Thread: DC 590 Unit 14b info

Default DC 590 Unit 14b info

I drew a dc590 caribou tag this year and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as what time of season to go. I am planning on flying in with Meekins Air. Looking at lots of past years pictures, looks like lots of hunters have been going early as the bou are still in velvet.
    Also, would it be worthwhile to have a black bear and moose tag?

Thanks

Thanks for the info, has anyone else hunted the area in the past?

Meekins will be a good choice. I live in Talkeetna (on the western side of that unit) so I will be flying with someone from here. My youngest daughter drew this tag. We plan on going in around Sept 10 as the oldest daughter has a tag on the Denali Highway we need to fill first. We'll give ourselves a couple long weekends to get that done first since it's ATV access. These 'bou are generally scattered around in the mountains. There are a few known "hot spots" and Meekins should have a good idea where that's at. I think it would be prudent to have a moose and bear tag if you are interested in them. Many of the people I know that have done this tag have doubled up on moose/bear/dall sheep along with their caribou. I know that I will be looking for a moose.

My son drew this tag 2 years ago. We flew in the first part of sept. Saw lots of black bear and a giant moose that i'm sure will die of old age. I would have a bear and moose tag with me if i was you. Never know what you may find. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Are the moose and bear generally lower down in the timber, or do they venture out above timberline as well?

saw several black bears above tree in on are last trip in the western talkeetna's

Does anyone have any pictures of caribou shot in the Talkeentas they would be willing to share?
    Thanks

My wife has drawn the western talkeetna's twice. Flew out of Talkeetna both times. Landed up high, not many big bulls. Shot cows without calves both times. Saw one brown bear and several sublegal sheep, no moose. Good hiking, goofed off and covered some ground. Went mid august both times. When it's clear it is very warm during the day and colder than I expected at night... freezing. We landed at 5000' no timber or brush. Lot's of caribou both times. Can't wait to draw again.

All shot in DC590 last year. I couldn't pass up a meat bull near the strip late in the hunt after not laying my eyes on a truely big bull. Went in opening week. My buddies fared better around labor day.

Listen to AKDoug.

Pursue happiness with diligence.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Attachment 58050

Here is a pic of a 14b (DC 590) bull from September 2010. Pic was taken during the winter obviously. 60 yards with my bowtech.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

I have had the DC590 tag twice. Both times shot nice caribou. I flew in with Meekin's both times and did not see a lot of caribou either time but always was able to get one. The last time I shot a nice grizzly bear and caribou. I will post pictures later when I get the right computer.

Thanks for the info and pics. Cant wait for this hunt. I booked my air taxi for Sept. 2 - 9th.

I also drew this tag. Do you guys know of anyone else that might want to fly out there with me. I am currently in Afghanistan, but will be coming home the first week in August.

Does anyone have any insight how the "bugs" are in this area the first week in September?

Quote Originally Posted by dklaw View Post
    Does anyone have any insight how the "bugs" are in this area the first week in September?
    they are struggling to put in enough food for the winter like everyone else.

not too bad if there has been a frosty night or two.

Bugs were a non issue for me hunting the opener in August. I don't think I even put on any bug dope. There was a decent frost the first or second night I was in there.

Would only expect them to be better (i.e. less) in September with some cooler weather and a good frost or two.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.