Thread: which cartridge

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default which cartridge

Ok just outta the sake of something to talk about i will ask if you guys would use one round over another in my scenario. Black bear over bait this spring using my 45/70 marlin guide gun in a tree stand prolly 30 yards away. I have a box of the following Buffalo Bore 350 grain jfn and a box of hornady leverevolution 325 grain ftx. I used the leverevolution round to dispatch a moose in the neck from about 10i feet a couple years back. The mooses head bounced off the tundra when hit and the wound cavity was devastating. Only thing that caught my attention is that the round didnt pass through and the copper jacket seperated from the lead body which resulted in some serious damage and quick dispatch of the moose. Now the buffalo bore no question there will be a hole and broken bones and one dead whatever this round comes in contact with. I plan on using the leverevolution thinkin this bear will probably not make it more than a few feet after a properly placed shot. Anyone use the other for some reason?

I would go with core-lokt and save some money.

I have been thinking about giving my .44 mag a shot this year...

12 gauge with Hornady SST.
    Paul

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

considering i have killed the with .. 223, 243, 270, 30.06, 300 win. 338 win. 45/70 and 450 marlin.. And my bow... and my daughter killed one with a .410 slug.. I am along the lines.. that...

AS LONG AS IT makes a hole going in.. it dont really matter on them black bears..

to big however.. may not open up in time to cause a lot of damage.. i think ( personally) larger calibures have caused more to run further then light ones..(when used in close quarters) i have had to sew legs back on when using the 338 out side of 150 yards though.. but ALL bears died
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    I used the leverevolution round to dispatch a moose in the neck from about 10i feet a couple years back. The mooses head bounced off the tundra when hit and the wound cavity was devastating. Only thing that caught my attention is that the round didnt pass through and the copper jacket seperated from the lead body which resulted in some serious damage and quick dispatch of the moose. Now the buffalo bore no question there will be a hole and broken bones and one dead whatever this round comes in contact with. I plan on using the leverevolution thinkin this bear will probably not make it more than a few feet after a properly placed shot. Anyone use the other for some reason?
    The one thing you have to remember with this scenario is that bullet was never designed to be used at point blank range and therefore was going at a higher rate of speed when it hit the animal so all bets are off at that point.

Have shot several bears with my 45-70 using hand loaded hornady leverevolution 325 grain ftxs, all at 20 yards or less. Everyone died where shot and never even moved. The bullets recovered stayed together.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

18" bennelli nova pump 12 gauge with a brenneke black magic rifled slug. Suprisingly accurate at 50 yrds. Clean exit hole the size of the slug. Minimal meat damage. Bear dropped immediately.
    I'll either use my bow this spring or my .460 revolver.

I have shot several blacks with the exact same gun and ammo. Needless to say I am a lever revolution fan.

Under the circumstances, I don't think it will make much difference either way. The whole point of setting up a bait is to arrange things so that you will have a nice easy shot. Last year my partner put an arrow clean through his first bear. It ran about 20 yards and died. A couple weeks later I popped one in the back of the head with my 30-30 and (of course) it dropped right there. No excuse for a bad shot over bait, therefore a lot of things (caliber, bullet, range, etc.) aren't all that critical.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison