Thread: New to Prince William Sound

Default New to Prince William Sound

I am new to this forum. I currently live in South Carolina, but I am moving to a remote area in Prince William Sound at the end of Feb and will be there until November. I will be located in lake bay which is on the southern end of esther island. I know there are great fly fishing opportunities there, but I don't have much experience with salmon. My background with a fly rod is mainly southeastern trout streams throwing small dry flies, nymphs (with indicators), streamers, and egg patterns. I will have access to a boat on most days, and I do not mind putting some mileage on my boots if it leads to either a scenic place or some fish! I have recently gotten addicted to fly tying. I have looked at the flies that are posted on here, and I have looked up a few others. I done decent amount of reading on what the trends are and when the runs are...but any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have a 5 weight that i mainly use for trout and an 8 weight that i have used in saltwater. I assume the 5 weight would be ok for trout dolly varden, steelhead, and grayling (if i were to venture out to find them) and the 8 weight would be good for most of the salmon species. I have read a lot of the post on this forum, and havent thought much about leaders and tippet. since i am going to be remote i am thinking i need to get a lot of it before i head out. I know nothing about fishing this area, and I would love any advice! I will be in anchorage for a day and a half before I head out I am planning on hitting a fly shop while I am there. The full day I will be in anchorage is a Sunday and the only one I could find open on Sunday is mountain view sports center,, will they be able to set me up with some good flies and some tying supplies and patterns or is there somewhere else you guys would suggest going on a Sunday.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Sportsmans Warehouse is open on Sundays also and they can set you up pretty good too for half the price. Just remember that one of the best fishing holes is right there at Lake bay.

I wouldn't use that 5wt for ocean run steelhead. Maybe for the rainbows and dolly varden, but I would stick with the 8wt for the steel and salmon.

In my opinion Mtn. View Sports would be a good choice for flies/materials/advice. I would make it a priority, personally.

I actually have a sportsman warehouse near me here. i realize that the one in anchorage will have more intel on whats going on in the area. I am going to stop by both. i have a lot of fly tying material, but i need to get intel on what pattern to use. since lake bay seems to be a popular area to fish, i need to figure out what differences i would tie for fresh compared to salt, i havent looked into what is different for fishing for salmon in salt vs fresh. thanks for the advice on the 8wt for the chrome steels i dont wanna break unless its worth it!

It's going to be tough fishing for the salmon with a fly rod before they enter the rivers and are out in the open water. Most guys don't flat line for fish and are running everything on down riggers. Your best bet with a fly rod for salmon is going to be when they are running up into the rivers and tributarties. Tie string leeches, egg sucking leeches, big maribou tube flies, flesh flies, etc. for the salmon. Pretty much anything 3-4" long and obnoxious will work. I use rabbit strip and maribou on a lot of my salmon flies since the material gives off a lot of action in the water. Don't be afraid to use a rappit strip tail and palmer some maribou for the body. It may look big, but the action in the water will be perfect.