Thread: Fly, find moose & land/hunt?

Default Fly, find moose & land/hunt?

I know you cannot hunt the same day, but years ago I would read to hire your charter tofly until you find one, preferable two, legal moose before you land and hunt. I never hear about this anymore.

Everyone (charters) want to land me in their usual spot. This might be ok, but if their are not moose you are stuck. Other then the obvious you may not be able to land, and the cost getting higher and higher, does anyone still do this?

Why or why not?

It's ethically challenged? Transporters are trying to fly under the radar by not promoting or condoning it? Beats me. Have an example of some who have changed their tune?
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I don't think they do it anymore. Its illegal to spot moose from a plane, land, wait 24 hours and shoot it.... I don't think any transporter would want to do this risking losing their 135 certificate to operate.

But you can look for Trails and campsite areas etc......

It is illegal for a transporter to fly and spot game for you. That is when a transporter steps over the boundary from transporter to registered guide. While it is technically not illegal for a guide to fly and spot game, it is in their ethical guidelines that spotting from the air is considered unethical.

Transporters are now under intense scrutiny from law enforcement, guides, and their competition. Most that I have flown with in the last few years won't even entertain the thought of deviating a direct flight to spot game, now will they give you any specific advise on how to find animals.

There ya go. Thanks Doug, I knew it was an ethics thing for guides figured it was the same for a transporter. Illegal is a whole other matter.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

You know first hand the scrutiny that comes along with offering services to hunters I had one of my favorite pilots say that he really likes the rule. Takes the heat off of him when he can just say "I can't do that, it's illegal" If someone complains he says to call ADF&G. Also gets him off the hook when somebody is skunked. It allows him to concentrate on opperating a safe and efficient opperation.

AAAAHHHHH I did NOT know it was illegal! Makes perfect sense. It was a looong time ago (12 years or more) when I had read to be sure your transporter locates enough legal moose for your party before he lands.

Again I had no idea, I knew same day rule but not fly, find a moose, land, wait, shoot was illegal! Thanks a ton, saved me looking like a dofus asking.

Also:

I am adding some more info so you can better help you help me.

I am coming from Ohio, I have no transportation - yet

I have a local contact in Fairbanks, I do not have a budget. This does not mean I will spend $10,000. It does mean I am willing to spend little more for a good hunt.

My desire: I want to get a good caribou, nothing is for sure but all my research tells me this is a very reasonable goal. I am in great shape, I have a lot of experiance in remote/rough/harsh country hunting solo. I am more then happy to work as hard as humanly possible to make my hunt a success. I do not measure success by killing but I want to have a good hunt, not an expensive camping trip. I am in great shape and can pack 125 pounds a long ways and climb/hike as needed. I can mentally handle bad weather and rough days ad stay focused through the hunt as long as I know there is a reasonable chance.

In the lower 48 I have done extremely well - AK is a lot different. The thing that is driving me NUTS is, down here, if I am in a good unit, I can figure out where to go and hunt hard and do well. If required I can simply hike to a new area (I always backpack in now). However in AK if there are no moose around I am stuck on an expensive camping trip. This is making me nuts. I am basically forced to rely on my charter, I have gathered a TON of charter info/reviews/comments from completely unbiased sources. Many times I see a hunter make a comment or just say they went to AK and hunted and I contact them and ask about who they flew with and how it went. After ten years of doing this I have a great record of who is good/bad. I have it all in a word document so I can search by name.

However I am now learning that charters have certain spots they use, and that is it. I stronglyprefer to go into an area I can be reasonable confident that very few guys have gone (relatively speaking). This is not what I am hearing.

My goal is to work hard and have several encounters with animals I would harves if I could. This does not mean I see one legal moose 1 mile away and that is it. It does mean I get within 1/2 mile of legal moose (NR) at least 2-3 times in 9 days if I hunt hard. I know in 20a there are 60" bulls but I would be very very lucky to see one, let alone harvest one. A 55" bull is my goal.

I am willing to do my part but I want to know, that bar the worst of circumstances, I will have oppurtunities, it is up to me if I can make good on them.

I am know I have been blowing these forums up lately and I thank everyone for all the help. I did research this hunt a lot before I applied but I did not go into great detail since the draw odds were so low. I had called Wright Air and Golden Eagle in years past to discuss this hunt if I drew. However it did not occur to me I would be dropped in there typical spots, this is where my dilema is now, coupled trying to decide what dates are best.

Bottom line is right now I need to select a charter and dates FAST. After that I can get into more details. I am also going to add this info to my other posts.

Thanks again DonV OH

Best bet if budget allows is to wonder into the gray area and hire a hunt planner. They will put you into a well researched area that historically holds what you are looking for. This sites owner Mike Strahan offers just such a service as does Larry Bartlett with pristine ventures. Both know their stuff and the cost will be much less than hiring a guide.

Don- The real killer is that there have been airplanes hunting the area you are going to since the 1940's. Yes, there are gravel bars on rivers that provide new strips, but otherwise if it's landable somebody has done it already. Charter pilots are not in the habit of taking clients into a new untried strip. Have you considered a float hunt in the area, like on the Wood River?

To be honest I do not need a hunt planner, I can do what they do (most of it) myself. I need to find an exact area to go into, not a unit, or drainage. I do not want to brag (really) but I research more then most can ever imagine. I enjoy it! I read everything I can find. books, I google local names, guides, call other hunters, call BBB, call local hunting shops, archery shops, you name it I probably hae done it. Heck I have even contacted local politicians and secretaries to ask who they know who is a serious hunter in the area!

With a rifle I have taken ever game animal I have gone after, many I have never seen before in an area I have never been to. My bow success is well over 75% under the same circumstances. AK is different and being the planner I am is driving me crazy!

Don,

Maybe I missed something, but is your goal to get a good caribou, moose or both? Lots of great info from locals here. Perhaps I can help from the perspective of a midwesterner who travels to AK every year and hunts without guides, outfitters or planners. I spend a month in AK every year and will do my 11th year in a row this fall.

It is my bias, but I don't think you need help in the field to find and kill a moose (getting it out is the hardest part when alone). They aren't like our whitetails, however, so don't ever expect to see moose every day, regardless of where you are. Definitely no reason you can't get a decent caribou on your own - depending on what you consider a shooter.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you would like to talk or correspond.

Don Mulligan
    outdoorswithdon@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    To be honest I do not need a hunt planner, I can do what they do (most of it) myself. I need to find an exact area to go into, not a unit, or drainage. I do not want to brag (really) but I research more then most can ever imagine. I enjoy it! I read everything I can find. books, I google local names, guides, call other hunters, call BBB, call local hunting shops, archery shops, you name it I probably hae done it. Heck I have even contacted local politicians and secretaries to ask who they know who is a serious hunter in the area!

With a rifle I have taken ever game animal I have gone after, many I have never seen before in an area I have never been to. My bow success is well over 75% under the same circumstances. AK is different and being the planner I am is driving me crazy!
    And this is why your asking for a transporter that can find you two legal moose before you even land?? I guess I dont get it?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Here is how you ask. you ask to fly over the area on which you intead to hunt. To see you find easier ways to hike. Never had a transporter tell me no. It not a illegal to look at the area your hunting from the air. That's why 24 hour wait. You think private aircraft don't look at the area before they land.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Don, are you planning a drop camp or a float hunt?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I've never hear that it was illegal for a transporter to fly you around your hunt area before landing, whether they call it spotting or aeriel recon of the hunting area it's the same thing. They've done it for me before.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Thanks guys! And yes I would likely ask for a fly around had planned on it. 2 legal is moose is simply because it gives you a plan "B".

I have found someone I think will be perfect and work with me. I will post as i move forward.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

What about private planes? I have heard of guys who use their own planes to spot a bull, land, then pursue the bull the next day. I hear it doesn't work well, Is it legal for private planes to do it?
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Transporters may not "provide services in the field". Only guides can do that. A transporter is supposed to take you from point A to point B, or something like that. Scouting the countryside for any reason could be considered a "service".
    However, it gets murky, as going to point B may involve some time to find a safe landing area. Whatever a customer sees from the window during the search for a landing zone would be perfectly legal to use or pursue.
    Finding animals to kill and THEN searching for a useable landing area leads to mistakes. Finding a good landing area FIRST and then searching for critters is better.
    Perfectly legal to scout from private aircraft and hunt for the critters the next day.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

remember not seeing a legal moose from the air, don't mean there isn't one there. Even though your up in the sky, you can still only see X amount of the ground...don't let it dishearten you if you don't see anything.
    go as late in the season as you can, learn to call and sit IN ONE SPOT FOR AT LEAST THREE DAYS!!! let the moose find you, they better at it than you are at finding them. most guys call, then move, 2 days later the bull shows up and your long gone...be patient.
    maybe trust the air taxi where they drop you, they like happy clients too...most of them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212