Thread: Got my S&W Mdl 629 back today...

Default Got my S&W Mdl 629 back today...

I decided to send my 629-3 back to S&W for a general overhaul. I bought the gun new in Feb. 91 and it has seen a lot of use since. The barrel-cylinder gap had increased to around .011 and I was getting lot of crud build up in yoke which caused the cylinder to be hard to turn in cold weather. The crud appeared to be cast bullet lube- it probably won't have been a big issue with jacketed bullets.

I sent the gun off by prepaid Fed-Ex on the 6th and received it back today- a pretty quick turn-around and a week or so faster than I've had with my Ruger Redhawk.

In the return packing slip S&W stated the Customer Complaint was " B & C Open". They Repaired "Cut forcing cone" and "Turn barrel". It appears that they removed the barrel, set it back a turn, re-faced the breech end, recut the forcing cone, replaced the yoke, and cleaned up the yoke to frame fit.

Now is the gun is pretty much back good as new mechanically wise and will probably outlast me before it needs service again. It is getting pretty scratched up and externally worn by now but I see that as a badge of expereince - my guns don't have to be pretty.

My "hats-off" to S&W! I'll call them tomorrow and thank them. Good service needs to be rewarded even more than poor service deserves complaints.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

What was the barrel cylinder gap when the revolver was new?

Tvfin,

You say "my guns don't have to be pretty"

But in the other thread about the Red Hawk, you pi s s e d and moaned relentlessly about minor little tooling marks or the randomly obscure observations of your Red Hawk. They were nothing that effected the function or reliability of your Red Hawk, just simple appearance issues. After harrassing the Ruger customer service to the extent that you did, you never even shot it to realize it's accuracy potential before you sent it off again. I oftentimes question you're very apparent agenda, hypocrisy and your lack of objectivity.

I'm neither a Ruger nor a S&W devotee, just simply making an observation of your hypocritical behavior.

Wish I knew - but if I measured it then I don't recall or seem to have it recorded anywhere.

Also - I forgot to mention that S&W fixed it for free without proof that I was the orginal owner.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    What was the barrel cylinder gap when the revolver was new?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I didn't ask or expect S&W to do anything about the finish. If I had seen it back to be re-finished and it came back ugly and I accepted it that way it would indeed be hyprocritical. What I expect in a well used gun and what I expect in a new gun I buy are understandably different - hence my negative comments on the cosmetics of the new Redhawk.

Ruger can and should get the barrels screwed in straight - there is simply no excuse for shipping a gun back with the barrel out of index - period! I'll make no apologies for sending it back to get that corrected no matter how it well shoots! If my S&W had came back with the barrel crooked I'd be sending it back to them also.

When I called Ruger I was very polite and courtious - I had no reason to be unpleasant. I no idea why you say I was harrassing them when I attempted to get my defective gun fixed. My "object" is to get a defect free gun the way it should have been when I bought it - no less, no more. If that bothers you all I can say is "too bad".

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Tvfin,

You say "my guns don't have to be pretty"

But in the other thread about the Red Hawk, you pi s s e d and moaned relentlessly about minor little tooling marks or the randomly obscure observations of your Red Hawk. They were nothing that effected the function or reliability of your Red Hawk, just simple appearance issues. After harrassing the Ruger customer service to the extent that you did, you never even shot it to realize it's accuracy potential before you sent it off again. I oftentimes question you're very apparent agenda, hypocrisy and your lack of objectivity.

I'm neither a Ruger nor a S&W devotee, just simply making an observation of your hypocritical behavior.

In your opening post your stated the following

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I decided to send my 629-3 back to S&W for a general overhaul. I bought the gun new in Feb. 91 and it has seen a lot of use since. The barrel-cylinder gap had increased to around .011 and I was getting lot of crud build up in yoke which caused the cylinder to be hard to turn in cold weather. The crud appeared to be cast bullet lube- it probably won't have been a big issue with jacketed bullets.

Wish I knew - but if I measured it then I don't recall or seem to have it recorded anywhere.

Also - I forgot to mention that S&W fixed it for free without proof that I was the orginal owner.

Just wondered how much it had stretched

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    Just wondered how much it had stretched
    Iíve got a 357 Blackhawk that started at .005Ē gap when I got it used in the early 70s and itís now .014Ē . . . I guess my Rugerís cast frame must have stretched .009Ē? Here I had assumed gaps grow because of gas erosion of the forcing cone as hot gas vents between there every time itĎs fired.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default past the yield point...

You must have shot a bunch of hot loads that stressed the frame past the yield point of the steel to get that much permanent deformation or "stretch"!

It would be interesting to put a strain gage on the top strap and see just how much the frame is stressed. It couldn't be very much. Perhaps Murphy can help us out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Iíve got a 357 Blackhawk that started at .005Ē gap when I got it used in the early 70s and itís now .014Ē . . . I guess my Rugerís cast frame must have stretched .009Ē? Here I had assumed gaps grow because of gas erosion of the forcing cone as hot gas vents between there every time itĎs fired.

You must have shot a bunch of hot loads that stressed the frame past the yield point of the steel to get that much permanent deformation or "stretch"!

It would be interesting to put a strain gage on the top strap and see just how much the frame is stressed. It couldn't be very much. Perhaps Murphy can help us out on that.
    Yea them 357s are mean I guess.
    I also doubt there is all that much force there to stretch anything out, I have a bunch of 44s here that donít even have a top strap at all including a Uberti Walker that is 44 Special like in power. They were made to blow the front off if you chain fire, Iíve done it and itís exciting but the thing only goes 5 to 10 foot being pushed by 6 charges all at once.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I too have an old Blackhawk with a huge cylinder gap Andy. I don't know how many rounds it took to get it that way as I've only had it 3yrs and have only burnt about 1000 rds through it, mostly 38s. What I do know is that the ugly old thing is one of the most accurate handguns I own, give my custom 1911 a run for it's money almost. Crazy how that works sometimes.

Mine has always been crazy accurate and still is, thatís why I havenít done anything with it. I think mine is a looker, 90% of the bluing is gone, there is a flat spot on the side of the muzzle and the ejector housing is down past the screw head on the front from rubbing in a holster horse back for years. The grips are slabs I whittled from scrap fence post oak to fit me just right years ago after the stock ones broke from landing on a rock . . . still drives tacks from 100 yards though and I love that pretty ole thing!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona