Charlie Green) to pick you up. It would mean floating about 50+ miles or so of unhuntable water for you. That section of the river would probably take you about 18 hours or so floating time.

It is looking like we will have 2 catarafts w/ kickers and two 15' round boats. I am looking into using the super leopards to tow the rounds down from Cottonwood creek to the Koyukuk and then either up to Huslia or down to the village of Koyukuk. Any thoughts?
    -JR

Why would it be hard to find someone to fly hunters into this area?
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I think that would be a great way to hunt it. Finding someone to fly you in is going to be a problem though.

It took 25+ calls to find a pilot that knew the area, only to be told that its to short of a gravel bar for anything but cubs so the big rafts are out of the question. But we have a few other ideas on how to hunt as much of it as possible.
    -JR

Quote Originally Posted by mules&mtns View Post
    Why would it be hard to find someone to fly hunters into this area?
    It' just the way it is. There's only one person that I know of that's running a fly out operation anywhere in the area and that's Joe Schuster out of Galena. He won't fly you out unless you're paying for his service to also be outfitted, and even then he most likely won't fly you into the upper Dulbi because there's no good places in the area to put down on with floats.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    It' just the way it is. There's only one person that I know of that's running a fly out operation anywhere in the area and that's Joe Schuster out of Galena. He won't fly you out unless you're paying for his service to also be outfitted, and even then he most likely won't fly you into the upper Dulbi because there's no good places in the area to put down on with floats.
    Joe has also been running a couple of super cubs out of Galena the past few years - 1 on wheels & 1 on floats. it is expensive, though.

Whatever came of this? Looking back and curious if it panned out?