Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tripod for spotting scope for upcoming sheep hunt

Default tripod for spotting scope for upcoming sheep hunt

Hey gang,
    Well my son and I lucked into DS203 tags (party permit) for DCUA walk in hunt. I drew the tag a couple years ago and harvested a great ram. I realized on that hunt that my spotting scope tripod needs to go in the trash can.

Recommendations? Lightweight, not crazy expensive but gets the job done.

Thanks in advance.

Brian in Wasilla

Take a look at the Slik mini sprint ii 43.3" tripod it is compact light (around 1.5 lbs) has a ball head, a 4.5 lb capacity and cost around 75 or so... This a new model (or a new name?) last year's model was just called the Slik mini II 43.3 and got great reviews. It only goes to 43.3" high but should be high enough for glassing especially if you have a angled scope. I think Bob ( Barney's ) was going to start to carry them this year if not try B&H Photo.

Great-thanks for the info.

Brian

Bought the Slik sprint pro II. It weighs in at about 2 lbs. I was deciding between this one and the slik sprint mini but I wanted a tripod that would extend past 43" for use with my DSLR camera also, it extends to 63". It's packed folding length is only 2" inches more than the mini and weighs only about 5 oz more. Plus the mini was backordered at most places i looked, even BH today.

Thanks much......

In my search for a mountain tripod, I have tried a few. My Slik compact has served me well. I did upgrade to a carbon fiber Gitzo this year.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've used a Slik Mini II quite a bit this year. It's a good sturdy tripod in most ways. Legs lock in solid and the head is as good as any mini ball type I've seen. The only issues I've noted is that the quick release has gotten a bit loose over time and it's marginal stability for an 85mm type spotter.

Yk

Stid,
    what does the carbon fiber Gitzo run you $$ ?

Thanks.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    Stid,
    what does the carbon fiber Gitzo run you $$ ?

Thanks.
    Brian

I bought mine on ebay for 250.00,, they run in the 400 to 600 range.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have the snipe pod shooting sticks for my rifle and just bought the tripod adapter for them. They seem to work great and are ultra light. I Don't think that you could put a real heavy scope on there but my vortex seems perfect. They should be good for backpacking ecause they serve a double purpose.

Thanks gents........

I spent a lot of time with this. If you have the bucks to spend go with the gitzo, if not ust get the Slik Mini II. Steve can attest to using his with great success for a long time. I bought a culman nano but it wouldnt hold the Swaro. My mini came in the other day and my budy says it does great. I had to buy it off of ebay at a place in Korea though. No issues with the purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went with a Velbon Ultralux this year. It's the nicest tripod I've ever owned. Thanks AlaskaLanche for the recommendation. I liked the ease of deployment the most of all it's features. I don't think it's the lightest but functional 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    I spent a lot of time with this. If you have the bucks to spend go with the gitzo, if not ust get the Slik Mini II. Steve can attest to using his with great success for a long time. I bought a culman nano but it wouldnt hold the Swaro. My mini came in the other day and my budy says it does great. I had to buy it off of ebay at a place in Korea though. No issues with the purchase.

How long did it take to come in from Korea, do you know if that is where they are built? I have been looking for one but everyone is sold out...

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I went with a Velbon Ultralux this year. It's the nicest tripod I've ever owned. Thanks AlaskaLanche for the recommendation. I liked the ease of deployment the most of all it's features. I don't think it's the lightest but functional 100%.
    Big Horse, What did the Velbon Ultralux run you $$ ?

Thanks.

I've used Gitzo carbon fiber tripods for about 15 years in conjunction with my photography business. They are the gold standard and never had an issue with any of the models I've owned and they been carried around a lot as well as being bounced off the bottom of the boats or ATV boxes.

Be careful about going to light with one. A tripod helps develope some of it's stability with it's mass as well as the stiffness of the construction. Forget about using the center column as well to help increase the height. No sense in having three legs to the ground only to raise up one column and expecting it to be stable.

I like the little ones sold by Barney's in anchorage. This past season I used a vortex high country tripod and it did great. But after 8 days of use I realized that i never used it more than a few feet off the ground and could have taken the smaller one shaving a good bit of bulk and weight. Now I will just look at the terrain I am going to. If I am heading to a place where I will be glassing from below tree line then I will take the tall one. Areas I expect to glass from up high then the little one is my choice. I can't remember the brand off hand but Kahahawaii did a writeup on it last year. The price was very reasonable as well. Heck I have maybe 1/2 the money total than many folks spend on just one tripod.

Here is a tip I forgot to share while out in the mountains. Take a small, lightweight mesh (even plastic will work) bag with you. When you are glassing put a couple of pounds of rocks or gravel in the bag and tie it underneath the tripod head (or anywhere else high and centrally located) and allow it to hang without touching the ground. This will pull the legs to the ground and increase the stability of the tripod. When you are finished empty the bag and keep on trekking!

Like Bighorse mentioned I use the Velbon Ultra MAXi M tripod. Did a quick little write up on it if you are still looking Here

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Like Bighorse mentioned I use the Velbon Ultra MAXi M tripod. Did a quick little write up on it if you are still looking Here
    Mr. Lanche. Not to highjack the thread, but do you use a 65mm scope? I have a 80mm Kowa I'm going to trade for a Swarovski since it is so bloody heavy. I'm leaning on the 65 over the 80, again due to weight. I've never seen much benefit to the extra big objective.

I just bought a lightweight Nikon tripod at Sportsmans. Pretty nice, but not as fancy as the ones everyone else have mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast