Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Backpack Question

Default Hunting Backpack Question

Does anyone use external frame packs still? Im looking to get one just because I cant see more advantages with them vs an internal frame. However, I want one that has a "flow through"* pocket so i can put my gun on my backpack. Anyone have any suggestions. Also if you own an external frame, are they pretty sweet or am I over-looking something?

*thats what they were called on a video with a kelty super tioga. But i havent been able to find this model on their website.

I have a Barney's Hunter pack. It's by far the most comfortable, well made pack I have ever owned. They have lots of room, fully adjustable suspension, and are really durable. They are pricy though. I would definitely check them out.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

external frame, all i own, flow thru pocket right on the back as mentioned along with about 4 other ways to fix a gun on it. barneys pinnicle pack....awesome.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

PB110076.jpg
    Three votes for Barney's packs in a row!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

barney's is the bomb...my go to pack

I would like to get a Barneys pack as well. How big is the freighter pack vs. the pinnacle? How much do they usually run for the pack and frame? I have had trouble finding a pack that fits. I am 6'5" and 215 lbs. height being the main problem. any advice would be great. thanks guys.

And yet another vote for Barneys. I will add that I like the external rifle carrier even better than flow through pocket type and the barneys comes with 4 options to carry your rifle. I have used it on two hunts now and 3 off season trips and will be selling several other packs now!

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

another vote for Barneys,

tbone131, Barneys packs and frames run around $600. Not sure about the size difference between the pinnacle and the freighter. Head into the store and they will get the frame sized for you. Very friendly staff, and lots of good info in the shop.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Duckslayer, Thanks for the info. I will check it out then. $600 doesn't seem bad if their packs are as good as everyone says they are

+ 1 on the Barney's. What is your favorite way to pack your rifle on your Barney's pack? I bought a pinnacle last year and slid mine through the flow through pocket and into the butt stock pouch and it worked pretty well. Just wandering if there is a better way?

I'll put in another vote for the Barneys.

This is a "Hunter" at about 6000 ft.

Although they come with several different methods of attaching a rifle, including both back and side pockets and various straps, I'm one of those who just hangs it on the frame. The top bar got "lost" the first hour I owned it, and so now it has a nice place to sling a rifle with instant access.

They all come with the same "Freighter" frame, but you have a choice of several different bags. The most popular being the "Hunter", "Pinnacle", and recently the "Yukon". The Hunter bag is plenty big, but the Pinnacle and Yukon bags are simply monstrous. I used a Hunter bag in 2011, but horse traded my way into a Pinnacle bag (thanks AK_Lanche) for 2012 just in case I need to carry a small house or other large bulky items. Both are excellent.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    + 1 on the Barney's. What is your favorite way to pack your rifle on your Barney's pack? I bought a pinnacle last year and slid mine through the flow through pocket and into the butt stock pouch and it worked pretty well. Just wandering if there is a better way?
    Im like Yellowknife ,unless Im climbing I just hang my rifle on the frame but I also put a couple inch piece of broomstick in the top of the frame hole to keep the sling of the rifle from slipping off.

The Pinnacle and the Yukon are identical is size. The Yukon has an access zipper to the bottom part of the back. Also it has a fabric shelf inside that can separate loads. I think the Hunter bag hold 6000 cu in, Pinnacle and Yukon 7800. Sports show in April will be your best bet at 10% off. btw, I have the Yukon and love it.

For carrying your rifle take a look at the Kifaru gun sling it is very simple to use and simply works! I was never sold on it till a good friend bought me one for a sheep hunt last year and I now wonder how I got by all these years without one.

Does Barney have a website or any way i can look at his selection? Also has anyone tried the cabelas external frames? It seems apparent that Barney's backpacks are awsome but the cost is less than awsome. I would like a well-built starter backpack, as this would be my 1st one.

I use a Cabelas frame, with the cheaper bag. I like it, and have definately gotten my $150 out of it. It goes wherever I hunt. Light weight, dosen't have 27 pockets to lose stuff in, handles moose hind quarters just fine, and I can fit a whole deer in the bag if I want to. I bought a rifle sling to mount on it for $10 that works fine for hiking. $600 is close to my annual hunting budget...no way I'd blow it all on a pack frame. I'm sure the Barney's bags are great, but not for me...
    Nice Marmot.

Barneys technically has a website, but I wouldn't exactly call it functional. You pretty much have to call or walk in.

http://barneyssports.com/

I haven't tried the Cabelas packs, so no comment there. From what I've seen, the bags are smaller and the harnesses are not of the same quality.

The only other large size frame pack I'm aware of are the one's made by Alaska Range Outdoor Gear. The "non-free standing" version goes for $375 (I can't stand "free standing" packs). I've looked at these in a local shop, and they appear to be much better made than the Cabelas version, but with a more primitive harness system than the Barneys. The bag is unconventional, in that it has a zippered top rather than the typical flap type.

http://www.akrange.com/products.html

So what you planning on using the pack for? Heavy or light use? Another thing to note is that the base frames for all these are very similar and you can mix and match components to some extent. My partner this year was using a Barneys harness attached to a Sportsmans Warehouse frame and a Cabelas bag....

Yk

http://barneyssports.com/

The website does not show most of the stuff they sell in the store. I have a Barneys pack and a Cabela's frame/pack. They both serve their purpose. For situations where you carry your camp on your back, you will love the Barneys; however, for those times where you pack a moose quarter for example, the Cabela's would work. In my opinion, the Barney's is more durable and feels 10x more comfortable on my back, especially for extended periods of hiking.

The Alaska Range products look pretty skukoom however, I had a buddy use a brand new Alaska Range Pack on a Kodiak Goat Hunt last year. When they loaded the pack and went to tighten everthing down one of the harness attachements broke off, so he had to carry it without it properly secured then a second attachment broke (probably due to the extra stress) so he basically had to carry his frame over his shoulder with his arms for the remaining mile or so.... I know that he planned to let AK Range know (as he manages a store that sells their products)and I am sure that they intend to produce a quality product. Perhaps it was just a lemon if you will. FYI...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast