Thread: Carcass Disposal?

Default Carcass Disposal?

If you didn't read it in the paper or see it on TV, someone dumped three skinned bear carcasses in an alley behind some Anchorage businesses. I'm sure we all agree that this was a poor choice, so I don't think we need to discuss this particular incident, but it did bring up a question in my mind:

How do you dispose of animal carcasses if you bring them back home? I almost always skin and bone the animal where it lies, but there are times when people bring the whole animal home for whatever reason. So, what do you do with the waste? Or, if you only bring leg bones home, what do you do with those? I'm curious as to the methods people use...

-Brian

Default carcass

When I go out on roadkill moose pickup, the carcass/guts and such go to the landfill in Eagle river....Kenworth the dog likes to claim the leg bones...minus the scapulas...I bring home the black bear quarters but he doesn't get those bones. Not only was the dumping of carasses a no-class move, but another un-needed black-eye for hunters in general...as well as wanton waste of good meat in my opinion.

A good percentage of the moose and bou in alaska carry the cyst of the taenia (spelling?) tapeworm in their meat. Humans can't get these, but canines can. Not a good idea to let the dog have raw meat or bones with meat.
    Oh.........if you have any buddies who are trappers you might ask them if they'd like your leftovers. Wouldn't that be like recycling?

Default Exactly mt

Martentrapper said it very well about the tapeworm. I had a friend last year who gave his dog some moose bones, uncooked and that dog was doing the "butt scooting boogie" all the way across the house until he got those worms out.

Trappers would be MORE than happy to take them.

We slow cook bones up in a big pot with water after sawing the bigger bones in half, usually adding onions and spices. When the meat falls off the bone, can the juice and loose meat in quart jars for soup base. Dogs get the cooked bones and take care of them real fast. Blood shot meat, fat and nastier trim goes into a separate pot. Boil that with all your vegetable trimmings from the last week and can it to supplement your dog's food. He'll love you this winter.

Like BrownBear, some goes toward making "dog soup," some for crab pot bait, and some gets dropped into the briny deep. When all else fails, I bag it and freeze it, and then it goes out on the next trash pick up day.
    He fears his fate too much or his desserts are small who fears on just one touch to win or lose it all.

Hey fish........tapeworms are a permanent deal til you get the right meds from the vet. Scooting don't do the trick.

Default I know it MT

But that is how they found out the dog had worms Ever seen a dog do that before? Funnier than hell.

Default we give the bones to the dogs

they get tapeworms from eating voles too, so we just worm 'em when they need it, once or twice a year.
    living in a dogyard it just seems mean not to give them bones...they like 'em so much, and summer and fall sucks if you are a sled dog <grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Summer only sucks for the dogs whose owners don't run them once in a while................Dave! :-(

Default You guys....

Are all nuts! Dogs dont get the "scoots" from worms. This is a dogs way of expressing their anal glands, by scooting. And for someone who has fed the BARF (Bones and raw food) diet for 15 years I have yet to have a dog get sick on bear, moose or fish. Dogs have a very "intune" digestive system. What do you think they ate before we came along.

Anyhow I had to add my two cents in here, I sat back and laughed enough.

Happy hunting!~

I'm sorry to hear your laughing huntress. I'm also sorry someone so "out of tune" of reality has dogs. You would do your pets well to educate yourself.
    Happy educating!

Here's some links to educate you:
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/...09-23-2004.pdf

http://wildlife1.usask.ca/newsletters/newsletter2-3.htm

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ease.internal2

Default More educational info Huntress

This is pulled from this website http://www.petcaretips.net/tapeworms_in_dogs.html

Where it SPECIFICALLY talks about dogs scooting from tapeworms. If you would like more sources I can happily supply them for you.

What kind of problems do tapeworms cause for the dog?

Tapeworms are not highly pathogenic (harmful) to your dog. They may cause debilitation and weight loss when they occur in large numbers. Sometimes, the dog will scoot or drag its anus across the ground or carpet because the segments are irritating to the skin in this area. The adult worm is generally not seen, but the white segments which break away from the tapeworm and pass outside the body rarely fail to get an owner's attention!

Default tapeworms and scooting

yes huntress, it can be an anal gland issue, but at a certain point in the tapeworms cycle segments, and occasionally long portions of worms, will be found hanging out the dogs butt. ( hey, who fed the dog's linguine?).
    the rest of the time the dogs still have worms, but unless they are really bad the dogs will not often show any sign, unless they are working hard. then they will not have the endurance you expect, and they will be cold and have crappy coats.
    and to answer the question,before we domesticated them they ate the same stuff, and they had worms....
    also, the stuff you can buy over the counter is not very effective, and bad for the dogs, a lot of the pet store remedies have toulene as the active ingredient. droncit and cestex are the stuff you should use, and there is another new med on the market that i have yet to try...(on the dogs :-))

Default hey MT

didn't see your post...they get off plenty, just don't have as much fun....going to town and the beach and the harbor is not as much fun as running a few miles...they are all pretty old these days...