Thread: Original 1892 Winchester hammer problems

Default Original 1892 Winchester hammer problems

Some time in the past it looks like somebody honed down the contact edge of the hammer on my old 1892 Win t make the action smoother, However now that it is 120 years old, the hammer is not always pushed into the cocked position by the bolt. So you run the lever and the hammer goes back down to half-cock....

SEE PHOTOS:

So I need a hammer for a 1892 Win... or some way to add metal without ruining the old heat treating.....

IDEAS ????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Homestead Firearms, $75.00 for new hammer.

Don’t think you need a new one or need to add to it, you need to move the sear notch a little to match the amount gone off the nose. Take just enough she catches again, don‘t change the angle in relation to the pivot point . . . couple careful file strokes at a time then stone it after it works right. Putting a new one in will likely require the same fitting to make it work right.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The new ones are metric....

Anyway, I shorten the trigger sear tonight just enough to make it work. The angle was easier to make correct compared to changing the sear notch on the hammer side.

If it works it works and that is what counts. A new hammer wouldn’t have that beautiful color case hardening on it ether, it would stick out like a pimple on that ole gall without a bunch of work. I’ve not been into a lot of 92s, lots of 94s but only a couple 92s so I wasn’t sure if trimming the sear would work or not but moving the notch up I knew would work as it‘s SOP action job stuff.

Ether is a spooky thing to post on the web because you can make many guns unsafe playing with the sear engagement, especially bolt action guns . . . I almost didn’t post but I know you’re a savvy guy so did but I should have PMed it. Glad she is up and runnin for ya!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It looks like somebody had monkeyed around with the sear at some time in the past anyway, It was not level from port to starboard.
    Plus the old trigger pull was far too light. Now it is level from side to side and I increased the angle of engagaement until the trigger pull was a crsip 4 pounds on my pull-gauge.