Thread: Polaris Sportsman 6x6 with tracks

Default Polaris Sportsman 6x6 with tracks

I just picked up a new 6x6 and am very happy with my purchase. Thinking about putting the prospector pro tracks on it, when the man fund gets replenished. Does anyone on here have this setup, the newer 6x6 with tracks. Looking for performance in deep snow, maintance issues and any other pros cons.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

No one has this setup?

Polaris Part No 2878421 at $6,699.99, page 129, CANADA PURE POLARIS 2012 OFF-ROAD ACCESSORIES CATALOGE. Whats not to like???

Bruce.

I know of quite a few including myself with the new big boss, but none have spring for tracks. I have seriously considered them, but like you, would like to find some real world experience with them before I shell out th kind of cash. That said, if you decide to be the guinea pig, I look forward to some serious reports and pics!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I know this is a very old thread, but I have the tracks.

I got lucky and found a used set on CL.

I was very impressed with their performance - steering was not as bad as I had assumed. They are not real easy to swap back and forth though, so will likely just be a once a twice a year thing. It feels like a tank with them on, and too speed is about 25.

Jealous!!!

I had the Prospector Pros on my Ranger XP and wasn't very impressed with them on that rig anyway. They are very heavy and just can't be good on the drivetrain. Don't have the false hope it will transport your ride into an unstoppable snowmachines either....won't happen. Not fun trying to dig a tracked Ranger out of the powder,sigh. Also 2 planks along with me were my friend to get up and over hidden logs that stop tracks cold. It just ended up not making sense to me so I sold them and never looked back,I couldn't see using them on my moose hunt either traveling along rocky creek bottoms here and there....not only would it be a very rough ride I don't see them holding up to that kind of abuse at all. BUT....they are cool to look at :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Cwoods, but I think you would agree that's apples to oranges when you consider the rig. And I'm not saying these tracks make my rig a snowmachine either. I have not even tried my machine in 4 feet of fresh powder as that's not what I got it for.

First off, the tracks themselves are geared down about 50%, so there should not be much undo stress on the chassis or driveline. However I would never drive a 4x4 Ranger with tracks on soft snow of any kind. I'm guessing on flat ground it might do ok if you maintained your momentum.

My rig with these tracks weights approx 1,300lbs. But each side is about the equivalent of a long track mountain sled, in terms of square inches of flotation on the ground. So I figure the ground PSI is not that much more than a sled considering I have both sides.

I got these tracks to take the family to the cabin on the snowmachine trail, haul firewood, and just putz around in the settled snow. I've put probably 80 miles on them, and I'm thrilled.

I do NOT think they're work the $6,000 they're asking new, but man I think they're cool as heck to crawl around with. I've even climbed trees!! Haha! Driving this thing is so much different than a sled - with a sled, you carve, use momentum to your advantage, etc. With this, you're just crawling like a tank, and so far, I've only been stopped a couple times. But if I did get stopped by terrain or conditions, there's no use taking another "run" at it - you can't go that way, try another route.

Of course fuel economy goes down the drain with these. Yes, they gear down, but the machine still thinks you're doing double the speed you actually are. So your MPGs go from 7 to 3.5.

There are a couple sets of tracks for sale on CL right now - http://anchorage.craigslist.org/sno/4040473411.html

I would so buy these if I had the extra $$$$! Maybe next year. SD, have you used them on the trails in the summer? I am wondering about the rocks and streams.

There's another set on CL now from someone wanting to get a side-by-side: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/sno/4375341797.html