Thread: 400gr speer out of a 45-70 Guide Gun

Default 400gr speer out of a 45-70 Guide Gun

I picked up a marlin Guide Gun for a good price. I was wondering if anyone has any experence with the 400gr Flat Nose speer? I figured that the bullet should only be moving about 1800fps so the bullet should hold together. What is your guys experence with it. The gun will be used for black bear and moose.

That's about the only jacketed bullet I shoot out of mine any more, and it's a goodun at the kind of velocity you're talking. You'll be going some to actually get 1800 out of the short barrel, even though it's pretty easy with a 1895. I've never recovered one from game, so that should tell you something about how well it holds together.

One thing worth noting- Don't get all wrapped up in shooting that 1800 fps load all the time, or you'll miss out on the fun. Load it down to 1100-1200fps reminiscent of the original, and it's a hoot to shoot, while still a potent round.

1800 was a guess if it shoots the best at max load and a 18.5 inch barrel. I got such a good deal on the rifle and scope that I couldn't pass it up. It is the ported model, but like I said I got a smoking deal on it. Thanks for the info. I hope to get to the range next weekend to see how it shots the speers.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    1800 was a guess if it shoots the best at max load and a 18.5 inch barrel. I got such a good deal on the rifle and scope that I couldn't pass it up. It is the ported model, but like I said I got a smoking deal on it. Thanks for the info. I hope to get to the range next weekend to see how it shots the speers.
    Not tried those speers. But another good Jacket that I have been using for a while is the 350Gr Hornaday Interlock (flat Nose). I shoot them out of my 16" GG. Very Consistent and very accurate out to 200yds and still fairly good to 300. Sat atop 40Gr of Reloader 7 is fairly heafty but not so much it bruises you!

I've shot the Speer 400 gr. bullets out of my 1895 Marlin since the 70's. BrownBear is right about loading them down for some fun shooting. I've always used the old Elmer Keith load of 53 grains of IMR3031 for my max load, and with the hard curved butt plate on my rifle they do get your attention.

Funny now, but not so much at the time, story. About 4-5 years ago I was at the range and a guy showed up to sight in his new GG. He set up next to me, noticed that I had an older 1895, and asked how long I'd had it. We chatted about our guns for a couple of minutes and returned to shooting. He was shooting factory loads, and when I set off one of my 53/400 loads it got his attention, and he asked what the hell I was shoot in that thing. One thing led to another and he offered me a box of factory shells and his spent brass if he could shoot a couple of my 53/400 loads. Given the price of brass alone I figured it was a good deal and we exchanged goods. He shot my loads and got a big grin out of the experience. He admitted that they packed a wallop. Then he went back to shooting his remaining ammo. A minute or so later I hear a BOOM, swearing, and see the GG go flying through the air. I'm thinking Oh crap one of my loads blew up his gun. Wrong. First, he hadn't engaged the cross bolt safety, and instead of placing his gun in the rest and chambering a shell after getting in behind the gun, he chambered a shell and was moving the hammer to half cock before placing it in the rest when his thumb slipped off the hammer. Fortunately, the gun was pointed downrange. Unfortunately, it wasn't pointed straight down range. I had brought several guns to shoot and was rotating through them to let the barrels cool completely. They were in the gun racks between and in front of the benches. The bullet went squarely through the forearm of a new Savage 110 30-06 I was breaking in. When the bullet hit the barrel it split, and the fragment that came out the remains of the forearm closest to my Remington 700 took out a really nice crystal clear circa 1972 Weaver 3-9 AO. The only good news that day was the guy owned a machine shop, and I followed him to his place of business where he gave me enough cash to make things right. (Something about his wife never being able to learn about what happened.) I always figured that even mild factory 405 grain loads would penetrate far enough for almost anything you might shoot in the Western Hemisphere. This incident confirmed it.

Enjoy your new rifle and be safe.

i have shot both and prefer the 405gr core-loct as that bullet will chamber in both my marlins and winchester 86. the speer won't. as with most loading components it is important to do a quality check on loaded ammunition to prove reliability. generally my 45-70 cases do not require a trim, but over-all length is important. testing ammunition as it is assembled is always a good idea.

the 45-70 is a real favorite and is underated due to paper ballistics, field use on deer and elk have made me a believer!
    happy trails.
    jh

Try 50 grains of IMR 3031. I have had the best accuracy with my 1895 with that load. It runs about 1750fps and will take anything you want. I've killed the largest caribou and white tail with that load. As long as you don't drive them faster than 1900 fps the Speer 400 will take anything you are likely to run into. Speer rates them for between 1500 and 1900 fps. Jim